Canada Conservative leader forced on defensive over dual citizenship, abortion stance

webfact

Canada Conservative leader forced on defensive over dual citizenship, abortion stance

By Steve Scherer

2019-10-04T004516Z_1_LYNXMPEF93012_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-ELECTION.JPG

Canada's Progressive Conservative leader Andrew Scheer smiles during a campaign rally in Halifax, Nova Scotia, October 3, 2019. REUTERS/John Morris

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (Reuters) - The leader of Canada's main opposition Conservative Party was forced on the defensive on Thursday over the disclosure he holds dual Canada-U.S. citizenship and his "pro-life" stance on abortion, less than three weeks before the national election.

Andrew Scheer, locked in a tight battle with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau ahead of the Oct. 21 election, confirmed a Globe and Mail newspaper report that he holds American citizenship because his father was born in the United States. But he said he had asked in August to renounce it and was waiting for confirmation the process was complete.

In 2005, when he was a young Conservative lawmaker, Scheer questioned the dual citizenship of the woman who was to become Canada's acting head of state, Michaelle Jean.

"Does it bother you that she is a dual citizen (France and Canada)?" he asked on his blog at the time.

Asked about his blog entry after a rally in a Chinese restaurant in Halifax on Thursday, he told reporters: "I asked a question at the time to my constituents."

Scheer said his decision to give up his U.S. citizenship now was "personal" and that he had not mentioned it before because "no one's ever asked me."

In a separate statement, one of his spokesmen said Scheer had never voted in the United States and decided to give up his U.S. citizenship before the federal election campaign. In the past, the Conservative Party has been critical of rival politicians who held dual citizenship, questioning their loyalty.

Trudeau was forced to defend himself last month when old images emerged of him in blackface. The tables were turned slightly on Thursday.

"Over a million Canadians hold dual citizenship – it's part of what makes Canada great. But none have hidden that fact when running to be Prime Minister," said Zita Astravas, the spokeswoman for the Liberal Party campaign.

"Andrew Scheer has been fundamentally dishonest with Canadians about who he is," she said in a statement.

PRESSED ON ABORTION VIEWS

Earlier in the day, after being accused by opponents of hiding hard-line views on abortion, Scheer said he was "pro-life," while repeating a promise not to limit a woman's right to choose.

Scheer's comments marked the first time he had directly addressed the issue since the election campaign started last month.

There are few restrictions on abortion in Canada and the Conservatives have traditionally steered clear of the topic, fearing they could alienate progressive voters.

Scheer, whose party includes legislators and officials who hold anti-abortion views, accuses the Liberals of trying to use the matter as a wedge issue. Many social conservatives backed Scheer's party leadership bid in 2017.

Trudeau repeatedly pressed Scheer to publicly state his views on the abortion issue during a French-language debate on Wednesday. Scheer sidestepped the question, stating simply that as prime minister, he would not reopen the matter.

"My personal position has always been open and consistent," Scheer, a 40-year-old father of five, told reporters during a campaign stop in the Atlantic province of New Brunswick.

"I am personally pro-life, but I've also made the commitment as leader of this party it is my responsibility to ensure that we do not reopen this debate," he said.

(Reporting by Steve Scherer; Additional reporting by David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Writing by Kelsey Johnson and David Ljunggren; Editing by Tom Brown and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-04

So the Tories go after Thomas Mulclair, Ms Jean and Stéphane Dion for having duel citizenship. They said Michael Ignatieff was unfit to be PM because he lived outside the country too long teaching at Harvard. Now its revealed that Scheer has been hiding the fact of his own duel citiznship. Pure gold this is.  What absolute hypocrites. Then we learn that he lied on his bio. Turns out he was never an insurance broker but a clerk or gopher in a insurance office. I guess when that's the only job he ever had outside politics he saw a need to punch it up a bit. The man is a disgrace and should stand aside for someone honest. There has to be at least one or two candidates that meet that test within the Tories. 

28 minutes ago, pegman said:

So the Tories go after Thomas Mulclair, Ms Jean and Stéphane Dion for having duel citizenship. They said Michael Ignatieff was unfit to be PM because he lived outside the country too long teaching at Harvard. Now its revealed that Scheer has been hiding the fact of his own duel citiznship. Pure gold this is.  What absolute hypocrites. Then we learn that he lied on his bio. Turns out he was never an insurance broker but a clerk or gopher in a insurance office. I guess when that's the only job he ever had outside politics he saw a need to punch it up a bit. The man is a disgrace and should stand aside for someone honest. There has to be at least one or two candidates that meet that test within the Tories. 

