A 73-year-old Monk arrested for rape of 12-year-old

geovalin

A 73-year-old monk was arrested on Tuesday for allegedly raping a 12-year-old girl over three months in Mondulkiri province. He has since been defrocked.

The Child Protection Unit (CPU) said the last assault took place on Saturday, the main day of the Pchum Ben festival.

Mondulkiri provincial police chief Lao Sokha told The Post on Wednesday that the suspect would be sent to the Mondulkiri Provincial Court on Thursday after police had finished questioning him.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/monk-arrested-rape-12-year-old

Doesn't sound like rape, sounds like he was having sex with her.  Sounds more like having sex with a minor.  Which is not quite like the same thing.  She probably told him she was 14. (sarcasm) Still going to spend some time in prison. 

4 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Doesn't sound like rape, sounds like he was having sex with her.  Sounds more like having sex with a minor.  Which is not quite like the same thing.  She probably told him she was 14. (sarcasm) Still going to spend some time in prison. 

While I see a couple "sad" emojis on your post, I do have to agree with you.

This sounds more like manipulation of a minor, thus, statutory rape as opposed to rape.

7 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

2 hours ago, neeray said:

While I see a couple "sad" emojis on your post, I do have to agree with you.

This sounds more like manipulation of a minor, thus, statutory rape as opposed to rape.

"Sokha said the girl’s father filed a complaint with local authorities alleging that the monk had raped his daughter on numerous occasions.

The complaint said the assaults took place while the victim accompanied her father to work at the pagoda where the monk stayed. The girl told her father after she had been raped multiple times, he added."

What part of this article "doesn't sound like rape"? What part of this article "sounds like manipulation of a minor"?

It's an account of a 72 year old man abusing his position to RAPE a 12 year old girl.

Sick, really sick and IMHO so are his apologists.

Should be sentenced to have his "bits" boiled in oil for all eternity.

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No, but getting rid of all monks of every institutionalised religion would be an excellent start.

“...excellent start.” to what?

Getting rid of monks of ever institutionalized religion would only defrock all monks. It would not get rid of criminal acts by the person.

Why are you against freedom of religion?

I would expect only dictator totalitarian regimes to be against religions. (They prefer people to”worship” the state and/or the great  comrade leader.)

9 hours ago, Catoni said:

“...excellent start.” to what?

Getting rid of monks of ever institutionalized religion would only defrock all monks. It would not get rid of criminal acts by the person.

Why are you against freedom of religion?

I would expect only dictator totalitarian regimes to be against religions. (They prefer people to”worship” the state and/or the great  comrade leader.)

I am not against freedom of religion, as long as that religion is something between a person and his god(s) directly.

It's the niddle men that I want to disappear.

And what are you talking about comrade leaders? I do not see a connection.

17 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

"Sokha said the girl’s father filed a complaint with local authorities alleging that the monk had raped his daughter on numerous occasions.

The complaint said the assaults took place while the victim accompanied her father to work at the pagoda where the monk stayed. The girl told her father after she had been raped multiple times, he added."

What part of this article "doesn't sound like rape"? What part of this article "sounds like manipulation of a minor"?

It's an account of a 72 year old man abusing his position to RAPE a 12 year old girl.

Sick, really sick and IMHO so are his apologists.

Should be sentenced to have his "bits" boiled in oil for all eternity.

Don't get so excited Mr Carlton. None of us have all the facts. We can only express an opinion on this open forum from the little that is reported.

IN MY OPINION, it would seem that a child who has been raped does not go back for "seconds" whereas if she was "manipulated", that is more likely the case.

I consider the monk as a parasitical creep. I'm hardly an apologist.

17 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I am not against freedom of religion, as long as that religion is something between a person and his god(s) directly.

It's the niddle men that I want to disappear.

And what are you talking about comrade leaders? I do not see a connection.

You did not answer the question:     “...excellent start.” to what?

Are all “middle men” bad? Lord Buddha instituted the Sangha in order to pass down the teachings of the Dhamma. 

I admit that many monks of both Buddhism and Christianity are bad. We are all human, with human failings. But that does not mean we must end all monks and priests from established religions. 

We do not arrest and imprison all people because some people are rapists, bank robbers, killers or drug dealers.

We imprison the rapists, bank robbers, killers and drug dealers, and leave the good people alone. 

Same with monks and priests. Imprison the bad ones. 

Leave the good ones alone. 

11 hours ago, Catoni said:

You did not answer the question:     “...excellent start.” to what?

Are all “middle men” bad? Lord Buddha instituted the Sangha in order to pass down the teachings of the Dhamma. 

I admit that many monks of both Buddhism and Christianity are bad. We are all human, with human failings. But that does not mean we must end all monks and priests from established religions. 

We do not arrest and imprison all people because some people are rapists, bank robbers, killers or drug dealers.

We imprison the rapists, bank robbers, killers and drug dealers, and leave the good people alone. 

Same with monks and priests. Imprison the bad ones. 

Leave the good ones alone. 

QUOTE: You did not answer the question:     “...excellent start.” to what?

Getting rid of the middle men would be an excellent start for humanity to become slightly more civilised.

And in this country it would be a very good start to understand that buddha was not a god, whatever the monks may pretend he was. So no lottery numbers or financial merit making.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: You did not answer the question:     “...excellent start.” to what?

Getting rid of the middle men would be an excellent start for humanity to become slightly more civilised.

And in this country it would be a very good start to understand that buddha was not a god, whatever the monks may pretend he was. So no lottery numbers or financial merit making.

I'll guess you do not know very much about Theravada Buddhism.  Lord Buddha never claimed to be a God, the son of a God, or the prophet of a God.  He is our teacher... he is an awakened one. 

