BKK to NYC with a cat....connecting flights

Anyone done this before can help with details? I have spoken to China-Southern but apparently can't do with connecting flights... They have the best prices by far, but I can't seem to find even pricier options non-stop...

Maybe another airline that does allow on 1x or 2x flights?

Or some airline that has non-stop that allows cats and decent pricing?

Any help appreciated

1 hour ago, bubba45 said:

I just flew Chiang Mai to Dallas on Korean. They allow pets in the cabin. Route was CNX-SEL-DFW. 

Korean would also be an option from BKK.

Three hour layover in Seoul (ICN).

I moved to Thailand from Australia in March and brought my cat.   None of the airlines would do it through a private booking.   The reason being is that there are requirements for both exporting and importing, and they want to be sure the paperwork is in order.   So the total cost was more than a business class fare.

There are many things to consider including ongoing vaccination records, and whatever other requirements are for importing.  Also the length of time the cat has to spend (they have dedicated temperature controlled holds for transporting animals - usually max of 2 animals per flight).  Best to pay extra for a direct flight if it is possible IMO and minimise the stress of travel.

The company I used in Aus partnered with a local Thai company, who delivered the cat to Pattaya.  On arrival at BKK, the cat had to remain in customs overnight as the arrival was after hours, so no one from the relevant section was available to clear it until the following day.  The point here being there are all kinds of considerations.

the local company was excellent and provided at least 5 updates (including photos) from the time of arrival until delivery the following day.  Best to speak to someone that deals with this professionally so you have a full understanding of the requirements.  It would be devastating to arrive and find out moggy  has to go back to BKK because of non compliance with some detail.

the Thai partner company was http://www.unitedpetexpress.com.  Person I dealt with was Nomtan, and she was very informative and helpful.  It was still very stressful for the cat and took the best part of a week to get back to normal routines.

good luck

I was a dipomat to Pakistan and there were still a lot of hurdles for my cat

You should never try to ship a pet by yourself let the pros do it

Contact someone in your destination and Sk if they have a company here they deal with

2 hours ago, Mick501 said:

(they have dedicated temperature controlled holds for transporting animals - usually max of 2 animals per flight).

That is assuming they load your critter into the correct hold and someone informs the pilot who in turn remembers to turn the heat and air on! A Veterinarian informed me that most animals he has experience of sending by air, come out freezing cold and several died. It is minus 60 degrees at 30,000 ft!

Best to hand carry the cat yourself on the plane. Safe.

I have hand carried and flown a cat Bkk to San Francisco with Korean Air, transit connection in Korea was several hours but cat was accepted in the Incheon transit air terminal hotel with me.

1. The airlines all have different regs on the maximum size the cat carrying box must be. This appears to be based on the box being able to fit between the seats (and every model of aircraft is different, so what is accepted on one flight may not fit on your connecting flight).

2. A maximum of two animals / flight.

3. USA did not ask for any medical papers. But this reg may have changed, so check with US Embassy and airline.

The Korean air crew were alright but not overly enthusiastic, (they eat cats in Korea!)

Cats hate to be moved and need to be kept in their new home for several days before being allowed outdoors, or they have a habit of wandering off in search of their old home.

19 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

That is assuming they load your critter into the correct hold and someone informs the pilot who in turn remembers to turn the heat and air on! A Veterinarian informed me that most animals he has experience of sending by air, come out freezing cold and several died. It is minus 60 degrees at 30,000 ft!

Best to hand carry the cat yourself on the plane. Safe.

I have hand carried and flown a cat Bkk to San Francisco with Korean Air, transit connection in Korea was several hours but cat was accepted in the Incheon transit air terminal hotel with me.

1. The airlines all have different regs on the maximum size the cat carrying box must be. This appears to be based on the box being able to fit between the seats (and every model of aircraft is different, so what is accepted on one flight may not fit on your connecting flight).

2. A maximum of two animals / flight.

3. USA did not ask for any medical papers. But this reg may have changed, so check with US Embassy and airline.

The Korean air crew were alright but not overly enthusiastic, (they eat cats in Korea!)

