Trading in Vietnam stays dull as market awaits new season supply

webfact

Trading in Vietnam stays dull as market awaits new season supply

By Phuong Nguyen and Mas Alina Arifin

2019-10-03T084434Z_1_LYNXMPEF920KI_RTROPTP_4_VIETNAM-COFFEE.JPG

A man checks roasted coffee beans at a factory in Hanoi, Vietnam November 22, 2016. REUTERS/Kham/File Photo

HANOI/BANDAR LAMPUNG (Reuters) - Coffee trading in Vietnam remained lacklustre this week as stockpiles dwindled and supply from the new season is unlikely to be available in around a month.

Farmers in the Central Highlands, Vietnam's largest coffee-growing area, sold coffee <COFVN-DAK> at 34,000 dong ($1.47) per kg on Thursday, slightly lower than a week ago.

The 2019/20 season started on Oct. 1 but traders said the market would stay muted until at least early November when new beans arrive.

"There are almost no beans left from the 2018/19 season," said a trader based in the Central Highlands. "Fresh beans won't arrive in bulk until the second week of November."

Traders in Vietnam offered 5% black and broken grade 2 robusta <COFVN-G25-SAI> at $180-$200 premium per tonne to the November contract on Thursday, unchanged from a week ago.

"Trade, supply and demand are all dull at the moment," said an analyst, also based in the region.

Vietnam's coffee exports in the first nine months of this year fell 12% from a year earlier to 1.27 million tonnes, or 2.12 million 60-kg bags, according to government data. [nL3N26H2TT]

Meanwhile, Indonesia's grade 4 defect 80 robusta beans <COFID-G4-USD> were offered at premiums of $210-$215 to the November contract, wider than $200 last week, a trader in the Sumatran province of Lampung said.

Another trader in the province said trade had slowed down this week as the main harvest came to an end.

Indonesia's robusta coffee bean exports from Sumatra rose 75% in September from the same month last year, local trade office data showed on Tuesday. [nJ9N22S04L]

(Reporting by Phuong Nguyen in HANOI and Mas Alina Arifin in BANDAR LAMPUNG; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-04

I bought a bag of coffee at the border to Laos which was labeled as Vietnames coffee. It's very different from regular coffee. It seems oily and smells a bit chocolately. Even though it wasn't the greasy Thai stuff they use for the ancient style Thai coffee, it had a similar taste. Is all the coffee from this area this oily stuff? Personally, I like Columbian and Guatamalan and stuff from that part of the world. Is there any equivalent to this in South East Asia that can be used with a drip filter? The Vietnamese clogs up the paper filters fast and it can take a long time to make a cup with that stuff.

55 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

I bought a bag of coffee at the border to Laos which was labeled as Vietnames coffee. It's very different from regular coffee. It seems oily and smells a bit chocolately. Even though it wasn't the greasy Thai stuff they use for the ancient style Thai coffee, it had a similar taste. Is all the coffee from this area this oily stuff? Personally, I like Columbian and Guatamalan and stuff from that part of the world. Is there any equivalent to this in South East Asia that can be used with a drip filter? The Vietnamese clogs up the paper filters fast and it can take a long time to make a cup with that stuff.

The Vietnamese only grow Robusta and (to my taste) over roast the beans until far too strong – one reason the Vietnamese coffee shops use so much condensed milk as otherwise undrinkable

Thailand generally uses Arabica beans which have a smoother taste

13 hours ago, mikecha said:

Go to makro   buy Douwe Egberts filter coffie red box or silver both Great

Buy local Arabica beans, grind them yourself for freshness.. a local shop to me sells a sealed pack of beans for 150 baht 500grms

Archived