Thai Car + Motorcycle License: Use an Agent vs Do-It-Yourself in Pattaya??

WaveHunter

So, I have a USA drivers license (for car only, but am experienced motorcycle rider) and an International Driver Permit.  I'm wondering which is a better way to get Thai Car + Motorcycle License (use an agent vs do-it-yourself). 

It sounds like a lot of work getting documentation (visit to Doctor for Medical, visit to Immigration for Residence Certificate, and multiple trips to Land Transport Office to do application and testing, plus renting a bike for test.

I have talked to a couple of Agents that quote 6,000-7,000 baht total price to handle everything connected with getting both car and motorcycle license.  Both agents have been mentioned in positive way on this forum.  They will provide all filled out forms including medical and residency certificates, take photos in their office, accompany me to Land Transport Office (important to me since I do not speak Thai) and provide a motorbike for testing, and claim the entire process will be completed in two days. 

If I do this on my own, it sounds like I'd be spending the close to the same amount of money for multiple Grab taxi trips (1500 baht each trip) to Land Transport Office and bike rental, and way more time and possible frustration dealing with Land Transport Office, not to mention a couple of days getting the medical and residency certificate.

Either way, assuming I have a valid USA license (for car only) and an international permit, having to spend time watching their video tutorials and written testing is waved; correct?

Kind of sounds like a no-brainer to use an agent; just wondering if I am missing something?

they need to take YOUR pictures for each license.

if your car license is current and the idp is for cars, you will have to take the reaction-test(simple) for car license. you will have to watch a 1hour movie.

if you do not have a m/c and idp for motorcycle, you will have to start from scratch, written test and practical test.

where are you planing to get your license?

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

just wondering if I am missing something?

Just a few things   I don't think the agent will supply medical and residence certificate themself..you may have to go to immigration and the clinic yourself ( with the agent)

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

for multiple Grab taxi trips (1500 baht each trip) to Land Transport Office and bike rental

If you don't have a bike then hire one and drive it to the testing centre..to do the tests.  you'll have to do all the tests as you don't have a motorbike licence to "exchange"/"convert"  all the tests are eyesight and reaction,computerised theory test and a practical on track driving test.

The car license you should be able to "exchange"/"convert" with only having to do the eyesight/reaction tests

I found the hardest thing was the computer theory test  as the question/answers are sometimes nonsensical  in the English version..they recently increased the required percentage of correct answers needed to pass.

2 minutes ago, rodknock said:

they need to take YOUR pictures for each license.

if your car license is current and the idp is for cars, you will have to take the reaction-test(simple) for car license. you will have to watch a 1hour movie.

if you do not have a m/c and idp for motorcycle, you will have to start from scratch, written test and practical test.

where are you planing to get your license?

You're right.  The agent told me they'd provide guidance on written test and I'd have to watch video at Land Transport Office, and then take 50 question test (no big deal I guess).  I'm in Pratumnak so plan to do it at ChonBuri (Banglamung, I think).

Just now, johng said:

Just a few things   I don't think the agent will supply medical and residence certificate themself..you may have to go to immigration and the clinic yourself ( with the agent)

If you don't have a bike then hire one and drive it to the testing centre..to do the tests.  you'll have to do all the tests as you don't have a motorbike licence to "exchange"/"convert"  all the tests are eyesight and reaction,computerised theory test and a practical on track driving test.

The car license you should be able to "exchange"/"convert" with only having to do the eyesight/reaction tests

I found the hardest thing was the computer theory test  as the question/answers are sometimes nonsensical  in the English version..they recently increased the required percentage of correct answers needed to pass.

I asked the agents specifically if I would have to visit Immigration for Res. certificate and they said they would take my pictures in Agent office and that they had contacts at Imm to handle the Certificate so that a visit to Imm would not be necessary.  That was a big relief because any visit to Imm at all has always been a hectic and unpleasant experience.

They also said they could handle medical certificate (not sure if they meant they would accompany to MD or what, but getting a medical certificate sounds simple enough I could do that on my own, so not concerned about that.

I don't have my own motorcycle yet, and both agents said they would provide one for the practical test.

I was told that with existing licence from the USA and a IDP, no written test was necessary, but considering I don't have a motorcycle provision on my USA license, maybe I misunderstood and a written test is required.  Either way, not a big deal.

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

it is easy. do it yourself. i am an American. agents make you weak.

the more things you can accomplish by yourself the stronger you are here. 

That used to be my sentiment until I went through getting a long-stay visa.  What a nightmare that was queuing in lines at the Imm office, dealing with short-tempered Imm officers looking for the slightest error in paperwork, telling me to fix and come back the next day, rules and procedures that were confusing and seemed to change from one day to the next, language barrier, etc... .  If an agent can save me all that angst for very little more than I'd end up paying on my own, and with a minimum of time wasted on my part, it just sounds like an agent is worth it. 

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

If you pay 15000 agents can also handle all the tests????