Cats hate to be moved and need to be kept in their new home for several days before being allowed outdoors, or they have a habit of wandering off in search of their old home.

https://www.jetpets.com.au/overseas-pet-travel/usa/

image.thumb.png.c30980ff324be0745cbb879961abfc76.png

This is from the website of the company I used, with info about transport in the hold.   Can't imagine how an animal could not be listed on the manifest, and suspect pilots wouldn't be too happy if they found out they had not been told.

Great if you can find a way to hand carry.

Probably find some good advice on US customs website, and/or pet travel companies regarding paperwork and other considerations.   Every country has different regulations.  Just the import permit to Thailand was something like US$600.

Korean Air (KE) and Asiana (OZ) both allow in cabin pets up to a certain size, which would include most cats.  All veterinary and customs arrangements for pets to travel must be carefully observed for this to work successfully and without hassle.

So, one connection in Seoul should get you and your cat to JFK from BKK in the cabin.  That is definitely the best option I can think of.  I would never want my beloved cats in the cargo hold.

On 10/3/2019 at 3:22 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Korean would also be an option from BKK.

Three hour layover in Seoul (ICN).

So then I'm assuming cats on Korean on connecting flights no problem?..What about as checked baggage? My cats will be meowing like crazy the entire flight... I think people would be <deleted>... I know I would

I've also found Qatar allows as checked with connecting flights... Something like $700 BKK to NYC for ticket and $300 for a cat. $1000 total, one-way.

BTW, Properly, USA requires nothing for dogs and cats, though some states require proof of vaccination, and they are subject to inspection for obvious signs of infectious disease. So it's only Thailand and airline regulations am concerned about.

Thanks all for answers so far...

I moved to Thailand from Australia in March and brought my cat.   None of the airlines would do it through a private booking.   The reason being is that there are requirements for both exporting and importing, and they want to be sure the paperwork is in order.   So the total cost was more than a business class fare.

There are many things to consider including ongoing vaccination records, and whatever other requirements are for importing.  Also the length of time the cat has to spend (they have dedicated temperature controlled holds for transporting animals - usually max of 2 animals per flight).  Best to pay extra for a direct flight if it is possible IMO and minimise the stress of travel.

The company I used in Aus partnered with a local Thai company, who delivered the cat to Pattaya.  On arrival at BKK, the cat had to remain in customs overnight as the arrival was after hours, so no one from the relevant section was available to clear it until the following day.  The point here being there are all kinds of considerations.

the local company was excellent and provided at least 5 updates (including photos) from the time of arrival until delivery the following day.  Best to speak to someone that deals with this professionally so you have a full understanding of the requirements.  It would be devastating to arrive and find out moggy  has to go back to BKK because of non compliance with some detail.

the Thai partner company was http://www.unitedpetexpress.com.  Person I dealt with was Nomtan, and she was very informative and helpful.  It was still very stressful for the cat and took the best part of a week to get back to normal routines.

good luck

Many airlines will allow cat in the cabin.

Bringing pet from Thailand to USA is pretty simple as no special requirements at US end unless you go to Hawaii. Customs officer asked to see rabies vaccine certificate only when I did it. And the Thai side when living in Thailand is pretty easy to do.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So then I'm assuming cats on Korean on connecting flights no problem?..What about as checked baggage? My cats will be meowing like crazy the entire flight... I think people would be ... I know I would  

I've also found Qatar allows as checked with connecting flights... Something like $700 BKK to NYC for ticket and $300 for a cat. $1000 total, one-way.

BTW, Properly, USA requires nothing for dogs and cats, though some states require proof of vaccination, and they are subject to inspection for obvious signs of infectious disease. So it's only Thailand and airline regulations am concerned about.

Thanks all for answers so far...

Korean allows the cat in the cabin. My car meowed a lot but with the ambient background noise of tbe plane only I heard it. 

I did upgrade to business class when I did this and much recommend it if possible.

I have seen people with their dogs on their laps, out of tbeir carry case, on KE flights! Obviously not something you'd want to try with a cat.

The Soeul-NY segment is long so need to figure out bathroom arrangements. Cats hate to pee/poop inside their carry cases and it would really stress them to do so. (Another reason not to put a cat in tbe hold).

I brought with me a portable folding litter box and small amount of litter and periodically brought the cat into the bathroom and set it up for him to use. This is a lot easier to do in a Business class toilet than economy though not totally impossible in economy.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived