Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand gives CP Group October 15 deadline to sign $7 billion rail deal

Recommended Posts

Any company wanting to get into bed in any deal with the SRT must have rocks in their head. They are surely sitting back and watching the circus play out with Hopewell the vindictive Minister for Transport and the brain dead SRT.

They can see first hand what would likely happen to them if they entered into any contract with the SRT. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say CP are sticking their neck out a long way considering all the talk of world doom and gloom. 

But no doubt, their ass is probably covered in the contract in case of such an eventuality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Maybe they took a look at the cost to build the California high speed rail and thought....Hey we are going to be building this for chump change..... 

Very true! Unlike China, we don't have big government to forcibly lay down tracks in people's backyards. Hense the buracracy and associated cost with negotiating land for building the high speed train on. I'm proudly one of the Californias that voted for that train to be build. When finished, you can say "good bye" to car culture in the USA, hopefully. Man, I miss Singapore! That country has their public transportation 'ish together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some substance in this article for once. Land acquisition is both expensive and time consuming , an unknown risk that big companies don't like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that we are all aware that Dhanin, born 1939 from a Chinese family without any assets whatsoever, is worth USD 16.7 billion; his family claims a fortune of USD 36 billion.

In his life of eighty years from zero to USD 36 billion ....... the mind boggles and I wonder how. 

The train could be financed privately - it seems; must have done something wrong as my retirement plan looks somewhat smaller ...... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I hope that we are all aware that Dhanin, born 1939 from a Chinese family without any assets whatsoever, is worth USD 16.7 billion; his family claims a fortune of USD 36 billion.

In his life of eighty years from zero to USD 36 billion ....... the mind boggles and I wonder how. 

The train could be financed privately - it seems; must have done something wrong as my retirement plan looks somewhat smaller ...... 

Plenty of stories like that in China (and overseas chinese) that are in bed with China government. You sell your soul, morale and what not but you get filthy rich. However, there are risks but if you play the game you're ok. Another example is Jack Ma (Alibaba) or from Hong Kong Li Ka Shing. Chinese government is now after South America and Europe. Asia is already basically run by Chinese except Japan and South Korea (even that seems be already leaning to Beijing).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FinChin67 said:

Plenty of stories like that in China (and overseas chinese) that are in bed with China government. You sell your soul, morale and what not but you get filthy rich. However, there are risks but if you play the game you're ok. Another example is Jack Ma (Alibaba) or from Hong Kong Li Ka Shing. Chinese government is now after South America and Europe. Asia is already basically run by Chinese except Japan and South Korea (even that seems be already leaning to Beijing).

 

CP are the official conduit for large Chinese corporations entering Thailand (recent Economist article). Also according to same article they were the first (if I am not mistaken) foreign company to set up a business in China back in the 1970’s.

 

Did you see the Birthday card he gave to the big guy? Card with a Cheque for 100M baht in it....public knowledge and was in the newspapers...tip of the iceberg no doubt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, Classic Ray said:

 

 

The other bid was technically superior, better researched, within the Terms of Reference, and realistically priced for the amount of work necessary.

.

Excellent, I've been wanting to learn about this for a while.  So please fill us in on the details of how it was technically superior, what kind of research they included and why it was better - I'd love to know more from someone on the inside.

Again, TV at its finest.  Award it to the lowest bidder and everyone is up in arms.  Imagine if they'd awarded it to a consortium that was $2b more expensive - the same people would be out hand wringing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 3:28 PM, steve187 said:

is this train link bkk/dmk/utp really required and how busy would it be.

Yes the link is required and should be busy

but certainly not with a too costly high speed project and too costly tickets for the most of the customers.

The railway  already exists on most of the line, it should be better and cheaper to improve it at a good standart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes the link is required and should be busy

but certainly not with a too costly high speed project and too costly tickets for the most of the customers.

The railway  already exists on most of the line, it should be better and cheaper to improve it at a good standart.

single track i would think, defiantly bangkok via pattaya onto the end of the used section at phutalaung 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, fforest1 said:

Maybe they took a look at the cost to build the California high speed rail and thought....Hey we are going to be building this for chump change..... 

Not a good example. California is a broken and nearly failed state. Inflation and the cost of living are out of control, the quality of life is rapidly dropping, congestion and homelessness are rampant and taxes are stunningly high. Everyone I know with money has already left, or is leaving the state. It's glory days are most definitely behind it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steve187 said:

single track i would think, defiantly bangkok via pattaya onto the end of the used section at phutalaung 

You are right

by ''improve''i mean to modernize and double the actual line

and of course extend it to the airports, much more easy and cheaper than a new high speed one.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2019 at 12:17 AM, josephbloggs said:

Excellent, I've been wanting to learn about this for a while.  So please fill us in on the details of how it was technically superior, what kind of research they included and why it was better - I'd love to know more from someone on the inside.

Again, TV at its finest.  Award it to the lowest bidder and everyone is up in arms.  Imagine if they'd awarded it to a consortium that was $2b more expensive - the same people would be out hand wringing.  

Something like this comes to mind again when reading what the Chinese do and don't...

 

Stockholm criticised for awarding “impossible” metro contract to Chinese bidder
www.globalconstructionreview.com/news/stockholm-criticised-awarding-impossible-metro-con/

 

Good luck for Stockholm. The real price will come up after delays start to appear and excuses to get more money to complete the project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...