BANGKOK
joninisaan

Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos (REPORT)

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Maybe that's because you stay "conveniently" around/nearby to the consulate.

People who don't want to be "bored" and are prepared to be "inconvenienced", get out a bit more, explore the place, and have a great night out where there is laughter & music and great food and drink and plenty of uni students enjoying a night out.

A great "ambience" as they say.

I've been coming to Savannakhet for 15 years now, and it is better every year, exponentially better than say, even 5 years ago.

Edit,

hanging around with other visa runners is not my idea of a night out, let alone expanding my horizons.

Having a night out with Laos students, eating, drinking and chatting with them, listening to good pub bands playing Laos/Thai songs is my idea of a good night out in a far away town.

You enjoy yourself out there now...

+1
if make a little effort plenty see and do for a night or 2 and far healthier than the convenience of hanging around a hotel with bunch of visa runners .

Even from avalon it only 20 minutes walk down to old town .

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

+1
if make a little effort plenty see and do for a night or 2 and far healthier than the convenience of hanging around a hotel with bunch of visa runners .

Even from avalon it only 20 minutes walk down to old town .

The only trouble with walking at night from the Avalon down to the old town, the last time I was there, was the prevalence of unfriendly dogs. Carrying a big stick, and making it clear to the mongrels that you will make full use of it if they come within reach, is recommended.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 4:59 PM, joninisaan said:

The free parking is a little cramped parking lot right after the exit of the paid parking. I think its worth paying for parking unless you have a beat up car or truck that you dont care people putting dents in it opening their door and clipping driving around in the little free parking lot. I usually do a 90 day border hop at Nakhon Phanom and the the guy who collects the tickets which they didnt do at Mukdahan asks me if I'm going and coming back. They didnt ask me at Mukdahan and when I was through passport control in Laos, I didnt see the bus anymore and all the other foreigners who were on my bus were all waving tuk tuks too.

Agree the Mukdahan covered parking is worth the extra, and the Laos tuk-tuk drivers are a rip-off (even the Laos bus driver was complianing last time, said they would, 'Get us a bad name'.... I kept a straight face when my wife translated.

This is a bit off topic but - what's it like dong a border hop at Nakhon Phanom or Mukdahan? I've got a ME 'O' visa and usually make a day-trip of my 90 day border run. I feel a bit uncomfortable with simply going across the bridge, grabbing my Laos visa, walking round the building and back out again. Any problems at either?

Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, RickBlaine said:

Any problems at either?

No problem to cross, enter Laos, turnaround and come right back.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:02 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Maybe that's because you stay "conveniently" around/nearby to the consulate.

People who don't want to be "bored" and are prepared to be "inconvenienced", get out a bit more, explore the place, and have a great night out where there is laughter & music and great food and drink and plenty of uni students enjoying a night out.

A great "ambience" as they say.

I've been coming to Savannakhet for 15 years now, and it is better every year, exponentially better than say, even 5 years ago.

Edit,

hanging around with other visa runners is not my idea of a night out, let alone expanding my horizons.

Having a night out with Laos students, eating, drinking and chatting with them, listening to good pub bands playing Laos/Thai songs is my idea of a good night out in a far away town.

You enjoy yourself out there now...

Sorry but if I would rather watch paint dry which is more exiting then your described good night out.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nightfox said:

Sorry but if I would rather watch paint dry which is more exiting then your described good night out.

You carry on broadening your horizons watching paint dry and having stimulating conversations with visa runners then, whilst getting stuck into your cheeseburger, followed by an early evening on your laptop checking on your share options.....

And i'll continue to enjoy myself with the Lao youth and middle class watching a decent live band, eating fresh steamed lime fish and a good yam, drinking copious quantities of Beer Lao, watching the sunset and improving my Lao dialect.