Ready to bid for 2034 FIFA World Cup with ASEAN countries – Thailand Sports Minister

webfact

Ready to bid for 2034 FIFA World Cup with ASEAN countries – Thailand Sports Minister

fifa.jpg

FILE photo

Thailand are ready to launch a joint bid with fellow ASEAN countries to host the 2034 FIFA World Cup, according to the country’s Tourism and Sports Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan.

The minister said this after holding a meeting in Thailand to discuss the hosting of one of the biggest sporting events in the world.

According to Thai News Agency (via Bernama), the minister informed that Thailand are ready to host the event along with the Southeast Asian countries “in line with the policy of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.”

Full story: https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/1180390/ready-to-bid-for-2034-fifa-world-cup-with-asean-countries-thailand-sports-minister/

-- FOX Sports Asia 2019-10-04

We have heard stupid ideas like this before. I know that awarding the FIFA World Cup to Qatar was equally stupid, but ASEAN does not have the deep pockets to pay for a World Cup. Add to that the fact that none of the ASEAN countries are anywhere near good enough to qualify for a World Cup tournament, and several of the countries are more corrupt than FIFA itself. 

It's a complete non-starter, and it's just the usual waffle that comes out of Thai ministries to try and justify their positions of importance, demands for budgets and claims for expenses.

4 minutes ago, Sunderland said:

but ASEAN does not have the deep pockets to pay for a World Cup.

Brunei? 

To look at it realistically, only Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore (possibly Viet Nam at a stretch) have the stadia possibly good enough to host such a tournament. Though the pitches and climate won't rule in their favour. 

Even were the tournament divided up between the above states, where would that leave the likes of Cambodia, Burma and Laos? 

It's a nice idea, a nice soundbite to impress the public, but won't happen.

2 hours ago, IvorLott said:

Brunei? 

To look at it realistically, only Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore (possibly Viet Nam at a stretch) have the stadia possibly good enough to host such a tournament. Though the pitches and climate won't rule in their favour. 

Even were the tournament divided up between the above states, where would that leave the likes of Cambodia, Burma and Laos? 

It's a nice idea, a nice soundbite to impress the public, but won't happen.

I doubt all Asean nations will be forced to sign up. Perhaps only the one's with capabilities would agree to it. Personally I think it's a good thing. 

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

The problem is that Thailand has one of the worst road tolls in the world and would FIFA want to risk the lives of teams by bringing them here , I personally wouldn't but that just my opinion . 

There were player safety concerns leading up to the Brazil World Cup. Murders and kidnapping are more of a worry than car crashes. Besides, the routes to and from stadia would be cleared for the teams to pass through. 

Archived