The 21st dugong found dead in fish net in sea off Phang-nga province

webfact

The 21st dugong found dead in fish net in sea off Phang-nga province

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM75P7Am0QjUHVUqWrdPDP7EUF

Another dugong, the 21st this year, has been found dead, trapped in fish net in the sea off Khura Buri district of Thailand’s southern province of Phang-nga.

Dr. Thon Thamrongnawasawat, vice dean of the Fisheries Faculty at Kasetsart University, said in his Facebook post today (Wednesday) that 21 deaths was the highest number recorded in one year for the endangered sea mammals in Thailand.

He said that the dugong found in the sea off Laem Mai Tai, Ban Thung Rak in Khura Buri district, which is abundant with sea grass, the staple food of dugongs, is one of the 12 zones under “Mariam Project” which works for the conservation of dugongs.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-21st-dugong-found-dead-in-fish-net-in-sea-off-phang-nga-province/

thaipbs.jpg

Really a shame, I’m a fisherman and did quite a bit of shore and ocean fishing in Florida when I lived there, I’ve tried to fisha few times here at the ocean both in the gulf of Thailand and the Andaman.  I also am a 20 year scuba diver and it seems like the fishery in Thailand is pretty much wiped out.  Small reef fish and the occasional migrating pelagic but you will not see fish in abundance here outside of the few protected scuba sites.  Snorkeling in Thailand also is pretty sad as you can literally watch dozens of Chinese people at a time trampling the coral while their guides don’t do a thing.

Archived