Far Fewer Farang Waltzing Down the Chiang Mai Streets These Days. Why?

MisterBleach

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2019 at 12:10 PM, Dante99 said:

You are down on CM and Sri Lanka.  Where do you like it?  besides Mae Hong Son

North Koh Phangan, Railay, Cave Lodge, Gulf coast between towns, Pattaya, east coast Koh Lanta, areas north and east of Chiang Mai in the hills. All good. 

Phayao wasn't bad either. Nice rides around the lake and some interesting temples.

I didn't mind living in C M, but I'd never recommend it to a tourist.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:10 AM, MisterBleach said:

As I recall, back in 2016,

there once was a whole host of very old guys gabbing in coffee houses near the university. They spoke of trivial matters, and often repeated themselves almost every few minutes.

Maybe I was one of those "old guys" though I am sure you did not hear me gabbing in coffee houses.

The reason you don't see me now is because I do not hang around the city as guys like you really turn me off.   I stay far away.     Please tell us what demographic you associate yourself with ?  I am positive that you are quite a gabber judging from your long long long  post .  

Do you see your recent posts as not being about "trivial matters" ?

Last post was about  cinnamon babes   or something to that effect.   Keep up the stimulating thought provoking threads.........

Variety of reasons probably - same as other parts of thailand. High baht makes it expensive, they have been before and want to try somewhere new, don’t like all the chinese, fed up of rude thai people in taxis and shops trying to rip them off, don’t like poor service that Thais give (go to indonesia to see genuinely nice staff in restaurants / shops etc. 

In summary, i would say thailand has got what they wanted. Out with westerners and in with the chinese and Indian mass market tourists. Good luck to them. 

On 10/3/2019 at 5:56 AM, fhickson said:

ive noticed some increased negativity by thais in cm. not as friendly as it was say 5 years ago. red truck/tuk trying to charge double when they can etc.

grab seems the way to go as the reviews keep drivers on their toes, low reviews means less ride referrals. works for me. fudge the tip.

the big new malls lkke maya/festival has changed the vibe. the thais dont seem to like working there and take it out on customers. weird vibes. dont go in anymore.

agree not many farang around at all. saw a couple hippies with dreads/banana pants today, looked strange and out of place. dont see any farang/thai couples around. the free spirit traveler stuff appears to be gone, or did that go in the 80's?

did see a hippy bar with a blond with huge cannons asleep or passed out on a futon with a bottle of jack. thai bf with dreads there. looked like she needed a good pontoon.

saw many food vendors in the same spot, making the same drink/dish as they were 8 years ago.

out of here tomorrow. better pastures.

Yesterday my Thai driver I have used for 15 years told me that a tuk tuk ( same day) charged a farang 400 baht for a 3 minute ride; sort of explains why their are few farangs around CNX.

Small number of farangs waltzing down Chiang Mai streets?!  According to the Chiang Mai hoteliers Association, it the small number of Chinese waltzing around with their spinner suitcases in tow that is the issue. 

--This year’s Chinese ‘Golden Week’ (October 1-7) was very quiet compared to previous years ----    

????

Pretty simple Chang Mai used to be a hub for digital nomads and was always the goto place for nomads who were just starting their journey. Due to the high prices, low thb and visa situation in thailand, Vietnam is now the goto place. I don't know anyone that is going to thailand anymore, everyone is going to vietnam or malaysia. Chiang Mai used to benefit from the thousands of blogs/ promotion from digital nomads as well that was all positive, Since they have all left all those blogs are now negative about thailand which would also be putting a lot of people off!

As I recall, back in 2016, there once was a whole host of very old guys gabbing in coffee houses near the university. They spoke of trivial matters, and often repeated themselves almost every few minutes.  But, now they are gone.  Where did they go?

I can't afford to go out for coffee any more, some of my pals moved to Cambodia when their pensions dropped elow 65k/month. Times are hard, exchange rates are poor. 

Did I already post this? 

In Hànoi at the moment, it's packed with western tourists. 

Not sure what the OP is talking about or where they get their information. I'm out and about in CM daily and see farang pretty much everywhere I go. In fact, in the burbs I am see more and more farang families with kids in tow. If the OP is talking about in the city, it is low season after all and the smokey season this year has put a damper of tourists visiting the city. 

On 10/3/2019 at 5:18 AM, MisterBleach said:

SO.  Does anyone here who knows anything know why there has been a sudden reduction in the number of farang in Chiang Mai????  Thank you!

I moved out of CM 2 months ago and never go back for 2 reasons, terrible air condition and Chinese. 

1. Massive over development without any thought to traffic mitigation, leading to traffic jams every day. 

2. Some of the worst air quality in the nation. And the hapless administration has no solutions, nor do they seem to really care. 

3. Rising baht, rising prices, and jaded locals who are not as friendly as they used to be, plus large mobs of Chinese tourists everywhere. 

4. Declining tourism nationwide. Thailand is missing the mark, not is doing anything to become a better version of itself, combined with a dozen fatal mistakes the government, immigration and the TAT has made, including grossly overpriced luxury goods and foreign wine. 

