Urgent Advice Needed

My extension of stay (based on retirement) expires on the 9th of this month (October) and my re-entry permit expires on the same day.

I intended being back in Pattaya in good time to renew my extension of stay at Jomtien Immigration but I am currently still in the UK due to having to receive urgent medical attention whilst here.

I need advice on whether or not I will have any problems with Immigration at Suvarnabhumi airport when I am finally well enough to return to Thailand, probably in a month or so. Or, will the 30 days that are normally automatically granted when entering the Kingdom be allowed to me, this giving me time to apply for a new extension of stay.

Any advice given would be gratefully received.

Your original non imm o visa and subsequent extension of stay will all by gone..............so you will need another non imm o visa before leaving the uk, then extend it once you get back into Thailand

Apologies just re read your post........missed you/ll be back before 9th......if you get back in by the 6th say you should have time but its going to be tight

Edited by thaiflyer1

You would need to be on a plane in the next couple of days and you would be stamped in until 9th, but that would still only leave Mon, Tues, Wed next week to do your extension. 

"WHEN FINALLY WELL ENOUGH"

Sounds like you won't reenter before your permission of stay expires. Best take time with medical issues.

Fly in and enter visa exempt. Do "conversion" to non o at imm. Gives you 90 days to organize extension. 

19 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"in a month or so", indeed extension status void.

I wouldn't expect a problem getting a 30 day visa exempt.

BUT as written it is easier to start from scratch by entering with a Non O visa.

Saves you an extra step (converting to visa status).

That's an OK suggestion however I don't see the " extra step" issue.

Visa exempt give him plenty of time for conversion, then imm for non o. Either way is fine. Having current medical care might be easier do conversion in los in future. Either way OP don't rush back, Thailand will still be here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Your original non imm o visa and subsequent extension of stay will all by gone..............so you will need another non imm o visa before leaving the uk, then extend it once you get back into Thailand

Apologies just re read your post........missed you/ll be back before 9th......if you get back in by the 6th say you should have time but its going to be tight

At the third attempt re reading the post........you wont be back before the 9th so a new non imm visa in the uk will be the way to go........imo..............

Edited by thaiflyer1

3 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

At the third attempt re reading the post........you wont be back before the 9th so a new non imm visa in the uk will be the way to go........imo..............

Its a minor point, however all his "stuff" is most likely in Thailand. When I return to au I don't take my Thai bank books etc. The op can know what's best for him. For me I would convert visa exempt to non o in los. There isn't much disadvantage either way. 

I am really confused at some of these responses.  It seems that he won't be back for a month.  His extension expires in less than a week.  How will he be able to get an extension of stay on an expired visa whose previous extension has also now expired?

EDIT: No I have just confused myself off the back of one other poster who was confused.  Apologies all.

Edited by Slip

1 minute ago, Slip said:

I am really confused at these responses.  It seems that he won't be back for a month.  His extension expires in less than a week.  How will he be able to get an extension of stay on an expired visa whose previous extension has also now expired?

Did you read previous several posts advise re obtain new non o given that fact?

Let me try to summarise:

You are going to lose your current extension of permission to stay on the basis of retirement. This leaves you two options.

1. You can return visa exempt (which should be no problem) or with a tourist visa and apply for a conversion of your tourist entry into a non immigrant entry on the basis that you will be getting a retirement extension. Depending on where you apply, the financial proof for the conversion can be awkward. Jomtien is one office where the conversion is known to be problematic without involving agents. Later, towards the end of the 90-day non immigrant entry, you apply for the retirement extension in the normal way.
  2. If you can meet the requirements in the UK, apply for a single entry Non O visa based on being over 50 before your return to Thailand. This eliminates the need for the conversion process.

Bear in mind, if coming back visa exempt, that the airline is likely to ask to see an onward flight out of Thailand.

Yet another option is the Non O-A (long stay) visa, but that has more demanding requirements (like police checks) and I imagine you are not in the mood to deal with that.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's an OK suggestion however I don't see the " extra step" issue.

Visa exempt give him plenty of time for conversion, then imm for non o. Either way is fine. Having current medical care might be easier do conversion in los in future. Either way OP don't rush back, Thailand will still be here.

The extra step issue is that with a visa exempt, in order to convert or get a O visa, he would have to leave Thailand to get it.  Whereas if he gets a OA in the UK before leaving the UK, there are no extra steps involved

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The extra step issue is that with a visa exempt, in order to convert or get a O visa, he would have to leave Thailand to get it.  Whereas if he gets a OA in the UK before leaving the UK, there are no extra steps involved

That used to be my understanding........need to leave the country to get the Non Imm visa......however the thread below contradicts this

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/990336-converting-visa-exempt-to-non-immigrant-o/

That said heres another thread from this year where the guy got rejected for visa exempt to non imm o and extension

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1093240-exemption-to-o-a-conversion/

Which is why i would obtain the non imm before leaving the UK.......but its your choice obviously

2 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

That used to be my understanding........need to leave the country to get the Non Imm visa......however the thread below contradicts this

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/990336-converting-visa-exempt-to-non-immigrant-o/

That said heres another thread from this year where the guy got rejected for visa exempt to non imm o and extension

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1093240-exemption-to-o-a-conversion/

Which is why i would obtain the non imm before leaving the UK.......but its your choice obviously

Yes but I think then after 90 days on the O visa you have to leave Thailand and re-enter.  You are really getting a 90 day O.  Converting to the O visa initially doesn't require a trip out and in. 

8 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes but I think then after 90 days on the O visa you have to leave Thailand and re-enter.  You are really getting a 90 day O.  Converting to the O visa initially doesn't require a trip out and in. 

This is incorrect. No need to exit los. Do the conversion to non o within los and then apply for extension at imm.

Hi everyone

My situation seems to have been slightly misunderstood by some of the contributors. I will then try to clear up some of this confusion whilst still asking for some further kind advice.

My extension of stay (based on retirement) and my re-entry permit both expire on 09/10/2019 (in 2 days time). As I shall not be well enough to fly by the expiry date I totally accept that the extension of stay and the re-entry permit will be null and void after the 9th of this month.

My question is: when I am well enough to return to Thailand (probably in approximately one months time) will I be granted the normal 30 days that are granted to most tourists. If that is the case, the problem resolves itself, as the 30 days will give me ample time to apply for a new extension of stay (based on retirement). 

Again, any help with the above would be very much appreciated.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, soloseaview said:

My question is: when I am well enough to return to Thailand (probably in approximately one months time) will I be granted the normal 30 days that are granted to most tourists. If that is the case, the problem resolves itself, as the 30 days will give me ample time to apply for a new extension of stay (based on retirement). 

You first have to apply for a 90 day immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. You will need at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it. Requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for the extension of stay.