Another Shopping Mall

wreckingcountry

We need a few more malls to continue the current continuous row of malls from MBK to Central Embassy to extend it to Asoke.

Another 3 or 4 should do it.

Then I can walk home from work during the monsoon without getting wet.

11 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

How can you tell it's not a large SmallC?

Those are called Big C Market. We had quite a sizeable one open near us, and then Tesco opened 200 meters from it and Big C's business dropped 90 percent. Might see two or three cars parked there now, they have only one till open and all the small businesses inside have closed. You can almost see the tumbleweed. They got so desperate they even had someone greeting you at the entrance and thanking you for shopping as you left. Sad really, to see such investment go to waste, but Tesco offers far more so......

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They do actually call the small ones Mini Big C.

The one in Samyan Mitrtown is a variation I haven't seen before called "Big C Foodplace"  - it's quite a bit bigger than a Mini Big C, but much, MUCH smaller than a regular Big C hypermart.

Typical novelty attraction at moment ! Thais queuing outside open plan restaurants and Infact we were interested in going to P....... lunch and were told “ have to pay for food first “before there was even a table to sit at . mai ow was my response !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

A decent foodcourt like in Singapore....

I am sure the owners of the land assessed the most viable development before building...... I expect their is a food court in there. If a Singapore style one would be commercially successful i am sure someone would do one...

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I am sure the owners of the land assessed the most viable development before building...... I expect their is a food court in there. If a Singapore style one would be commercially successful i am sure someone would do one...

Well do you think central embassy makes any profit? It should be much more busy me thinks...

But for us we go to the mall where we want to eat....lately it was the Central World buffet restaurant for 600 baht a person.

The Singapore style foodcourts have a higher quality than the Thai ones, yes they also cost more but it's worth it. Indonesian/Malaysian food is what we miss in BKK.

7 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well do you think central embassy makes any profit? It should be much more busy me thinks...

But for us we go to the mall where we want to eat....lately it was the Central World buffet restaurant for 600 baht a person.

The Singapore style foodcourts have a higher quality than the Thai ones, yes they also cost more but it's worth it. Indonesian/Malaysian food is what we miss in BKK.

Not all shopping malls are successful anywhere, i think its fair to say that walking through Central Embassy it has missed its target, but whether they are profitable or not i have no idea. I would however in general trust the Central Group to more often than not make a success of their developments and i am pretty sure they have more knowledge on the market than Fruitman from the internet, even if they dont have a 100% success rate.

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Not all shopping malls are successful anywhere, i think its fair to say that walking through Central Embassy it has missed its target, but whether they are profitable or not i have no idea. I would however in general trust the Central Group to more often than not make a success of their developments and i am pretty sure they have more knowledge on the market than Fruitman from the internet, even if they dont have a 100% success rate.

Wow, without know anything about me you can already conclude that Central knows best? Do you park your high horse in the parking lot??

BKK has more than enough Central malls, it's time for more competition in my opinion. They all have the same shops, so boring.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Wow, without know anything about me you can already conclude that Central knows best? Do you park your high horse in the parking lot??

BKK has more than enough Central malls, it's time for more competition in my opinion. They all have the same shops, so boring.

I stand ready to accept that you are a national authority on the Thailand retail business, and will be happy to hold my hands up and admit my mistake.

I dont disagree that their are lots of malls or that more competition would be a good thing, but that does not distract from the fact Central Group generally know their business and one would presume have the market knowledge, advisors, professionals on all aspects of this to more often than not get their developments right.

Just because you think they are boring, or that they should have a Singaporean food court does not mean it would be successful.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:13 AM, smutcakes said:

I stand ready to accept that you are a national authority on the Thailand retail business, and will be happy to hold my hands up and admit my mistake.

I dont disagree that their are lots of malls or that more competition would be a good thing, but that does not distract from the fact Central Group generally know their business and one would presume have the market knowledge, advisors, professionals on all aspects of this to more often than not get their developments right.

Just because you think they are boring, or that they should have a Singaporean food court does not mean it would be successful.

Well my thai friend is the marketing manager of these malls, and he loves to hear my experiences from Singapore for example so he can implement it in Thailand. He's also keen to hear my frustrations in said malls so he can improve it.

So you think guys like him know their business very well? Honestly i don't understand why they hired him but probably because of his resume which is outstanding. He hasn't been abroad often though and also has never been in the position to buy whatever he likes...

In Central Embassy it's hard to find english speaking staff, also many are arrogant...especially the ones who sell very expensive items...When i walk in an expensive shop and the sales comes to me immediately to ask how he can hell me i'm done already.

It seems they still don't understand that customers want to look first before listening to his salestalk. It was the same in Europe 25 years ago but that all changed.

Have you never been followed by Thai sales while you're just looking in a shop out of interest? Homepro is a great example for that but they also do it in more upscale shops like in Embassy. How come those salespersons think i need their help to buy a poloshirt or a towell?? They even don't give me time to look around...

That's where singapore is so much better, they won't annoy their customers and if you ask them something they really give you the answer in perfect english...

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Have you never been followed by Thai sales while you're just looking in a shop out of interest? Homepro is a great example for that but they also do it in more upscale shops like in Embassy. How come those salespersons think i need their help to buy a poloshirt or a towell?? They even don't give me time to look around...

It always is annoying when the Thai staff follows your every move when you walk around the shop. It's like they're trying to make sure you don't try and steal something by putting it down your pants and running off.

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

It always is annoying when the Thai staff follows your every move when you walk around the shop. It's like they're trying to make sure you don't try and steal something by putting it down your pants and running off.

have experienced this all over asia, the philipines is even more blatant in this regard

Just now, metempsychotic said:

have experienced this all over asia, the philipines is even more blatant in this regard

They don't want anyone stealing from their shops in asia. The staff's job is both customer service and security guard / loss prevention officer lol

2 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

I find it pretty obtrusive in the US, cant say i notice it much here, but i don't spend much time looking around shops.

Archived