Damn it Just Poured

Nyezhov

28 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I originally misread it as Phra Khanong. But there's no Pha Kanong or Phan Kanong on the Bangkok map, which Google kindly corrected them to Phra Khanong. So is this what you actually mean? 

How is it pronounced then? ????

Like its spelled

Oh Im sorry, you must speak more educated Thai than me. I say Loi Et or LA, Bulilam, Pha Kanong, Talat Poooo, Tawn Low....I probably speak place names like a rice farmer 

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Like its spelled

Oh Im sorry, you must speak more educated Thai than me. I say Loi Et or LA, Bulilam, Pha Kanong, Talat Poooo, Tawn Low....I probably speak place names like a rice farmer 

Nothing wrong with rice farmers. ????  Anyway, the BTS voice lady does pronounce the "r" in Phra and the station name is spelled Phra on the entrance. If you said "pha kanong" to me, I'd immediately know what you mean. However, English spelling of Thai names does present problems here and there, with many inconsistencies. 

PS I also live in PK on a canal. That storm was a pounder. 

2 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

PS I also live in PK on a canal. That storm was a pounder. 

It saved me some money because there is like 30,000B worth of stuff I want right now and I was gonna go over to Fortune Town and just slam my bank account like a two bit crack ho would.  But it rained, so I fired up the bong and as soon as it stopped I  sloshed over to Soi 48 where that dude about 150 meters in across from the condo entrance grills up Pork Necks and other stuff I have no idea, plus he has those banana packet things filled with some type of bamboo? curry so for 60 baht plus a 30 baht Chao Manao Im ready for an afternoon nap.

42 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Like its spelled

It is spelled พระโขนง, which transliterates to Phra Khanong.

Thus, one would pronounce the "r" sound.

The "a"s are short sound, short duration.

The "o" is long sound, short duration.

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

It saved me some money because there is like 30,000B worth of stuff I want right now and I was gonna go over to Fortune Town and just slam my bank account like a two bit crack ho would.  But it rained, so I fired up the bong and as soon as it stopped I  sloshed over to Soi 48 where that dude about 150 meters in across from the condo entrance grills up Pork Necks and other stuff I have no idea, plus he has those banana packet things filled with some type of bamboo? curry so for 60 baht plus a 30 baht Chao Manao Im ready for an afternoon nap.

After your nap you can mosey up 48 to Madge's bar/The Local for a couple of sun-downers with the boys. 

4 minutes ago, timendres said:

Thus, one would pronounce the "r" sound.

Yeah I always try the BTS pronunciation of places first and then when I get a puzzled look, I switch to my Isaan farm boy imitation.

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

After your nap you can mosey up 48 to Madge's bar/The Local for a couple of sun-downers with the boys. 

I was by that place the other day. Hows the food? The Paradisio on 71 has a killer Pork Lime Salad. There is that place on Pridi 2, the Rover? Been there? I havent made it in cuz my man Eddie has his real USA East Coast Cheeseteak Joint next door....

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah I always try the BTS pronunciation of places first and then when I get a puzzled look, I switch to my Isaan farm boy imitation.

Unfortunately, I am only capable of imitating an old, toothless, hairless Issan farm hand.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

OMG, please don't. A photo of you in a froufrou and sandals might loosen my precarious hold on sanity.

Actually Im thinking of a line of Lingerie for fat dudes. Like a manly cut out bra?

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You have man boobs? You just pushed me over the edge of darkness.

Ah dude, you should see the lower sights to arouse you into a frenzy of madness.

Heres a selfie. I blocked my face out so you dont recognize me.

Lopburi 9-29-19 (19)_LI.jpg

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Like its spelled

Back in 90/91 Im pretty sure there was a royal edict requesting/ reminding Thais to speak correctly and roll their 'R's and not default to the lazy 'L'.  And thats all it is laziness. Same with Brits who say 'Wiv' instead of With. No big deal I guess....until it interferes with clarity of communication as seems to be the cases with the OP referencing a non existent area of Bangkok which caused people genuine confusion... Mai pen Rai!

Archived