Finished PGCEi - Licence application Rejected

Hello  All

I finished my PGCEi - handed in my final assignment weeks ago but don't get the award confirmation until early December

I included my enrollment document which showed the period of study 10 Oct 2018-1 Oct 2019 but my work permit was rejected (the day after my study period ended ironically)

I've reached my waiver limit (6 years on a temporary license) but believed proof of enrollment would be enough to get me another waiver

Does Krusapha require award confirmation for a waiver now??

I'm flummoxed what to do as my visa runs out on 26 November.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Well, congratulations on six waivers. It must be a record. Present your transcript and a letter of completion, course description from the school they should give you another waiver. Seems to work for the Filipino school. If this was an Internet PGCE you may have issues. I believe a requirement is no 100% internet based courses. If the school has been regularly approved by TCT prior maybe not. Best of luck.

Just to confirm- You got turned down for your visa, not by TCT?  I guess if immigration don't see the paper from TCT that they expect, they will reject as a matter of course.  One would hope that TCT will recognise that you have finished the course if you show them evidence, and therefore grant you a staggering 7th waiver until your documentation comes through, but of course you can't assume anything here.  I would get onto them as a matter of urgency.

I think I have seen other people with the Notts one saying that it has been approved.

The TCT turned me down. I changed schools and i got on a 60 day tourist visa for the probation period. I converted that visa to a 90 day B visa and my new school applied for a new work permit (pgcei letter of enrollment included) which was rejected by TCT today.

I'd assumed that proof of enrollment demonstrated the prescribed professional development. I'm hoping that a final grade document (which means that a certificate is on the way of course) would be enough to get me the waiver given I'd be eligible for a 5 year license a few more weeks down the line. 

1 minute ago, LuckyLucas said:

The TCT turned me down. I changed schools and i got on a 60 day tourist visa for the probation period. I converted that visa to a 90 day B visa and my new school applied for a new work permit (pgcei letter of enrollment included) which was rejected by TCT today.

I'd assumed that proof of enrollment demonstrated the prescribed professional development. I'm hoping that a final grade document (which means that a certificate is on the way of course) would be enough to get me the waiver given I'd be eligible for a 5 year license a few more weeks down the line. 

It can take a while for your university to send the required documents. Can you contact them to see how long it will take and if its possible to fast track it?

Having spoken with an experienced tutor today, she said the next step would be to send the grade email which may be enough.

I had opportunity to submit the final assignment early for an early grade which I could have done as I'd finished but continued tinkering with it aiming for a higher grade.

I'd been thinking all along that proof of enrollment was all that was required.  

17 hours ago, LuckyLucas said:

my new school applied for a new work permit (pgcei letter of enrollment included) which was rejected by TCT today.

Was the Work Permit rejected or the Teacher's License Waiver rejected?

Normally, you get the TL or TL waiver first, and then apply for the WP, as they are issued by different offices.  The TCT issues TLs and Waivers and the Dept. of Labor issues the WPs.  If your new school has not hired a lot of foreign teachers, they may not understand how the process works and may have tried to do things out of order.

The U of Nottingham PGCEi is definitely good for getting a TL, I've known 4 people who have done it and gotten TLs from the TCT (two of them moved up to teaching at International Schools).

On 10/4/2019 at 11:40 AM, clarky cat said:

how many different schools in those 6 years?

was the PGCEi difficult?

Every time you change employer, you must get a new waiver. I would therefore think that OP has been at the same school for those 3 waivers.

I've had 6 years (at the same school) on a temporary license and changed schools to a well-known change of schools in pattaya. The problem stems from TCT not accepting my stage in acquiring the PGCEi I think.

My tutor says that maybe the TCT won't accept until I have a copy of the certificate (which was news to me as i thought enrollment amounted to professional development). I get my final grade on 22/10, my visa expires 26/11 and the certificates are obtainable from 'early December'.

I'm going to send my final grade document, with a print out of a specific supporting email from my Notts uni tutor on 23/10 and hope for the best.

If the TCT reject again. I need to acquire another toutist vise to convert to B visa and reapply for my TL/WP again in December, right? 