No honest person or monk who understands something about the Dhamma Vinaya (Buddhism) would ever claim he was a God or worship him. We respect him and his treachings in the temples and at our home shrines and wherever we are.  We pay Lord Buddha respect.  I do not "worship" Lord Buddha when I am at temple or home shrine. 

We do not worship him.  We know he will not "save" us. Becoming "saved" is up to each of us as individuals. Not one is going to do that for us. 

The problem with "Buddhism" today in countries like Thailand, Burma, India, Cambodia, Vietnam etc. etc. is not the teachings of Lord Buddha. One of the problems is that it has been assimilated with local animist spiritism and other religions, like Vedic/Hinduism teachings and Gods and Goddesses. It's the same with Mahayana Buddhism in Vietnam, China, Tibet, Japan, Korea and other places...   mixed with the local traditional religions... like Confucionism, Shinto, etc. etc.

Another problem is that many monks and lay people have been spoiled by the society of material goods and gambling and other things...   They can not resist the temptations of the latest smart phone and computer, hottest young woman, fanciest car, biggest house, nost money, most gold jewelry....and on and on...  

Perhaps those reasons are were your confusion comes from. 

I've become a minimalist, one bag carry on traveler.   Almost no possessions.

And I get a great feeling of freedom from not being encumbered with lots of things... lots of "stuff". 

I travel now with one, 21 liter convertible backpack.  Downized first from a 45 liter back (M.E.I. Voyageur..trips in Canada and the U.S... then four months in Chiang Mai, Thailand and the surrounding area)  , to a 35 liter bag (Minaal 2.0...Two months Cambodia and four days in Bangkok) ... now to a 21 liter bag, (Minaal Daily Bag.. for my return to south and south east Asia) ..no matter if I go for two weeks or two months or two years.  Making do with less and less. 

Buddhism is a very civilized teaching and way of life.

The good monks can help us with the Dhamma...

15 hours ago, Catoni said:

I'll guess you do not know very much about Theravada Buddhism.  Lord Buddha never claimed to be a God, the son of a God, or the prophet of a God.  He is our teacher... he is an awakened one. 

No honest person or monk who understands something about the Dhamma Vinaya (Buddhism) would ever claim he was a God or worship him. We respect him and his treachings in the temples and at our home shrines and wherever we are.  We pay Lord Buddha respect.  I do not "worship" Lord Buddha when I am at temple or home shrine. 

We do not worship him.  We know he will not "save" us. Becoming "saved" is up to each of us as individuals. Not one is going to do that for us. 

The problem with "Buddhism" today in countries like Thailand, Burma, India, Cambodia, Vietnam etc. etc. is not the teachings of Lord Buddha. One of the problems is that it has been assimilated with local animist spiritism and other religions, like Vedic/Hinduism teachings and Gods and Goddesses. It's the same with Mahayana Buddhism in Vietnam, China, Tibet, Japan, Korea and other places...   mixed with the local traditional religions... like Confucionism, Shinto, etc. etc.

Another problem is that many monks and lay people have been spoiled by the society of material goods and gambling and other things...   They can not resist the temptations of the latest smart phone and computer, hottest young woman, fanciest car, biggest house, nost money, most gold jewelry....and on and on...  

Perhaps those reasons are were your confusion comes from. 

I've become a minimalist, one bag carry on traveler.   Almost no possessions.

And I get a great feeling of freedom from not being encumbered with lots of things... lots of "stuff". 

I travel now with one, 21 liter convertible backpack.  Downized first from a 45 liter back (M.E.I. Voyageur..trips in Canada and the U.S... then four months in Chiang Mai, Thailand and the surrounding area)  , to a 35 liter bag (Minaal 2.0...Two months Cambodia and four days in Bangkok) ... now to a 21 liter bag, (Minaal Daily Bag.. for my return to south and south east Asia) ..no matter if I go for two weeks or two months or two years.  Making do with less and less. 

Buddhism is a very civilized teaching and way of life.

The good monks can help us with the Dhamma...

QUOTE: I'll guess you do not know very much about Theravada Buddhism.

Ill guess you do not know very much about the reality of Thai buddhism.

QUOTE: No honest person or monk who understands something about the Dhamma Vinaya (Buddhism) would ever claim he was a God

Yet buddha has the power to supply his followers - of course thru his monks - with blessings and lucky numbers. That is very god-like.

I will certainly not deny the merits of what budda (allegedly) said.

But those teachings are one extreme, western philosophies being the other extreme.

According to buddha, happiness can only be found within oneself.

According to western philosophies, happiness is the result of material circumstances.

One does not have to be a genius to understand that the answer is a combination of both.

"He has since been defrocked." 

He must have been "defrocked" when he commited his crimes. 

Never trust them, I trust girls from a certain business way more.

They're more honest people and do merits for those who later take them. Absurd, religion always produced bad things.

Perhaps one of the reasons why I became an atheist. 

On 10/4/2019 at 3:39 PM, neeray said:

Don't get so excited Mr Carlton. None of us have all the facts. We can only express an opinion on this open forum from the little that is reported.

IN MY OPINION, it would seem that a child who has been raped does not go back for "seconds" whereas if she was "manipulated", that is more likely the case.

I consider the monk as a parasitical creep. I'm hardly an apologist.

She didn't "go back for seconds". Her father took her. Children are afraid to speak out against someone who is regarded as a pillar of the community and beyond reproach. Do some research on the MO of Catholic priests who raped children, who were in their care, multiple times.

My opinion is based on knowledge of other cases of multiple rape by so called "men of God" and the text in the OP. Your opinion is based on what?

The biggest problem with children reporting rape is that unconnected sickos will accuse them of being complicit in the act and somehow "wanting it". Do you really think that a 12 year old girl would actually want sex with a 72 year old man? Or was it a situation she was trapped in and couldn't escape from?

Archived