How Much To Get Into A Thai Food market?

Brewster67

Hi...

I have been looking at getting a stall on a Thai food market here in Korat.

Does anyone know what the average cost is to get into one?... I only need a very small stall of around maybe 6 feet across...

Maybe you have a wife or Thai family member works on one?

I understand prices can vary especially between BKK and the rest of the country, so really looking for advice from someone living away from the expensive property rate areas... somewhere upcountry or down towards the south.

thanks in advance.

I almost feel the need to apologize for immediately de-railing a simple topic to Workpermit laws....to which many dont even know either.

Brewster, I can't confirm 100% as I have only been told a number by a couple thais ( I haven't seen the actual contract, if there is even one ), but supposedly a small spot at the local night market here in Ubon is 20 Baht per day. In khonkaen I was reading it is 1000 Baht a month. So, while I cant confirm these numbers 100%, I do think they are accurate.

Also, I dont think there will be a difference between a night market and a regular food market. Maybe 10 Baht more because of longer operating hours?

I am also not sure how they handle the electricity. I dont think electricity will be included in the 20-30 baht per day, but also cant imagine them "installing" ~100? meters either.

Maybe a non-workpermit detective can chime in about the electricity charge.

13 hours ago, swissie said:

The 80K Bht, I gathered from active "Farang-Real-Estate" agents. They must have been lying to me or there are different Work-Permits for Farangs.

What would be the cost of a WP for an "Elvis" impersonator?:smile:

PS: If I should have spread "Fake-News", my sincere apologies.

The figures quoted are correct. 80k is a RIP off.

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You are welcome

i get your point about the fact you already have a work permit

i just try to get your attention about the fact your work permit occupation

is ''director of a company'' which have nothing to do with the work of an employee at

a stall in a market, and be sure the immigration office is well aware about it.

(For example a ''chief'' with a WP for that can work in a restaurant, in the kitchen, but can not takes the orders of serving in the dining room)

I guess you don't know about new rules that were passed early last year.

Also...I would doubt very much that the average market stall holder would know where the immigration office is. Let alone be aware of the rules. Most Thais I know think I can stay here and work forever simply because I am married.

Off topic posts removed.

The legalities/permits or whatever are NOT the subject of the OP, if you wish to discuss those requirements do so in another topic/thread.

The OP is about the cost of getting into a Thai market, NOT labour law.

In my experience it requires a visit to the office of the local "Moo bahn" they cntrol the places and spaces etc. (thats the case in my area) the cost of such places from a rent perspective is ridiculously low , around 20 baht a day from memory. A member of my extended family bought a lockup shop in the market (leasehold) for 30k ! that was around 30m2. with roller shutter entrance.

Hope that helps.

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience it requires a visit to the office of the local "Moo bahn" they cntrol the places and spaces etc. (thats the case in my area) the cost of such places from a rent perspective is ridiculously low , around 20 baht a day from memory. A member of my extended family bought a lockup shop in the market (leasehold) for 30k ! that was around 30m2. with roller shutter entrance.

Hope that helps.

A lot of markets places in Thailand are owned by private people.

You are right about the price very low.

i don't get it why the OP don't just walk in and ask to the people in the market he is interested in

it's so easy to do and at least you have the good answer.

20 hours ago, lust said:

Where do Indians fit in with this? I often see them working at Indian restaurants serving food.

Some are Thai citizens at birth, their families been in Thailand for decades and achieved Thai citizenship decades ago.

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

A lot of markets places in Thailand are owned by private people.

You are right about the price very low.

i don't get it why the OP don't just walk in and ask to the people in the market he is interested in

it's so easy to do and at least you have the good answer.

good reply agree wholeheartedlywith you....

Why are some silly questions allowed on TV beats me....

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You are welcome

i get your point about the fact you already have a work permit

i just try to get your attention about the fact your work permit occupation

is ''director of a company'' which have nothing to do with the work of an employee at

a stall in a market, and be sure the immigration office is well aware about it.

(For example a ''chief'' with a WP for that can work in a restaurant, in the kitchen, but can not takes the orders of serving in the dining room)

Be sure also that one of your ''thais'' neighbours in the market is going sooner or later to talk about you at the Korat immigration office, and IO will be happy to come to see you and dig deep to find if all is ok.

If your stall do some competition in one way or another with a thai stall, it should be very very quick and you not even seen the end of the day before immigration come to you. 

If you want to be sure at 100% you are in your right regarding the rules, i recomand you to contact the immigration office in Korat BEFORE to start your bisness, show your WP and ask them if you can work at a stall in a thai market. I am pretty sure of the answer but who know? It should be nice to give the result of your visit here on this thread, we have rarely the suites of the stories started here.

As posted just above most of the markets stalls are paid on a daily basis, if you already know what market you are interested in just find the person with the pocket going around the stalls, usually at the start of the market, or ask at one of the stalls who is in charge for the payement.

The prizes given are correct, small markets are often 10\20 bahts a day, big markets can be 50 or more. And electricity is included in the price.

WHAT ARE THE PRIZES ????????????????????

a PRIZE IS something what one wins !!!

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

WHAT ARE THE PRIZES ????????????????????

a PRIZE IS something what one wins !!!

my bad

english is not my first language and i have made a typo error

for the plural of the price. Of course i mean '' the prices''

thank you for having noticed, i will be more aware about that in my future posts

On 10/2/2019 at 10:40 PM, Brewster67 said:

Did you know a really high % of head chefs in the top BKK hotels are farang?

That's true but this is not seen in the same view as a cook or waiter of helper in a small local restaurant or market. In some / many of the big hotels the work permit will probably say 'consultant'. 

15 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

my bad

english is not my first language and i have made a typo error

for the plural of the price. Of course i mean '' the prices''

thank you for having noticed, i will be more aware about that in my future posts

Don't worry, perfect English is not needed and not expected on this website. This is not a spelling or grammar test.

47 minutes ago, scorecard said:
15 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Don't worry, perfect English is not needed (required) and not (nor) expected on this website. This is not a spelling or grammar test.

Made a couple of corrections to your original post apart from that you are correct!  10/10 ????

Though there are some pedantic P****s about!

Archived