Thailand's surging baht shatters expat dreams of easy retirement

webfact

The strong Baht and rampant greed driven inflation certainly does not help but the real problemfor we Brits is the appalling weakness of the UK pound sterling.  Pre-referendum is was 56 to the Baht and today it struggles to manage 37 – a near 20% loss in value, which causes either that increase in the cost of living or cut in living standard here in Thailand,  depending upon the ability to manage it.

I have often poked fun at the comic opera farce that passes for politics in Thailand, which is OK if you do not have to take it seriously.  However, the past three years in the UK has seen that pathetic gaggle of clowns which is our government and parliament way outdo its Thai equivalent, turning our currency into confetti. I am tempted to echo The Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland) and “…off with their heads”, for turning The Mother of all Parliaments into the mother of all screw-ups.

It is now, in fact, quite difficult to find things in Thailand that are cheaper than the UK and often they can be three to five times more expensive, with the obvious few exceptions like petrol and street food, which is rare in the UK.  When I go to the UK for the four summer months, I can save the price of my airfare on the cheaper cost of living there, excluding accommodation which costs me nothing in both countries. 

Why do I not stay there permanently then ?  Well after thirty-five years living in the tropics the winter weather would probably kill me off and I am fond to believe that my Thai family would miss me and I would certainly miss them. 

In the end the solution is, sadly, the simple one my Grandmother taught me:  Live within your means and what you cannot afford, do without. If you get sick, hop on a plane and pop off home – you will be awfully glad you did that anyway.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived