Mandatory HIV for life insurance

beeper

If they ask for it simply give it to them or look for a different company.

The insurance is tied to a bank loan I took out so not easy to change company.
In any case I consider this discrimination and in breach of the Gender equality act in Thailand if indeed this is applied to gay customers.
Has anyone had similar experience with Prudential or other insurance company here?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Many years ago, I was working for a foreign embassy and we were required to get an HIV for our medical insurance.   I believe there was life insurance, but no HIV test was required for that.

At the school where I was involved we had both medical and life insurance and were not required to have a test for either.  I believe those over a certain age, maybe 50 (?) had to have a physical, but that was it.  

We did have teachers who were HIV positive, but they found out after they started work.   We may also have had some who just hid their status, but as long as I kept it from the Thai admin there were no repercussions.  

• Like 1

I'm straight, but even a good few years back my life insurance required an HIV test.

EDIT That's with Friends Provident. I was assured that they were requiring it of all applicants above a certain cover level.

54 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm straight, but even a good few years back my life insurance required an HIV test.

EDIT That's with Friends Provident. I was assured that they were requiring it of all applicants above a certain cover level.

Odd that as my pal died in London of AIDs in July, hospital reckoned he could have been infected for the past 15 years.

He had refinanced his flat in London every 2-3 years (to get the lowest interest rates) for the past 10 years.

So he was never required to have a HIV test, or they would have refused his home loan.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Odd that as my pal died in London of AIDs in July, hospital reckoned he could have been infected for the past 15 years.

He had refinanced his flat in London every 2-3 years (to get the lowest interest rates) for the past 10 years.

So he was never required to have a HIV test, or they would have refused his home loan.

It was in Thailand if that makes any difference.

It was a while back and I don't remember the cover "trigger level" where a test was required, possibly 500k US.

• 3 months later...