Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos (REPORT)

1 hour ago, Ebumbu said:

Does anyone know the Savannakhet requirements for the so-called "retirement visa"? I mean Type O for purposes of retirement. Do they check financials? What else is needed? Do you get 90 days? Thanks. 

I thought I saw some older expats with a lot of paperwork so I assume they needed to show financial papers too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ebumbu said:

Does anyone know the Savannakhet requirements for the so-called "retirement visa"? I mean Type O for purposes of retirement. Do they check financials? What else is needed? Do you get 90 days? Thanks. 

This is the info on the RTC web site for Non O based on retirement

686661605_ScreenShot2019-10-03at19_14_34.png.fa6a1297d4e96e9b78eb6dfcdf1a997f.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joninisaan said:

I provided what @gzu88bv wrote on a forum post from 2014 but the document requirements are the same:

- visa application (see Application.jpg)

- 2 pictures attached to the application

- original marriage certificate

- 1 copy of marriage certificate, i.e. front and back page copied back to back on a single sheet with no date and signature on it (see Marriage Certificate Front and Back Page.jpg)

- 1 copy of my passport front page dated 15.01.2013 and signed by me

- 1 copy of my wife’s ID card, front and back page copied on a single front sheet, dated 15.1.2013 and signed by my wife only

- 1 copy of my wife’s Blue Book (Tabian Ban) copied on a single front sheet dated 15.01.2013 and signed by my wife only

- 5000 Baht visa fee

-He even attached the application form but I saved it on my computer with the information typed in already, so I can't send an attachment for it. If you would like an attachment for the application form, ask @gzu88bv

The price was the same: 5000 baht

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure why a few people bothered leaving stupid face emojis below my question, I thought that info was absolutely necessary for the visa trip itself... 

I had read that info from the poster a few years ago but appreciate a more recent account ????

Edited by MaiDong
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

The same as my experience back in Feb. Didn't know there was free parking at the Thai border though. I paid same as OP.

I got the bus across the bridge. It had disappeared once I'd done the Lao visa. I don't think it goes on to Savannaket, just picks up passengers going back to Thailand. So a tuk tuk or  taxi the only way in to town.

just a question on the secure undercover  parking on left hand side just before the outdoors free parking, is the price 100B a day as last time I was there they asked 250B per day please confirm thanks

On 10/3/2019 at 11:59 PM, MaiDong said:

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure why a few people bothered leaving stupid face emojis below my question, I thought that info was absolutely necessary for the visa trip itself... 

I had read that info from the poster a few years ago but appreciate a more recent account ????

Actually the info from @gzu88bv is a few years ago but like he mentioned to me, the info is still relevant.

On 10/4/2019 at 6:51 AM, dutchdog3000 said:

just a question on the secure undercover  parking on left hand side just before the outdoors free parking, is the price 100B a day as last time I was there they asked 250B per day please confirm thanks

Come to think of it, I think I was quoted 250B as the lady said she wouldn't count the third day and only charged me for 2 days which I paid 500B.

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 11:59 PM, MaiDong said:

I wouldn't know for the stupid face emoji as to me any question is a good question. Maybe the ones putting the stupid face emojis was just playing around. 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:55 PM, nightfox said:

200 bht turns to 1,000 bht easily when your getting ripped off and dont know the prices and paying tuk tuks 100-200 bht to take you to the consulate, hotel and back. Some people just dont like getting ripped off regardless the amount as you can flag any tuk tuk down that's not waiting at the consulate and he will take you to the boarder for 50 bht.

I will keep in mind what you wrote next year when I go back to apply for a new visa.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, ozfarang said:

This is the info on the RTC web site for Non O based on retirement

686661605_ScreenShot2019-10-03at19_14_34.png.fa6a1297d4e96e9b78eb6dfcdf1a997f.png

Sorry I can't give you an answer to your question about financial statements but I would at least have it on hand if it's listed on the web page for the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet but I would assume it's the same like my type O visa which is one year with 90 day reporting needed.

1. Pay the border fee in USD, around 1100-1150 TB currently, when changed at a border in Laos.

2. I dunno why people always book a room at the Avalon or any of those nearby to the consulate hotels.

There is nothing around that area of town.

Better to book/find somewhere downtown near the river or the night market.

Bars, live music, restaurants etc etc - great part of town.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

1. Pay the border fee in USD, around 1100-1150 TB currently, when changed at a border in Laos.

2. I dunno why people always book a room at the Avalon or any of those nearby to the consulate hotels.

So true about downtown, but I'd prefer it if most stay away, at the Avalon ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Its called convenience, regardless where your staying  Savannakhet is still a boring sleepy boarder town.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nightfox said:

Its called convenience, regardless where your staying  Savannakhet is still a boring sleepy boarder town.

