Thai Car + Motorcycle License: Use an Agent vs Do-It-Yourself in Pattaya??

WaveHunter

I have always done the business myself....with the help of the he wife. Now we are no longer together.         But really!... as you said yourself...is it not a "no-brainer"...get it ALL done for 6 or 7,000 Bt.....Why do you even need to ask?  It's hardly a fortune...I would jump at it even for double the price if I had everything done for me (2 licences) in 2 days?

On 10/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, BestB said:

Going the agent route of 5000 baht, does not really help you in terms of time there.

Yes agent will get your residency certificate, doctors you will still need to visit yourself.

For new DL , bike in your case, you will need to sit the computer test, which many fail because of silly and confusing questions, the 5000 baht Agent can not help with that, then once you passed the computer test, back the next day to do all other tests and watch the video, then back again to do the riding 

So basically you can do it all yourself, if you prepared to waste 2-3 days.

Cost doing yourself is less than 500 baht for each DL

The other more expansive route, does not require any paperwork or to sit any tests. Only requires to show up, watch video for 15 -20 mins, do the colorblind test and you set to go, basically about 4 hours to do it all

a person does not need a docs cert IF RE NEWING a thai driving licence at Pattaya DLT...

I did mine in Feb without Docs cert....!!

17 minutes ago, essox essox said:

a person does not need a docs cert IF RE NEWING a thai driving licence at Pattaya DLT...

I did mine in Feb without Docs cert....!!

You are right

but in the OP case it's not a renewing.

Anyway a medical certificate can be obtened for 100 bahts at 

one of the dozens of doctor offices in the city, not a big deal.

It is time consumming for sure but your IDP for the car will allow you to skip driving a car around circles and taking the written test. Since you don't have a license back home for Motorbike you will need to obtain a bike which in most cases the agent will provide you one at the DLT?  First time is the toughest thereafter it is pretty much a breeze.

I just did my 5 year for the 3rd time for car and bike last month never used an agent I usually go when it rains empty. Up the stairs at 8:30 am, did the eye test watch a video out the door at 11am.

I suggest aside from the first time, if you live here regardless of the language it would benefit you by doing it yourself particularly if you are old enough not to have to work what else are you doing it is just one day.

On 10/3/2019 at 11:44 AM, WaveHunter said:

That used to be my sentiment until I went through getting a long-stay visa.  What a nightmare that was queuing in lines at the Imm office, dealing with short-tempered Imm officers looking for the slightest error in paperwork, telling me to fix and come back the next day, rules and procedures that were confusing and seemed to change from one day to the next, language barrier, etc... .  If an agent can save me all that angst for very little more than I'd end up paying on my own, and with a minimum of time wasted on my part, it just sounds like an agent is worth it. 

But in the end for drivers licenses you still have to show up, take a test, watch a movie all the agents are doing for you is the paper work. If you are that lazy how do you get anything done.

8 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Instead of relying on your keyboard and posting, you need to go to the DLT and ask what they need. That's what I initially did. They quickly looked over my stuff and said that I was set to go. Did the vision and reaction tests, paid the fees and got the license. Since I had a valid DL fro US, I didn't have to do practical and or written test. 

My advice is to go and ask at DLT and get it correct from the start. They are not going to accept that poster 43 said you don't need this or that and/or to do this. They're in charge so ask or pay an agent if you are afraid to ask.

The drivers licenses people appear to have a fairly well run set up, at least here in CM never had a problem getting original licenses and then the 5 year.

Very simple questions regarding car-only drivers license conversion at Pattaya DLT:  

1. Can somebody please confirm...if you already have a home-country license and International Driver Permit, does Pattaya Department of Land Transportation require written / practical test or not? 
  2. Can the conversion be done in a single trip? 
  3. Typically, how much time should I allow for the whole process if I already have medical and residency certificates, and a filled out application in hand?

30 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Very simple questions regarding car-only drivers license conversion at Pattaya DLT:  

1. Can somebody please confirm...if you already have a home-country license and International Driver Permit, does Pattaya Department of Land Transportation require written / practical test or not? 
  3. Typically, how much time should I allow for the whole process if I already have medical and residency certificates, and a filled out application in hand?

1  No you only have to do reaction and eyesight test

2 Yes

3 All day  get there early before they open at 8 AM

49 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Your asking for advice but probably won't listen / read.

You need to ask the DLT. Since you have been here >1 year there could be differences. If you ask the same question here enough times you might find the answer (right or wrong) you are looking for, Being retire the time shouldn't really be an issue.

You are aware that one of the most important features of a forum like this is to ask such questions, and hopefully get relevant and helpful replies from people who have "been there, done that", don't you? 

Often that kind of information is far more helpful than what you'd get trying to speak with a DLP or Imm officer, especially since I do not speak or understand Thai that well. 

And, even though I may have a retirement visa, I value my time, so if I can get an answer in minutes by posting on ThaiVisa, why on earth would I frustrate myself with attempting to interact with DLP?  Only very obtuse person who has nothing better to do with his time would do otherwise.

Having relevant answers posted here on this thread not only will help me but help others who may search for this information as well.

Simply using a forum to be mean-spirited and judgemental of others does NOT make this community a better place or serve anyone else's needs.

24 minutes ago, johng said:

2 Yes

Sounds like you've "been there, done that".  I appreciate your helpful reply, and it will probably be relevant to a lot of other people besides me.  Concise and to-the point.  Appreciate it!

