Wisdom tooth issue ... how serious?

wpcoe

Yesterday I noticed a "sensation" in my upper right jaw at the rear.  Not pain, just a strange feeling.

This morning I got up and it seems it might be my undescended wisdom tooth.  It is now a dull pain and has extended up toward my ear.

My dentist of choice, German Dental Clinic in Pattaya, seems to be closed Fri/Sat/Sun according to Google.  When I call, their phone rings once and disconnects.  After I tend to a few things, I plan to actually go there to see if they're open.*

If they are not open until Monday, how likely will it be that I'll be in need of treatment before Monday (I'm posting this on Friday morning)?  If likely, can someone recommend a dental doctor of a similar quality in Pattaya/Jomtien?  If I want to self-medicate with pain meds until Monday, would Tramadol be appropriate?

*PS:  Just found German Dental Clinic's website, and indeed, they are only open Mon-Thu.

Isn't it uncanny how these things occur just before a long weekend.Once went to a dentist on a Friday afternoon just before knock off time in Australia,never again it was the most painful experience I've had until recently I had a toothache and went to a respectable looking dentist in Yasothon this time it was the pain killing injection that was excruciating and took the number one position of most painful experience.Once in Bangkok I had a wisdom tooth that was going horizontal I went to a crappy looking dental clinic in Sukhumvit 101/1 cheap as chips she had to break the tooth into pieces as well cut it out as it was undescended,this whole operation was the most painless dental work I have experienced I didn't even feel the injection.Nor did I experience discomfort when a small piece of tooth emerged from my gums 2 months latter.

Sorry I can't help with the recommendation of Dentist or pain treatment,good luck is all I can offer.

If it is an impacted wisdom tooth the psin will steadily increase and could well become unmanageable before Monday.

There are dental depts in all hospitals and these are open 7 days a werk. There is something to be said for having impacted wisdom tooth extraction done at one, safer for use of a short acting general anesthetic which believe me is better than having that done under a local which seems to be the norm at clinics.

For pain relief I would start with an NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac etc) if you have no contraindications. These often work best as they actually reduce the inflammation which is causing most of the pain. Don't take if you are on bloid thinnets or have history of peptic ulcer disease ir kudney failure.

If NSAIDs don't do the trick yes tramadol can be tried.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks, Sheryl.  I've been taking aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine combo tablets since this morning and it does greatly reduce the pain.  I'm back to the condition I was yesterday:  discomfort and not pain.

I forgot about the hospitals having dental departments.  What you say makes sense, and I may go there rather than German Dental.  I still will try to hold on until Monday as I found that it seems that the A-Team doctors often work Monday-Friday.

I had withdrawal issues once before after weeklong use of tramadol for lower back pain, so I'm a little skittish about using it these days.  But, if pain were constant & intense, I would have used it to get through a painful weekend.  It appears that I won't need to do that, thank heavens.

[edited to add:]

If it is not impacted, and just a normally descending wisdom tooth, is there usually any need for surgery?  I ask because I know the profit-making motive of the hospitals and wonder if they would pressure me to go under the knife even if it weren't necessary.

Based on my past experience with German Dental, they are not of that persuasion.  When I went there for tooth pain the doctor there "prescribed" changing to a sensitive-tooth toothpaste first before anything else.  There was no charge for the visit & the advice worked.  A major dental hospital in Bangkok, however, had pressured me to have two teeth pulled because they had micro-fractures...

Don't know what its called but for ALL pain (tooth ache, headache, back pain,  muscle ache) I use a yellow tablet in red card from 7/11 pharmacist that tastes like foam banana !! - no idea the name of it - but its used for women's period pains mainly so the pharmacist says. Works 12 hours for me without feeling anything

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

For pain relief I would start with an NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac etc) if you have no contraindications. These often work best as they actually reduce the inflammation which is causing most of the pain. Don't take if you are on bloid thinnets or have history of peptic ulcer disease ir kudney failure.

Damn Sheryl, did you borrow my keyboard? ????

I brought me Tylenol from the states just because of the bloid thinnets I am on.

I actually have a second tooth growing  near one of my back molars and it needs to go, soon. Im going to go to BNH to have it done.

Go to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital now. Dont wait for impacting or abcessing. get a an x ray, prognosis,  diagnosis ASAP. Try to avoid diclofenac which is held in low regard these days as an NSAI and has been superseded by modern NSAIs and anyway there are better pain killers for tooth pain ie codeine.

Yes, take sunnyboy’s advice.

I had similar symptoms few years ago. X-ray at my dentist (in Australia) showed an impacted wisdom tooth had caused the 2nd molar to be infected by pressing against the root of that tooth. Had to wait a week to have the 2nd molar extracted by a dental surgeon. During that time I took doxycycline to keep the infection under control, and it worked so well I didn’t need any painkillers. The impacted wisdom tooth’s still there, just no more 2nd molar.

my wisdom teeth drama was.... 38 years ago.  

I recall that at it's worst, I was only able to open the jaw wide enough to fit a slice of bread through the gap... 

The doctors warned the possibilities of nerve damage from the operation.

when I woke up, I am told all 4 were taken... off work for a week recovering but at least after that, I could resume eating properly  

lock jaw is not a nice feeling!

The yellow tablet that I got from my pharmacy is Anpuzz.  It contains Dicycloverine hydrochloride and Mefenamic Acid.  I don't know if it is what is being referred to.  I find it fairly effective for pain. Another alternative is Voltaren.  I find that taking either one, while effective, leaves me exhausted for a day or two after I stop taking them.  The same thing happens with Tylenol which seems to attack my liver.  My favorite analgesics are aspirin or Tramadol. 

Gargle with warm salt water a few times a day.

The salt apparently draws out the infection according to my dentist.

(I’m currently having an infection of the pocket that some people have behind their wisdom teeth)

also take painkillers obviously. 

55 minutes ago, Nuitum said:

have your wisdom tooth extracted its best way

Sometimes can’t be done. I had a bad infection in the pocket behind a wisdom tooth, common problem, I think. Dentist was going to extract it until he checked the X-ray, said tooth was too close to an important facial nerve, so I’m stuck with it.

Sorry Sheryl.  I have just discovered that Mefenamic Acid IS Ponstan.  It has pretty severe side-effects so I don't take it any more.  Actually, my pharmacy has stopped selling it too.  If I can buffer it sufficiently, aspirin remains the most effective and trouble-free analgesic for me.

Sometimes the pain is caused because the tooth wants to descend but the skin/cartilage is too strong. I have forgotten what it is called, but topical analgesics with benzocaine can be applied to the skin and can greatly help the problem. Sometimes (like me) a Doctor has to make a small incision in the skin and this allows the tooth to descend. After the cut my  wisdom tooth descended about half-way very quickly.  Do not try that yourself - I was going to, but decided to research how and, well, dont (I was much younger).

Archived