That's what I've heard.  I don't mind playing by the rules though.  I just want to avoid unnecessary headaches of trips to Immigration, renting a motorcycle for testing, language barrier of dealing with Land Transport Office, possible errors in paperwork, etc... .  The savings of doing it myself vs using an agent really come down to perhaps 1500 baht.  That's not much to pay for what you get.  Getting the licenses in a couple of days vs 3 days an an extra trip to the Land Transport Office, and knowing the Agent will be sure that everything is done correctly, thus avoiding additional trips is also a good thing.

9 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Just wait until you get your licenses, and get out in the traffic.

LOL!  Yeah, I ride a road bicycle now as my main transportation.  I'm well acquainted with crazy drivers on Thai roads (both Farang and Non-Farang...I'm not sure which is worse!).  I've had my share of encounters of the scary kind for sure ????  I'm not worried about my motorcycle skills; I rode motorcycles in the States for years.  My state didn't require a special provision for motorcycles on your license.  I now wish they had since it would probably have made this whole process of getting Thai license for MC easy.

there is no advantage using an agent for DL

if you do not have a MC license from your home country you will have to do the complete MC test minus the written test as you already have a car licence, an alternative would be to use an approved driving instruction agency and progress through them

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

That's what I've heard.  I don't mind playing by the rules though.  I just want to avoid unnecessary headaches of trips to Immigration, renting a motorcycle for testing, language barrier of dealing with Land Transport Office, possible errors in paperwork, etc... .  The savings of doing it myself vs using an agent really come down to perhaps 1500 baht.  That's not much to pay for what you get.  Getting the licenses in a couple of days vs 3 days an an extra trip to the Land Transport Office, and knowing the Agent will be sure that everything is done correctly, thus avoiding additional trips is also a good thing.

Going the agent route of 5000 baht, does not really help you in terms of time there.

Yes agent will get your residency certificate, doctors you will still need to visit yourself.

For new DL , bike in your case, you will need to sit the computer test, which many fail because of silly and confusing questions, the 5000 baht Agent can not help with that, then once you passed the computer test, back the next day to do all other tests and watch the video, then back again to do the riding 

So basically you can do it all yourself, if you prepared to waste 2-3 days.

Cost doing yourself is less than 500 baht for each DL

The other more expansive route, does not require any paperwork or to sit any tests. Only requires to show up, watch video for 15 -20 mins, do the colorblind test and you set to go, basically about 4 hours to do it all

9 hours ago, BestB said:

If you pay 15000 agents can also handle all the tests????

no, you still have to do eye test & reaction test.

i did it cause i estimated i couldnt sit up long enough

to do it at dlt pattaya, but unfortunately for me,

i had to endure a ride in a mini van almost to bkk,

i nearly passed out in pain before it was over,

it took many hours

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Going the agent route of 5000 baht, does not really help you in terms of time there.

Yes agent will get your residency certificate, doctors you will still need to visit yourself.

For new DL , bike in your case, you will need to sit the computer test, which many fail because of silly and confusing questions, the 5000 baht Agent can not help with that, then once you passed the computer test, back the next day to do all other tests and watch the video, then back again to do the riding 

So basically you can do it all yourself, if you prepared to waste 2-3 days.

Cost doing yourself is less than 500 baht for each DL

The other more expansive route, does not require any paperwork or to sit any tests. Only requires to show up, watch video for 15 -20 mins, do the colorblind test and you set to go, basically about 4 hours to do it all

You make some good points but I still think the agent is worthwhile because:

1. I don't have to deal at all with the Immigration Office; I just hate going in that place.  I never leave that looney bin in a good mood, ever!
  2. The agent will provide all transportation to and from my Condo to Land Transportation Office.  Using Grab, that would cost me 1,000 baht each round trip.
  3. The agent will provide a motorbike for my test, which saves me the cost and hassle of doing that on my own.
  4. The agent will be at Land Transportation Office with me in case I need an interpreter (the need for that will be pretty likely, I'm assuming)
  5. The agent will pick up the Licenses for me on the final day, saving me a trip to the Land Transportation Office for that.

All in all, it might cost me 1500-2000 baht more to use an agent, but save me the grief and angst of dealing with Thai bureaucrats and the miscellaneous time-wasting tasks, so it sounds worthwhile to me. 

Sorry, I did not read your entire post.

Myself, also American with DL but not endorsed for Motorcycle.

I got both Thai License myself,  no Agent (I am in Chiang Mai). The Car License consisted of watching a video and cost 150 baht if I remember correctly. 

For Motorbike License,  I had to take a test and I think was also 150 baht.

I did both my car and motorbike licence this year in Pattaya.

The car licence was a transfer  from my Australian licence and I have never had a motorbike licence so I had to do the questions and practical. Both were done without an agent and all went smoothly. I had a chat with another guy there who was using an agent. He wished he had done the process himself. 

For me, a little bit of running around for medical paperwork, certificate of residence from immigration, photos etc but no great hassle. I was lucky enough to borrow a bike from a mate, which I used to transport myself to the DLT. If you are not working over here then you have plenty of time. The questions can be found online. I read through them 3 times and managed to get 50/50. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

1 hour ago, Xavnel said:

Sorry, I did not read your entire post.