I applied and received my drivers license last month in Surin.  I went to a clinic near Surin Bangkok Bank's main branch and obtained the medical certificate - 30 baht. Entered the License office at 9:45, queued and when called, submitted my paperwork for review. Was then sent downstairs and paid 5 baht for 4 photocopies. Went back upstairs and handed those in. Next were the vision and reaction tests and after completion I was directed to the video room-29 Thais, 1 farang. After a short talk by the instructor, he started the video and left the room. Before the video finished a clerk entered the room. When she called your name you signed a register and received your paperwork and queue number. When my number was called, I paid my license fees-205 baht and waited to be called for the license photo to be taken. With new license in hand, I was out of the building at 11:20.

3 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Is that why you ask question that are not really seeking answers but promotion responses? 

No need for your unfounded insinuations.  Worded in a pretty inflammatory way, if you ask me!

3 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Best advice is to hop on a song tow and visit the the DLT office. 

That might be fair advice if the DLT was not an hour away from me, and I was not concerned about a language barrier.  As it turns out, all of my questions have been adequately answered by members of this forum who prefer to be helpful to fellow members.  Thanks anyway for your heartfelt advice.

You start with converting your car license to a thai. After completing the exam you get a new appointment to take the mc license. You can go to any small clinic in buakhao and the will issue medical paper for 100 but. Best to ask a thai girl and give her 1000bht to go with you. It's easy. The test you can find on youtube

You do not need an agent. Very basic medical maybe 150baht. Proof of address. In the first instance you get a 1 year then 5 years.

You take basic test red yellow green, basic eye test. All easy.

Take into account you require 360 vision in Thailand. The thai driver very rarely will give way! Drives at speed, do not indicate...Basically bad untrained drivers and alot have no insurance to drive

Whatever, on peoples opinion about agents and licenses.

I think waiting 2 or 3 days or even one is a joke.

I hired an agent and it was on a day they were turning away people who made the trip and told to come another day.

I was in and out in an hour absolutely no test just photo and out.

Time is important to me for other activities not wasting it in a hot, smelly, way overcrowded unorganized DMV..

9 hours ago, johng said:
9 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

2 Yes

1) and usually watch the video

2) if you have all the 5 documents and copies, absolutely.

3) the answer for Pattaya 

But you can also use any DLT office and it very much depends on the office you go to and how busy they are.

My first licences took about an hour an a half getting there around 10:30, I did not have the application form in hand, but was accompanied by SWMBO.

My renewal took about 20 minutes arriving at about 11:30 So far I haven't been asked to watch the video YMMV TIT.

The the information you need on the DLT.go.th website. Though there is still an amusing typo.

IMG_8429.thumb.PNG.4adf63319db8c17caa9cfa67a50b3091.PNG

On 10/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, BestB said:

If you pay 15000 agents can also handle all the tests????

What tests? The only one I had to pass when I went from an IDP to the two year licence was identification of red, green and yellow on a traffic light. English was acceptable.

From memory, eye and reaction tests were spelled out on the medical certificate.

I did the car and motorbike license at the mentioned office about 3 years ago. Got both in my home country also, but opted to do both licenses here again. 

The whole process took me about 2 half days and I learned a lot about Thai traffic rules, some quite different from the ones in my homes country. 

As you mentioned, you ride a bike here already. See the trip to the DLT as a beautiful bike ride outside Pattaya city limits. It takes just something like 25 minutes one way. 

Why I wouldn‘t use an agency? They might get busted in the future and your name might come up with some unwanted consequences. I still remember the guys who used Bangkoks Hole in the Wall Visa Service. Handing in their passports to avoid the trip to the Malaysian border. At the end they had problems with their visa stamps. Old story... not going into details. Doing the theory and practical yourself will give you an insight of the whole process and might open your eyes, why Thai drivers often struggle even so they got a license. 

1. Went to the DLT and made an appointment. Got an paper with the necessary documents listed. 

2. Got my medical. 100 Baht

3. Got my residency paper from Immigration. Make sure to write in your application form that it is for car & motorbike license. I needed only one residency for Can‘t remember exactly how much I paid. Probably 250 Baht 

4. Show up early, well before 08:00 o’clock at the DLT the day you made your appointment. 

5. Documents will be checked at the second floor. The residency and medical can not be too old. I think it was one week, but not certain any more. 

6. Colour test, distance and reaction. I saw a lady fail the reaction when I did my renewal. That should be avoided, because that means the candidate has to come back another day. 

7. About 4 hours of different videos. Some in English, some in Thai. Some are already really worn out. Around 12:00 o’clock day one done. 

Next day: 

1. Again early morning before 08:00 o’clock. 

2. Proceed straight to the second floor and get an official paper with your name on it. Make sure it is your name and no spelling errors or wrong birthdate. 

3. Back down to get your own motorbike and get to the test track. It is not allowed to check out the test course on own. Don‘t forget your crash helmet. At the end of day it is a test to obtain a drivers license. 

4. An official from the DLT will explain the test course, walking parts of the course with the candidates. Explantation is both in Thai and English. It took about 45 minutes.

5. Another official will than drive the test course on a motorbike. 

6. Drive much slower than you normally would do. At the end is stop sign. Come to a full stop. Waiting for 3 seconds will not harm. You have to make a left turn. Indicate well ahead. 

To be continued...

I prepared for the theory test using this website: 

Thailanddriving.info

Good luck. 

I did both motorbike and car the same morning. To achieve this one has to be speedy. 2 x driving test and 2 x theory. 

In in between I had even time to rent a car for the test. 

Good luck. 

Final thought... I can understand why some Thais struggle considering how many hours of driving under supervision is mandatory in European countries compared to Thailand. 

Archived