Return flight required to stay in Thailand?

Hi all, I'm a British passport holder, currently in Thailand as a volunteer, on the Non-O visa. Right now I'm on a 90 days extension, but will apply for the 12 months extension early in December.

I came to Thailand on a tourist visa at first, in January 2019, with a return ticket. I was planning to go back to the UK in late December for Christmas holidays, but now I'm considering cancelling the flight (it is the return leg), to save the money that otherwise I would have to spend on a new flight back to Thailand in January.

Would it cause any problems if I cancelled my December flight, and just stayed in Thailand with no flights booked? I don't recall ever being asked by anyone to show my return ticket, and I have also heard/read that it is less of an issue with visas that are not a tourist visa.

Another issue is, some time in the future when I want to visit the UK, will it be OK to book a return flight from Thailand to UK and back to Thailand? Because that would mean entering Thailand without having any outward flight booked.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

I'll move your post to the correct forum, this one is for those seeking visas etc to countries other than Thailand.

I don't think you'll encounter any problems cancelling your return flight, who'd know and peoples travel plans change for a miriad of reasons.

Is your return fully flexible so you would get a refund or a non flexible ticket, in which case you just wouldn't use it?

Regarding your future plans, when you are in Thailand on an extention of an O Visa you'll need to get a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand, that would allow you to travel to the UK and return, though sometimes you would need to explain it to check-in staff before you fly back.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JPJordan said:

Another issue is, some time in the future when I want to visit the UK, will it be OK to book a return flight from Thailand to UK and back to Thailand? Because that would mean entering Thailand without having any outward flight booked.

I traveled to Thailand one time from the USA on a one way and encountered no questions.  However, the past two times, I have been asked for where my return trip to the USA was.  I had to show them my retirement visa and though it took a few minutes with a supervisor, both times I was allowed to fly with no return.  I suppose if pushed, you could always book a one way refundable and then just cancel after you arrived in Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If you decide not to make use of your return-flight, do remember to cancel it even if you are not entitled to any refund.

Strange as it may seen, but some airlines actually fine you when you don't show up without having cancelled the flight.

https://www.ladyironchef.com/2016/03/airline-no-show-fee/

The current wisdom is not to cancel... then if the airline makes any schedule changes before you were due to fly, you can decline and be entitled to a refund, or a re-booking to suit yourself. 

Most airlines plans for a few no-shows anyway, and are often glad if a there are a few that don't turn up.

Obviously these comments only apply to a return leg.  If you no-show on an outward leg (e.g. use another carrier) then you also forfeit your return.

I've never heard of anyone actually being charged for a no-show.  You've paid for the ticket - it's up to you what you do with it.  In fact if you don't use your flight, you should be entitled to a refund of the tax paid as part of the ticket, but many airlines won't allow this - or they claim their cost of applying for it exceeds its worth.  I have heard of people who have successfully claimed the tax without going via the airline, but it was a few years ago.

edit... perhaps if your ticket class does entitle you to a refund, you must actually cancel it to get get the refund...  and that it what the charge would be against.  In any case, leave it as late as possible to cancel, just in case the airline makes a change, or indeed if you change your mind... since you can't re-book a cancelled flight without paying again.

Edited by steve73
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I traveled to Thailand one time from the USA on a one way and encountered no questions.  However, the past two times, I have been asked for where my return trip to the USA was.  I had to show them my retirement visa and though it took a few minutes with a supervisor, both times I was allowed to fly with no return.  I suppose if pushed, you could always book a one way refundable and then just cancel after you arrived in Thailand. 

You don't have to have a return flight home as a flight out of the country to a neighboring country will do. Imagine the outcry if every businessman had to return home instead of wherever he was needed next.

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If you decide not to make use of your return-flight, do remember to cancel it even if you are not entitled to any refund.

Strange as it may seen, but some airlines actually fine you when you don't show up without having cancelled the flight.

https://www.ladyironchef.com/2016/03/airline-no-show-fee/

No fine. If you dont show up on your first flight then they will cancel the returning one. But you can cancel the returning one if you used up the artival

15 hours ago, treetops said:

Return tickets originating in Thailand are usually more expensive than those purchased in the UK.  Make sure you factor that into your calculations.  If you're likely to be travelling a lot it may be better to keep the ticket origin as UK.

True, especially Premium Class tickets.