Myself, also American with DL but not endorsed for Motorcycle.

I got both Thai License myself,  no Agent (I am in Chiang Mai). The Car License consisted of watching a video and cost 150 baht if I remember correctly. 

For Motorbike License,  I had to take a test and I think was also 150 baht.

You've got me thinking; maybe I'll just hold off and get the car/motorcycle license once I return to Chiang Mai next month.  There, I can deal with the Imm office much better than down here in Pattaya, and the Land Transportation Office over in WatKet is just a few minutes from my condo.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

I did both my car and motorbike licence this year in Pattaya.

The car licence was a transfer  from my Australian licence and I have never had a motorbike licence so I had to do the questions and practical. Both were done without an agent and all went smoothly. I had a chat with another guy there who was using an agent. He wished he had done the process himself. 

For me, a little bit of running around for medical paperwork, certificate of residence from immigration, photos etc but no great hassle. I was lucky enough to borrow a bike from a mate, which I used to transport myself to the DLT. If you are not working over here then you have plenty of time. The questions can be found online. I read through them 3 times and managed to get 50/50. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Thanks for your comments.  You and others who have responded have got me thinking maybe I should wait until I return to Chiang Mai next month and just do it all on my own.  I'm much more comfortable with Chiang Mai Immigration Office than the one in Jomtien, and the Land transportation Office is only a few minutes walk from my condo in Chiang Mai. 

Also, thanks for comment about the written test.  Some say that many Farangs fail it because of how weirdly the English translation are, but I see many people have posted sample questions from those tests here on ThaiVisa, so I don't see that as a problem.  Also I have plenty of friends in Chiang Mai who I'm sure would loan me their bike for the practical test.  Anyway thanks; your reply and others on this thread have inspired me to reconsider this whole thing ????

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Thanks for your comments.  You and others who have responded have got me thinking maybe I should wait until I return to Chiang Mai next month and just do it all on my own.  I'm much more comfortable with Chiang Mai Immigration Office than the one in Jomtien, and the Land transportation Office is only a few minutes walk from my condo in Chiang Mai. 

Also, thanks for comment about the written test.  Some say that many Farangs fail it because of how weirdly the English translation are, but I see many people have posted sample questions from those tests here on ThaiVisa, so I don't see that as a problem.  Also I have plenty of friends in Chiang Mai who I'm sure would loan me their bike for the practical test.  Anyway thanks; your reply and others on this thread have inspired me to reconsider this whole thing ????

the theory is not hard, i think its an adequate theory test,

the driving test is a bit of a joke really,

just drive 1 lap in a circle and show you got balance

to drive over a narrow area.

the catch is its a whole lot of waiting and sitting around, schedule to sit there the entire day waiting

10 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

The agent will pick up the Licenses for me on the final day, saving me a trip to the Land Transportation Office for that.

May have been mentioned already but you have to be there for your picture to be taken which is the last step and then you just wait for the licence to be printed which may be anything from 5 - 20 minutes in my experience.

So not sure how the agent can save you from that?

20 minutes ago, topt said:

May have been mentioned already but you have to be there for your picture to be taken which is the last step and then you just wait for the licence to be printed which may be anything from 5 - 20 minutes in my experience.

So not sure how the agent can save you from that?

Thanks for clarification.  I think I may have misunderstood about that.

55 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Easy to do everything yourself. You don't need to speak thai. Rent a bike for 2/3 days, sorted. But if you want to throw away 7000, upto you.

I hear others say just to rent a bike for the day and show up with it for your test, but isn't the officers at Land Transportation office going to give you a hard time about driving to your test without a license?  I mean, that just sounds like trouble...or is that just another quirky aspect of Thai bureaucracy?

QUESTION:  What if I just want to get my US License / Intn'l permit converted to a Thai (car) drivers license?  Is that a one day deal?  Show up with Residency certificate, medical certificate, application, and they process the license and you leave the same day with licence in hand?

I decided I'll wait to get motorcycle license until I move back to Chiang Mai, but I need to rent a car for my move, and if I get pulled over by police for anything during the trip, I don't want to get hassled for not having a license since that is a ticketable offence for anyone in the country past 60 days I believe.

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I hear others say just to rent a bike for the day and show up with it for your test, but isn't the officers at Land Transportation office going to give you a hard time about driving to your test without a license?  I mean, that just sounds like trouble...or is that just another quirky aspect of Thai bureaucracy?

when i was there for car test, i didnt have a car, so i offered someone nearby 200 baht to borrow the car for a few minutes

A post has been removed, please see the following forum rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

51 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Sorry, this is a general response not to brokenbone.

Just follow the rules and do it straight forward. No need to find a work around. Then you'll complain about how others drive and how they got licenses. It's like gaming the system as some try to do with immigration. 

System is beyond pathetic and road death tolls is a perfect example of it.

can not get much worse so no problem gaming it????

Archived