Permanent Residency Process

Hi All,

Does anyone have a link, or recent experience with the process for permanent residency and/or any tips or do's and don't's?

I've been here 10 yrs, working for the same company on the visa and work permit etc. so no worries about the prerequisites. 

Once I have submitted the application:

• Is there an interview? My Thai is passable, but not great.
  • Will they visit me and my home or work?
  • I am separated from my Thai wife, and she now lives abroad with our daughter. Anything to worry about there? I was going to present myself as "living alone". Which is what I am (notwithstanding GF of 1.5 years).

I don't actively support any charities etc. but I am a hard working expat, with a clean record, healthy finances, and consistently pay my taxes etc.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

21 minutes ago, corkman said:

Once I have submitted the application:

• Is there an interview? My Thai is passable, but not great.
  • Will they visit me and my home or work?
  • I am separated from my Thai wife, and she now lives abroad with our daughter. Anything to worry about there? I was going to present myself as "living alone". Which is what I am (notwithstanding GF of 1.5 years).

- you just get points, the better the Thai the more points. I'd say don't worry but beware it's formal, not spoken Thai that interview is in...

- unlikely. Although a while since I applied but they never visited. They could though. Anything that you worry about?

- doesn't matter about your marital status. You're applying based on your employment so it's irrelevant.

You can find a lot of info in this long ongoing topic that is followed by some members that have done the application.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

There is some basic info here on the immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=residence

There is an interview but basic Thai is all you need to pass the test.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

- you just get points, the better the Thai the more points. I'd say don't worry but beware it's formal, not spoken Thai that interview is in...

- unlikely. Although a while since I applied but they never visited. They could though. Anything that you worry about?

- doesn't matter about your marital status. You're applying based on your employment so it's irrelevant.

Last sentence 'You're applying based on you employment .... '

Well it's relevant but more to the point is that you are applying as a person and whether the person is married or not is not really the point - ultimately the application is about you as a human being - are you the type of person (human being) that Thailand is prepared to offer PR to. And yes they are very choosy as is well known. I got PR well over 20 years ago - for that year the total number of applicants approved was 5.

Twenty plus years ago so I'm out of touch, in my day, on top of the WP and taxes criteria applicants had to prove they had advanced education and they were serious about this point (2 masters and Ph.D. in my case), and applicants had to prove that they had some form of long-term growth fund in place to ensure they would never be a financial burden on Thailand.

Plus a stamped letter from police in my home country saying that I had no police or criminal record. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on what you have said, I would be surprised if you had any problems in achieving PR.

I have a few anecdotal points based on the experience of friends/acquaintances who have PR.They run counter to the points system arrangement which is often mentioned, but there we go.

1. There is no particular advantage on being married to a Thai.

2.Basic knowledge of Thai will get you through that particular requirement. They don't really give a monkeys if you are fluent or not.

3.Charitable activity/good works don't count for much.They know as well as you do that it's mostly b...s....

4.Salaries and tax paid really do matter.The bigger the better.

5.Presentation does matter.Look the part of an educated polite farang - even if (like me) you are not.

6.Supporting letters from prominent Thais can be useful.But get it right:the wrong type of reference could be counterproductive.If in doubt don't do it.

7. A good educational background does help and don't be surprised that they know which are the elite universities and which are not.A Harvard or a Cambridge education does impress.

Edited by jayboy
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jayboy said:

1. There is no particular advantage on being married to a Thai.

i would say there is. A lower income is allowed to apply and the fee for the residence certificate is lower. It is 95,700 baht verses 191,400 baht.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

i would say there is. A lower income is allowed to apply and the fee for the residence certificate is lower. It is 95,700 baht verses 191,400 baht.

Yes of course there's a lower fee.I was however referring to the weighting of marriage in the approval process.

31 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Yes of course there's a lower fee.I was however referring to the weighting of marriage in the approval process.

All true, all well said.

In fact the 'marriage' factor is confusing and contradictory and it's well established that foreigners gain no advantage by being married to a Thai citizen.  

The application is about YOU (as Jayboy and I and others have mentioned). Are YOU a desirable person to hold Thai PR

But when approved the quite contradictory item appears; the ultimate fee for single foreigners is 191XXXBaht but for farang married to a Thai lady it's half that.

It seems to be contradictory / inconsistent, but in reality it doesn't mean married to a Thai is a plus in gaining approval.

As is often the case don't try to understand it. 

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

you just get points, the better the Thai the more points. I'd say don't worry but beware it's formal, not spoken Thai that interview is in...

I was caught completely by surprise. At my first appointment in July, the IO communicated in formal Thai only. Need to polish this up. 

2 minutes ago, Bennyl said:

I was caught completely by surprise. At my first appointment in July, the IO communicated in formal Thai only. Need to polish this up. 

This point seems to be very inconsistent, others have reported a 5 minute very simple verbal conversation about simple scenarios in daily life, my experience (but 20+ years ago), and no focus at all on reading or writing.

But hey this is the LOS, expect inconsistency.

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

All true, all well said.

In fact the 'marriage' factor is confusing and contradictory and it's well established that foreigners gain no advantage by being married to a Thai citizen.  

The application is about YOU (as Jayboy and I and others have mentioned). Are YOU a desirable person to hold Thai PR

But when approved the quite contradictory item appears; the ultimate fee for single foreigners is 191XXXBaht but for farang married to a Thai lady it's half that.

It seems to be contradictory / inconsistent, but in reality it doesn't mean married to a Thai is a plus in gaining approval.

As is often the case don't try to understand it. 

Good luck.

Thanks Scorecard

I did mention it earlier but perhaps I should stress again that my anecdotal points don't seem to mesh with the Points System approach.The latter is not something invented and I believe was posted on this forum.

So as with all anecdotal evidence I could be wrong in one or more or all particulars.It may be it's the Points System applicants should wholly focus on.But I do suspect that some Points System requirements and weightings need to be taken with a slight pinch of salt (e,g salaries which specify minimum levels but with no guarantee they're sufficient).

My impression is that Immigration looking to help PR applicants not frustrate them.If you have the right salary/tax/visa backgroundand are reasonably riaproi, have a degree and speak basic Thai - you're probably going to get PR.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

My impression is that Immigration looking to help PR applicants not frustrate them.If you have the right salary/tax/visa backgroundand are reasonably riaproi, have a degree and speak basic Thai - you're probably going to get PR.

I have the same impression. 
IO was friendly, helpful, even assisted to keep the costs to a minimum.

Edited by Bennyl

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Thanks Scorecard

I did mention it earlier but perhaps I should stress again that my anecdotal points don't seem to mesh with the Points System approach.The latter is not something invented and I believe was posted on this forum.

So as with all anecdotal evidence I could be wrong in one or more or all particulars.It may be it's the Points System applicants should wholly focus on.But I do suspect that some Points System requirements and weightings need to be taken with a slight pinch of salt (e,g salaries which specify minimum levels but with no guarantee they're sufficient).

All agreed.

When I applied (back in the dark ages), my agent was given a printed list of items to submit with the application form, there was no mention of any points / points system.

Then I got busy to get all the documents together and we went together to the Imm. office at Soi Suan Plus.

Never any mention of points, and at the interview (conducted 99% in perfect english) points were not mentioned. 

Edited by scorecard