TransferWise still working well

Transferwise was used to hack my credit card in Australia 2 weeks ago...investigation still pending, but bank staff mentioned it's happened before 

you mean there was fraud on your credit card and they think the details came from transferwise?

fraud on my credit card yesterday, not obvious the cause, bank suggested a hack in the past

• Like 1

I use TW to transfer funds from my Australian account to my K Bank account. Never a problem. However I sometimes get a message saying I need to update the TW Bank details from Macquarie to Chase yet I can find no way to do it. An email exchange with TW replied with no worries we still have access to Macquarie Bank. Go figure.

Dumb question time so apologies in advance but how do you get your TW transfer tagged to get them to send to your Thai bank (Kasikorn in my case) using the same bank. 

Can it be done on line or the TW app or is it simply a phone call. ?

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
22 hours ago, jacko45k said:
More accurately, it may not get processed as an International payment... you make it sound like they would deliberately route it through a different Thai Bank. I expect if people do not have accounts at one of the 3 banks T/W use, that would likely still happen. 

Nope. Previous threads have said if the transaction is not tagged to use the same partner bank as your bank then they may use one of the other 2 partner banks. Also if the correct drop down option isn't chosen it may be processed as domestic

I believe that is what I said.

I doubt they would deliberately route it via a another bank than your own, just use the one that suits them best. Previously Bangkok Bank was working 90%+ of the time, before they came up with the new drop down option to 'ensure' it. 

18 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

If you want your transfers to arrive directly to your Thai bank account, it's not rocket science, you use the system that TW have set up and advise. Why would you use different options and still expect your transfers to arrive as you would like it to.

Well I recall when I used TW, the one transfer that arrived 'domestic' via another local bank was actually faster than the so called direct International ones. But a moot point for me, I am still using 800k sitting pretty. Transferwise concerns me when I hear the local IOs are asking for proof of funds from the source end, ie your home country, to ensure they meet their created requirement that they must be pension funds.

8 hours ago, sumrit said:

Yes, you simply phone them up with your TW account number and your Kasikorn Bank details and ask them to tag all your future transfers to be routed directly to your Kasikorn account. That only needs to be done once. Then when sending future transfers you only have select your reason for transfer in the drop down box to the 'long term living in Thailand' option. 

Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Well I recall when I used TW, the one transfer that arrived 'domestic' via another local bank was actually faster than the so called direct International ones. But a moot point for me, I am still using 800k sitting pretty. Transferwise concerns me when I hear the local IOs are asking for proof of funds from the source end, ie your home country, to ensure they meet their created requirement that they must be pension funds.

I honestly can't see a major problem with that.

We all know, up until the end of last year, that as well as people using the system correctly, there were many others who simply used an affidavit to declare an income figure that didn't actually exist knowing the information would never be checked/confirmed and that made a mockery of the Immigration rules. So now, if using the monthly income method, Immigration might ask for proof of the origin of a persons income in an attempt to show the income isn't simply the same money being recycled every month or from people working in Thailand illegally.................and why shouldn't they ask?

On 10/3/2019 at 9:01 PM, sumrit said:

Nobody can guarantee 100% that there will never be an occasional blip in the system but what TW have done is talk to their three partner banks in Thailand who have agreed that should a rogue transfer go initially to the 'wrong' bank, that bank will supply us a 'Credit Advice Receipt' to confirm the transfer originated from abroad.

Good you have your Plan B in place and proven out, others may not be so lucky as there were reports of branches not supplying the "Credit Advice Receipt" or the "Confirmation Letter of International Transfer" which was the other document used to provide evidence (and only 10 baht in one report).

On 10/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, gk10002000 said:

As I prep for possible retirement visa and extensions and wanting to use the income method (USA citizen).  I despise this monthly transfer being enforced now due to US Embassy being lazy and unwilling to work out a solution to the embassy letters.  Having said that, visiting Transfer wise website today, I see that transferring $2,200 USD to Thailand would result in 66,689 Thai Baht, and a cost to me of $21 USD.  So for a year, that would be 21 x 12 or $252.   Not an earth shaking amount but still measurable and wasteful, when a more reasonable say transfer every 3 months could be done.

I started to open an "account" with transferwise to check out how they set things up.  I didn't get too far because I was not ready to give them all my personal Information yet.  I presume you somehow indicate the personal bank account you want the funds to come from, and then later you enter the Thai bank account you want the funds to go to.   I note they ask for a mobile phone number.  That may be problematic since my USA phone and number probably will not work in Thailand.  Do they send confirmation or verification code notices and things that you are required to enter when doing transfers?  Or do you just log in from a computer somewhere?  Also, do they allow you to set up repeat transfers, like once a month on the 15th for example?

It should be a great deal cheaper than that. If you use transferwise bank transfer option? (not credit card or debit card)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your stars must be in alignment as I did the same at about the same time today to a US account and it is due 16 or 17 October.  

Same with me,

Transferred from the UK this morning, they say arrival 15th October.

Normally it's same or next day.

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

I did a transfer from the UK via Transferwise this morning at 09:30 Thai time. Was in my account here an hour later. Pleasantly surprised as most previous ones have taken a day or two.

I've found if you initiate the transfer before 9:00am Thai time you will get the second email within an hour or so to confirm your transfer has arrived in your Thai Bank and will be in your account when your bank does their normal daily updates. Bangkok Bank for example update the account at 2:00pm each day. I normally initiate my transfers at around 7-8:00am and get the second email by about 9:00am. It's then available to use from my BKKB account from 2:00pm the same day.

If you initiate the transfer after 9:00am Thai time you will usually have to wait 24 hours or so for completion, although it can still arrive sooner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Same with me,

Transferred from the UK this morning, they say arrival 15th October.

Normally it's same or next day.

It is Friday now before a 3 day weekend when the banks will be closed. So the 15th is the next day that banks are working to accept the transfer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Fm US to Thai rather than from UK.  Sorry as see could be misunderstood.

From reading the countless posts from US expats on this forum since the changes in Transfer requirements came into force, I get the impression that the US Governments obsession with money laundering regulations, plus their more more complex and diverse banking system, causes a lot of the delays experienced by many expats from the US.

The UK appears to have a different monitoring system which means we can transfer money, for everyday living expenses, without any problems or delays.

Edited by sumrit

45 minutes ago, tilac01 said:

lopburi3,

I believe you are a US citizen. Did you have to provide Transferwise your US bank password when setting up your account? I am hesitant to do so. Have you had any issues?

thanks..

No issues at all - it is done through a secure 3rd party access site in my understanding just to prove ownership.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So transferred from the UK Friday @ 37.8.

Did another transfer today @ 38.4.

Both arrived this afternoon, Fridays via another bank (SMART), todays as international (FTT)

Is that a first?

I assume you did both transfers using Transferwise.

Is the Thai bank you're transferring to tagged in your TW account and did you use the correct/same 'reason for transfer' for both transfers?

For the SMART transfer what Thai bank did it go via and what is the Thai bank you transfer to?

Edited by john terry1001