Best schools in Chiang Mai for Ed Visa

Stephen Zevon

6 minutes ago, Stephen Zevon said:

hearing about schools being shut down, want one that is established and reputable.

They are shutting down because it appears that the immigration authorities no longer consider the edu visa to be valid and student enrollments have dropped accordingly.

You probably won't have any problem getting and using one for just one year, but don't count on being able to continue learning Thai for years. It is a pity, because it is a tough language to master, a year is not really long enough.

It is also a pity for the schools because, financially, they depend on some students continuing for multiple years, most of that business is now evaporating.

All of this dramatically reduces the chance of Thai becoming the world's dominant language.

This has been discussed many times before in this forum. Did you not search for it?

Anyway, it really depends on what you aim to achieve. Most people want an education visa to just stay in Thailand and not really study.

Few people really want to learn Thai beyond the elementary level because Thai is a tough language to master. I hear many people complaining when they were learning at the elementary level.

The famous schools that provide education visa in Chiang Mai are:

1. Payap university (toughest course)

2. Chiang Mai university (slow course)

3. AUA (American Alumni)

4. TSL Chiang Mai at Pantip Plaza

Be aware that immigration will test your Thai skill before the next renewal. I know of at least one guy who failed the test and got rejected.

I am curious whether those universities force you to attend or can you just pay for the semester and formal ED visa?

I am asking for those who already speak Thai at an intermediate level. If we chose a basic Thai course at university, we would have no issues passing the IOs test.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

This has been discussed many times before in this forum. Did you not search for it?

Anyway, it really depends on what you aim to achieve. Most people want an education visa to just stay in Thailand and not really study.

Few people really want to learn Thai beyond the elementary level because Thai is a tough language to master. I hear many people complaining when they were learning at the elementary level.

The famous schools that provide education visa in Chiang Mai are:

1. Payap university (toughest course)

2. Chiang Mai university (slow course)

3. AUA (American Alumni)

4. TSL Chiang Mai at Pantip Plaza

Be aware that immigration will test your Thai skill before the next renewal. I know of at least one guy who failed the test and got rejected.

I have researched. It’s just that it can all change quicker than the weather. So I wanted as up to date as I could get. I’m genuine about learning as much as possible...anyway, thank you for your response, it was the only reply that even came close to answering the question. 

5 hours ago, Stephen Zevon said:

I have researched. It’s just that it can all change quicker than the weather. So I wanted as up to date as I could get. I’m genuine about learning as much as possible...anyway, thank you for your response, it was the only reply that even came close to answering the question. 

That thread was only a month ago and is still quite recent.

No, the number of learn Thai schools that are reputable don't change much and it has been that way for many years even decades.

The less known and smaller ones may come and go.

Archived