It is as you describe but easy to get multi entry Non-Imm O.

I'll be going next month for mine, as I have done on several previous occasions. No hassles on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Maybe that's because you stay "conveniently" around/nearby to the consulate.

People who don't want to be "bored" and are prepared to be "inconvenienced", get out a bit more, explore the place, and have a great night out where there is laughter & music and great food and drink and plenty of uni students enjoying a night out.

A great "ambience" as they say.

I've been coming to Savannakhet for 15 years now, and it is better every year, exponentially better than say, even 5 years ago.

Edit,

hanging around with other visa runners is not my idea of a night out, let alone expanding my horizons.

Having a night out with Laos students, eating, drinking and chatting with them, listening to good pub bands playing Laos/Thai songs is my idea of a good night out in a far away town.

You enjoy yourself out there now...

+1
if make a little effort plenty see and do for a night or 2 and far healthier than the convenience of hanging around a hotel with bunch of visa runners .

Even from avalon it only 20 minutes walk down to old town .

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:59 PM, joninisaan said:

The free parking is a little cramped parking lot right after the exit of the paid parking. I think its worth paying for parking unless you have a beat up car or truck that you dont care people putting dents in it opening their door and clipping driving around in the little free parking lot. I usually do a 90 day border hop at Nakhon Phanom and the the guy who collects the tickets which they didnt do at Mukdahan asks me if I'm going and coming back. They didnt ask me at Mukdahan and when I was through passport control in Laos, I didnt see the bus anymore and all the other foreigners who were on my bus were all waving tuk tuks too.

Agree the Mukdahan covered parking is worth the extra, and the Laos tuk-tuk drivers are a rip-off (even the Laos bus driver was complianing last time, said they would, 'Get us a bad name'.... I kept a straight face when my wife translated.

This is a bit off topic but - what's it like dong a border hop at Nakhon Phanom or Mukdahan? I've got a ME 'O' visa and usually make a day-trip of my 90 day border run. I feel a bit uncomfortable with simply going across the bridge, grabbing my Laos visa, walking round the building and back out again. Any problems at either?

Thanks. 

On 10/9/2019 at 3:02 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Maybe that's because you stay "conveniently" around/nearby to the consulate.

People who don't want to be "bored" and are prepared to be "inconvenienced", get out a bit more, explore the place, and have a great night out where there is laughter & music and great food and drink and plenty of uni students enjoying a night out.

A great "ambience" as they say.

I've been coming to Savannakhet for 15 years now, and it is better every year, exponentially better than say, even 5 years ago.

Edit,

hanging around with other visa runners is not my idea of a night out, let alone expanding my horizons.

Having a night out with Laos students, eating, drinking and chatting with them, listening to good pub bands playing Laos/Thai songs is my idea of a good night out in a far away town.

You enjoy yourself out there now...

Sorry but if I would rather watch paint dry which is more exiting then your described good night out.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nightfox said:

Sorry but if I would rather watch paint dry which is more exiting then your described good night out.

You carry on broadening your horizons watching paint dry and having stimulating conversations with visa runners then, whilst getting stuck into your cheeseburger, followed by an early evening on your laptop checking on your share options.....

And i'll continue to enjoy myself with the Lao youth and middle class watching a decent live band, eating fresh steamed lime fish and a good yam, drinking copious quantities of Beer Lao, watching the sunset and improving my Lao dialect.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

I've just arrived in Savannakhet, I've been reliably informed that yesterday someone had to show bank statements for a multi entry non o visa based on marriage, any other recent experiences from you lot? 

No it's BS from an unreliable source.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No it's BS from an unreliable source.

Just heard from an Australian bloke that he applied for a non o single entry today and wasn't asked for financials. 

I've checked the Thai consulate in Savannakhet website and there doesn't seem to be any mention of requiring financials to apply, however, there's also no info on multi entries, so it seems that option is unavailable for us too... 

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

I've just arrived in Savannakhet, I've been reliably informed that yesterday someone had to show bank statements for a multi entry non o visa based on marriage, any other recent experiences from you lot? 

Was there today, no request for financials.

Only about 15 people there today, very painless.

• Thanks 2

@JaiLai 

Were you doing a non-O based on retirement by chance? If so, what did you use for item 5 in the list of required docs? Even with UbonJoe's translation of what the Thai says ("5. Certificate of retirement from the embassy of that person with that nationality"), I am still not sure what they mean/want. Is it just a form you fill out swearing that you are retired and that the US consulate then stamps? All the other requirements are clear but that one stumps me.

Thanks

• Thanks 1