Navy says ฿112m mansion to be guest house for VIP visitors and official residence of navy chief

webfact

Navy says ฿112m mansion to be guest house for VIP visitors and official residence of navy chief

Apinan.jpg

The Royal Thai Navy has dismissed widespread online criticism that it is wasting taxpayers’ money by building a 112m baht mansion as an official residence for its commander-in-chief.

Rear Admiral Apinan Poengsrithong, head of the Naval Public Works Department, told a news conference today (Thursday) that the building, which is now under construction, is to be the official residence of the navy’s C-in-C and serve as the RTN’s official accommodation for its VIP guests.

He said that the former official residence, located next to Wat Arun, or the “Temple of Dawn” on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, was built more than 30 years ago. Its concrete foundations were heavily damaged by the severe flooding in 2011. He said that repairs were too costly, hence the construction of a new building on the same spot.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/navy-says-฿112m-mansion-to-be-guest-house-for-vip-visitors-and-official-residence-of-navy-chief/

thaipbs.jpg

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

building a 112m baht mansion as an official residence for its commander-in-chief.

An absolutely tragic waste of money. And then he's bleating on about how much he so wants to help poor people ! Disgrace.

I do hope the Airforce Chief also gets something on this grand scale to bring him in line with his army and navy colleagues, wouldn't want him to lose face now, would we! Disgusting!

Meanwhile in a place not too distant....

Isaan-village-300x195.jpg

"The excess of one is the shortage of another" there are so many wrongs with the premise that an army guy should have such a mansion for his use i don't know where to begin, and what makes it worse that whoever authorised and pay for it sees nothing wrong with it including the PM...

I guess building government infrastructure, assists in the building the economy by employing local tradespeople and using local suppliers.

Allows for good security for visiting dignitaries, saves hotel costs, and has them where they are required without requiring cavalcades of vehicles.

looking for some positives, when the funds could have been used to alleviate housing shortages for vulnerable people and also hospital care or aged care.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

120 million. Hmm, that's about equal to 120  2 bedroom row houses that could house 120 families of 4 to 6 (more in Thai style).

SSDD

112 million, not 120..

1 hour ago, bangkokfrog said:

One question that is not being asked is why is the old residence falling into the river after only 40 years. I think I know the answer!

no being asked as the answer is in the article:

built more than 30 years ago. Its concrete foundations were heavily damaged by the severe flooding in 2011

This might be a stretch but in talking to a Tuk Tuk driver, in reply to a question i asked him about how things are going economically for him, his reply was " the communists ( meaning the military was in control of the country) so that is why things are not good now. That reply got me wondering if maybe he was on to something. Yes I  know Thailand supposedly had free and open elections but based on what I have read that seemed to be a lie. All I do know is that the military is buying more and more very expensive weapons systems and their budget is astronomical. It is a pity since the average Thai citizen is truly hurting and so much more could be done to help the plight of the citizenry if so much of the budget did go into the budget of the military and undoubtedly into the pockets on the generals and their cronies. As for this lavish mansion, it is another example of the so called elites being taken care of at the expense of the populace and it is disgraceful.

If you think this is bad you definitely should not look into the amount of military hotels (as in 3 and 4 star beach properties built as hotels with golf courses, pools, restaurants, etc) there are in Thailand. Paid for by the tax payer and only military personnel can stay at them.

16 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

112 million, not 120..

no being asked as the answer is in the article:

built more than 30 years ago. Its concrete foundations were heavily damaged by the severe flooding in 2011

And here we are, reading a report about ostentatious living quarters in ‘2019’.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that the former official residence, located next to Wat Arun, or the “Temple of Dawn” on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, was built more than 30 years ago

Would not worry about it, give it time it will just join the forthcoming Bangkok Atlantis

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sick thats what it is sick, 112 million just so a handful of greedy slobs can live the high life.

And no doubt there will be the extras thrown in at the mansion Pigs in the trough while the poor suffer in thailand

Archived