The PGCEi is full on. Grading on par with a UK uni. It was interesting and insightful for me. I'm aiming for a merit profile which is kind of like a 2:1. The academic writing needs to be up to scratch but to scrape a pass wouldn't be difficult to native speakers.

I've met many teachers who have done the filipino diploma thing over here and I believe its easy but not worth anything outside of Thailand. There were graduates from the filipino one on the PGCEi who said the former was woeful. The PGCEi is 3-4 times the price but I thought the Thai-based qualifications wouldn't be worthwhile even though I'll probably not teach outside of Thailand.  

On 10/2/2019 at 7:23 PM, LuckyLucas said:

To be eligible for a teacher's license, you must have been working at a school not less than 365 days. Not one day less. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:11 PM, LuckyLucas said:

Hello  All

I finished my PGCEi - handed in my final assignment weeks ago but don't get the award confirmation until early December

I included my enrollment document which showed the period of study 10 Oct 2018-1 Oct 2019 but my work permit was rejected (the day after my study period ended ironically)

I've reached my waiver limit (6 years on a temporary license) but believed proof of enrollment would be enough to get me another waiver

Does Krusapha require award confirmation for a waiver now??

I'm flummoxed what to do as my visa runs out on 26 November.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

You have a few issues to get through before Kurusapa will issue you a teacher's licence.

Check here: http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=englishsite&SiteMenuID=28

1 thing they look at is you had 6yrs worth of waivers but didn't even try to start on your course until the last year. They also want to see that you've attended seminars for professional improvement every year.

Your graduate information must be certified, translated and stamped with a copy of your transcripts sent to them directly from your school.

Read through the site, cross all your "T"s and dot all your "I"s and then reapply.

You can also try having your school director writing them a letter on your behalf outlining why you are such a valuable asset to his/her school and ask for 1 more waiver while you get everything else sorted.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Your graduate information must be certified, translated and stamped with a copy of your transcripts sent to them directly from your school.

Is that still the case? I know it was mentioned previously but it seemed to be a ridiculous amount of hassle and money.

I got my 5 year teacher license in May and never had to do that. I just gave the HR staff at my school all my original certificates and docs (BSc, all transcripts, PGCE, QTS etc) and they did the rest. 

A letter of completion should do the trick. Stating the grades complete, satisfied all requirements, diploma is pending. Doubt transcript will unless it shows the course completed. I think this in addition to the letter is great. But I'd get the letter. I received my license on a letter of completion.

If it's just not working for you - TCT upstairs location, the side room that re-reviews and finalizes your stuff before going to committee. I spoke twice to a really lovely, sensible young woman. If you're currently working with the letter of completion perhaps beg a case for another waiver. Tell her school will be out a teacher second term. Just a hope there.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, Preacher said:

The school where you work certifies them, at least when you renew your full license. Not the school/university where you graduated from.

OP is not renewing but applying for the first 5 year licence. Much different requirements.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

OP is not renewing but applying for the first 5 year licence. Much different requirements.

When I applied I had a PDF-version of my degree and transcript with a stamp on it saying "copy i accordance with original" and stamp from my university from when I needed an English version of my transcript. My university didn't send anything directly to the TCT. The school (employer) simply certified the documents as true.

I believe they are more relaxed on the actual license than on the waiver. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 10:18 AM, Number 6 said:

A letter of completion should do the trick. Stating the grades complete, satisfied all requirements, diploma is pending. Doubt transcript will unless it shows the course completed. I think this in addition to the letter is great. But I'd get the letter. I received my license on a letter of completion.

If it's just not working for you - TCT upstairs location, the side room that re-reviews and finalizes your stuff before going to committee. I spoke twice to a really lovely, sensible young woman. If you're currently working with the letter of completion perhaps beg a case for another waiver. Tell her school will be out a teacher second term. Just a hope there.

You've made very valid points. When I applied for my license I was quite happy to see that the rude gloved guy was gone.

A very friendly younger lady checked my docs, gave me 70 % of them back and sent me to pay the 500 baht fee for the license.

I had a sealed letter from the university where I've done my Diploma in education and it was accepted without questioning anything.

She told me that they'd send the license to my school in five weeks and I received it after four weeks. 

Having a word with them will give the OP another waiver for the time until he receives his degree and transcripts. 

It was an easy, pleasurable and straightforward experience. 

Archived