If that is the only thing you got against Scheer, in contrast to Trudeau proven crooked clown show, I don't think he has much to worry about. Lot's of people have duel citizenship and he has committed to the process to renounce. it's a nothing burger all the way.

What you really don't like is a man with Christian faith might get into power. And even though his beliefs will not effect you in any way. It just grinds your gears because of your racist opinions.

Funny thing taking Scheer to task over his resume.  Trudeau was a substitute drama teacher lol. Oh and a princeling.

31 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

If that is the only thing you got against Scheer, in contrast to Trudeau proven crooked clown show, I don't think he has much to worry about. Lot's of people have duel citizenship and he has committed to the process to renounce. it's a nothing burger all the way.

What you really don't like is a man with Christian faith might get into power. And even though his beliefs will not effect you in any way. It just grinds your gears because of your racist opinions.

Funny thing taking Scheer to task over his resume.  Trudeau was a substitute drama teacher lol. Oh and a princeling.

Well at least Trudeau didn't start running for office at 21 like this guy. Trudeau doesn't push religion like this guy either. Scheer  likes to make out like he's some hard-core evangelical even though his paternal side is Jewish and he went to Catholic school growing up in Ottawa. On the positive side his brother-in-law was one of the better punters my Blue Bombers have had in the last couple decades. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In 2005, when he was a young Conservative lawmaker, Scheer questioned the dual citizenship of the woman who was to become Canada's acting head of state, Michaelle Jean.

"Does it bother you that she is a dual citizen (France and Canada)?" he asked on his blog at the time.

Asked about his blog entry after a rally in a Chinese restaurant in Halifax on Thursday, he told reporters: "I asked a question at the time to my constituents."

BS

Scheer said his decision to give up his U.S. citizenship now was "personal" and that he had not mentioned it before because "no one's ever asked me."

BS

Earlier in the day, after being accused by opponents of hiding hard-line views on abortion, Scheer said he was "pro-life," while repeating a promise not to limit a woman's right to choose.

Serious BS. 

On October 4, 2019 at 1:21 AM, canuckamuck said:

Nothing burger? Not according to your guy Harper.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/stephen-harper-needles-ndp-leadership-hopeful-thomas-mulcair-on-dual-citizenship

12 minutes ago, pegman said:

Three points. I would be quite happy to have duel citizenship, and I would resist renouncing it if I could. I think that would hold true for anyone. It is a desirable asset.

Having duel citizenship shouldn't make any difference. Lots of people have this status.

He has already taken steps to renounce this asset. This shows a level of sacrifice he is ready to make to be Prime Minister. 

No smoke or fire, but keep trying.

sheer will just be trudeau 2.0....the light version. the hypocrisy from all sides of politics is becoming a major bore.

politics is a scam and our country is falling more and more into debt while the average joe argues about nothing come each election....no matter who is trying for the spot it's always the same bs with these people.

if only someone with integrity and a desire to help our country would step up to the plate. 

so sick of career politicians guiding our country into the garbage heap. 

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Three points. I would be quite happy to have duel citizenship, and I would resist renouncing it if I could. I think that would hold true for anyone. It is a desirable asset.

Having duel citizenship shouldn't make any difference. Lots of people have this status.

He has already taken steps to renounce this asset. This shows a level of sacrifice he is ready to make to be Prime Minister. 

No smoke or fire, but keep trying.

I completely agree. What is at issue here is Scheer and the Tory's hypocrisy. At  minimum he should apologize to Ms Jean.

36 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It might bring the discussion back to policies if he did.

Are there any substantial policy differences between the federal Grits and Tories? They definitely govern differently but their stated public polices are very aligned.

On 10/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, pegman said:

I completely agree. What is at issue here is Scheer and the Tory's hypocrisy. At  minimum he should apologize to Ms Jean.

willing to call out all hypocrisy ? 

https://nationalpost.com/news/trudeau-wont-remove-liberal-candidate-for-racist-sexist-social-media-posts

https://globalnews.ca/news/5990620/b-c-conservative-candidate-anti-gay/

neither side give a flying f about you.

Archived