5. The neighbors are trying harder, they are smarter, more competent, and more creative. 

6. Thailand's astonishing unwillingness to address the issues of public and traffic safety, and the ensuing fear of catastrophe while visiting. 

7. Tourists are tired of the local police franchisees who are virtually useless. 

8. Few like an army junta administration, even if they pretended to get elected. 

9. Thailand is NOT the center of the known universe. Stop pretending it is. We have too many alternatives these days. Nations that do not take is for granted and abuse us. 

10. Poor English skills, and relatively poor service, especially at the higher end of the market, where it is expected and required. 

I could go on. Won't bore you with more detail. 

Unless your into temples or golf there’s not really to much to do in Chiang Mai. Lived in kata for 12 months before moving up here with the GF,she’s from up this way.

3 yrs on,can’t wait to get back to phuket,costs nothing to put the budgie smugglers on,go to the beach and veg out under a nice palm tree checking out the scenery.

Ok the cost of living might be a little bit more expensive,but the quality of life is so much better down there.

I see Chiang Mai as a retirement option when your ready to just sit at home,potter round the garden or get dragged out to the mall with the misses.

I understand that financial circumstances affect these decisions also. So whatever floats your boat,but the stricter visa rules would have definitely made a big difference. Plus those on a fixed pension losing out big time due to the strength of the baht,and not being able to meet the monthly requirements.

Anyway off for a nap now,worn myself out.

I used to enjoy some of the quiet of the "countryside" in the Chanklan area.  Used to have a condo (rented of course) in Touch Hill.  Lovely and quiet as long as you're facing North or North-East and if you can stand (next door) the sound of the cocks being trained for fighting.

Best coffee shop in Thailand almost next door to Touch Hill.  Called Oasis the last time I was there.

Best restaurant in town (Niman soi 11) was Why Not?

Found my lovely wife in CM, but we would never return there long-term simply b/c of the pollution in January-April.

Might try a Nov/Dec visit, before the smoke comes.

And I will no longer go through all the sodding hoops to get myself a one-year visa.  Three months will do , IF we ever return

The other big no-no is the sheer danger of just crossing the road. 

a lot of the cheap accomodation has been refurbed changing the demographic of the area
endless construction on every other soi
look at sophet
the music bars have closed down
the scene
has changed the farangs are young and just up for getting drunk at zoes in yellow
theres a new hostel called bodega always busy but its all in house drinking games
in my out of the way soi two new coffee shops just opened no imagination
high baht

visas

and over the last two years the police set up road blocks at two points at the moat and got so many 500 bahts for no licence or helmet

everywhere has a run where its the 'in' place to hang bars cafes clubs town and city
CM just hastened their demise a bit quicker than most
welcome to CM province, just like Tiawan it used to be part of China

Chiang Mai Air Quality is showing 42 (green) for 1pm today. We sometimes go for food and a beer at Kad Manee Market on Road 108 across the street from Xym Hotel. Last few times there, counted 12-15 Chinese Tour Buses and very few other Farangs. One Farang guy was waiting at a table for 6 for his wife to buy food when a family of Chinese sat down. When his wife came, they moved to another open table. A short while later, another Chinese family sat down at their new table, lol. Our Thai friends that have businesses are hurting, no customers.

Tourism is down and that's the biggest reason why downtown is relatively quiet. Many digital nomads who mostly lived in the city or frequented downtown locations have also left.

Someone mentioned that things are just as lively as ever in the burbs and I agree with that observation. And the same certainly applies further out in the beautiful countryside where things are the same as they ever were.

The fact is that most expats (not tourists) have set up home outside the city and I don't believe that the few who have left recently make a noticeable difference.

Chiang Mai is perhaps not the fascinating small city it used to be when I first visited 30 years ago. Sure, there are now shopping malls, many restuarants, markets aimed at tourists. But for peaceful, quiet and charming places within the city it`s harder to find than ever. Much of the city is not distinctive any more and of course there are more alternatives in the region, with Laos and Vietnam opening up. But plenty of westerners still stay in Chiang Mai. The immigration office is far busier than the one room office I remember back in the day!

58 minutes ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Chiang Mai is perhaps not the fascinating small city it used to be when I first visited 30 years ago. Sure, there are now shopping malls, many restuarants, markets aimed at tourists. But for peaceful, quiet and charming places within the city it`s harder to find than ever. Much of the city is not distinctive any more and of course there are more alternatives in the region, with Laos and Vietnam opening up. But plenty of westerners still stay in Chiang Mai. The immigration office is far busier than the one room office I remember back in the day!

Agree with you that the City of Chiang Mai has lost its charm: the Rose of the North now has many thorns. Over development without proper planning. But Chiang Mai is a big province and you don't have to consider going to neighbouring countries to find peaceful, quiet and charming places as there are many within easy reach of the City.

As a province to live in, Chiang Mai still has enormous appeal. I have moved house a few times over the 30 years that I have lived here, moving progressively further out and now live in what I consider to be a perfect, very beautiful location surrounded by rice fields and forests and friendly, helpful Thai neighbours. I don't like to go into the City any more, but important things like very good hospitals, restaurants and shopping are all there, not too far away, on the few occasions I need them.

Archived