Asking for tips on being environmental on a low budget

Cristiancjb

On 10/6/2019 at 1:27 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Its not true. That is typical thai bashing and thai hating common on this forum. Thais have been at the forefront of eco activities for decades, land and forests conservation,  campaigns against damns and golf courses and other issues. My advice is to look to young Thais. Definitely NOT this forum for obvious reasons.

????????

Screenshot_20191008-210011_Chrome.jpg.4056b99e3ada3f08a2f216faa1fc413f.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahleung/2018/04/21/five-asian-countries-dump-more-plastic-than-anyone-else-combined-how-you-can-help/#1ea9efd21234

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/4/2019 at 11:52 PM, Skallywag said:

BTW driving your car will emit far more "pollution" than that coming from the manufacture of plastic bags you use in a lifetime.  But of course a good start using cloth bags or a backpack. 

So walking and bicycling reduces your carbon footprint obviously, public transportation etc...

Living in an area with breezes in a dwelling that has windows or doors to allow a cross breeze helps immensely on air conditioning energy cost, hence carbon footprint.  

Am sure many tips available on a Google search

Or watch old episodes of Gilligan's Island, they figured out how to live emission free and off the grid :thumbsup:

As we all know the manufacture of plastic bags is not the only polluting component Dispose of them creates a much greater problem for obvious reasons we are all aware of.

Not using plastic bags,especially in a country such as Thailand where sanitation and garbage removal (to be polite) is not as advanced as in the west. 

IS IMO a good first step.

When we bought our property , years ago, The back of the property was full of plastic bags. 

18 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Typical of eco pretenders. Hes having  a kid! Hes got a car! The two  most extreme acts of ecological vandalism. In reality he has no wish to contribute to a better environment.. He just wants to assuage his conscience with pathetic gestures. Is the OP a god botherer?

Do you know me? Because that is the only way you can judge me. And since I don't know you, your judgment  means little to me, specially since you are just a troll. 

I don't do as much as some people but I try to do more than many others, not because I want to clean my conscience, I just simply want to do as much as I can to contribute to do some good for the planet, not only bad things because of course I'm well aware that I'm not 100% environmental, no one is! I don't have a car, my gf has, and I'm having a kid yes, but let's say it was not planned at all...but I'll do what I can to do some good despite the circumstances. I decided to be on the side that at least try to be on the side that tries to help this planet, if you want to be in the one that destroys it, up to you!

20 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Why are you here for one year.  Are evangelicals paying you?

Maybe not even that long, I am here until my gf gives birth and the baby is big enough. Then I'll go back to Sweden and try to get my gf and kid there as soon as I can.

Haha, evangelicals pay who? Who do I need to kill? ????

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

How does that relate to being environmental? There is no link with being vegetarian and the environment apart from trying to fit in with the 'hip' crowd. Vegetables don't need pumped water, don't need to be transported?  Get a good feeling buying organic veggies after driving 30 klms in a fuel guzzling SUV?

Sorry, I've had enough of that BS being rammed down my throat and its time to fight back in my opinion.

Don't mind you fighting back, most people never even consider these things.  they think recycling their cans and bottles and driving a Prius is going to save the planet.

Rachael Carson was one of the first to speak out on the reduced environmental impact of having a vegetarian lifestyle back in 1962.  Silent Spring was her infamous book on environmental impacts.

Yet 1962 was at the beginning of the "Green revolution" when pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides were just beginning to be used extensively.  That changes things IMO

I eat meat, but try to stick with chicken and fish, which are the lowest in energy spent in Thailand AFAIK.

Beef is the most energy consuming meat, cost to grow grain to feed cattle, water, transport, etc...

Plates.gif

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

As we all know the manufacture of plastic bags is not the only polluting component Dispose of them creates a much greater problem for obvious reasons we are all aware of.

Not using plastic bags,especially in a country such as Thailand where sanitation and garbage removal (to be polite) is not as advanced as in the west. 

IS IMO a good first step.

When we bought our property , years ago, The back of the property was full of plastic bags. 

Agree totally. The improper littering instead of proper disposal of plastic bags, straws, anything plastic that gets into the waterways, then the oceans is causing much more damage to flora and fauna than the actual production of the plastics themselves.  

9 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Typical of eco pretenders. Hes having  a kid! Hes got a car! The two  most extreme acts of ecological vandalism. In reality he has no wish to contribute to a better environment.. He just wants to assuage his conscience with pathetic gestures. Is the OP a god botherer?

Indeed. The best any eco warrior can do to save the environment is not reproduce. Unfortunately few are that committed.

Before asking, I didn't reproduce.

One doesn't need lots of money to be ecologically proactive. Don't use car to save a 5 minute walk, take public transport if possible, recycle as much as possible, don't fly domestically- take the train if there is one, don't have a smartphone, or electric car ( batteries are very polluting to make and dispose of ).

In fact, being ecologically proactive saves loads of money.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:52 PM, Skallywag said:

... Living in an area with breezes in a dwelling that has windows or doors to allow a cross breeze helps immensely on air conditioning energy cost, hence carbon footprint. ...

Living in a neighborhood at the end of the electric lines with crappy electric service really saves on power.  When it's hot, we can't use the air conditioning.  My wife registered a complaint and had many neighbors sign it.  Perhaps in a couple more years, they will upgrade the power lines and transformers.  This is about a mile from downtown Amphur Muang Loei.

7 hours ago, Foxy52 said:

Every week I recycle dozens of wine bottles and countless beer cans, while all my neighbours can manage is a couple of jam jars. Come on people! I can't fight global warming alone 

(With thanks to Viz comic)

Basically we cannot fight climate change, it is already a fact and what we should do is not make it much worse and start prepare for the coming changes.

I recommend this article, even though a little long, very interesting and food for thought:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-if-we-stopped-pretending

14 hours ago, Cristiancjb said:

Basically we cannot fight climate change, it is already a fact and what we should do is not make it much worse and start prepare for the coming changes.

Careful there! you will have the climate change terrorists jumping all over you :wink:

Truth hurts :shock1:

1 hour ago, jij said:

". . . start prepare for the coming changes" like the Obama's did?

Don't know what they did but well, unless we want to be completely unprepared, it is good to start to think about how we can prepare ourselves in different ways so that it doesn't comes like a surprise and we say that "we didn't know it was gonna happen"

On 10/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, Skallywag said:

Living in an area with breezes in a dwelling that has windows or doors to allow a cross breeze helps immensely on air conditioning energy cost, hence carbon footprint.  

Ah the "cross breeze" fallacy rears its head! over 40 years in SEA and I have yet to experience this phenomenon! 

When I attempt to enact this dubious action all I succeed in doing is letting polluted air into the house, but when I close the insect screens they stop ~90% of the breeze on the rare days the wind blows, they do trap some of the particulates that are consistently present in the air here though. :omfg:

16 minutes ago, Cristiancjb said:

Don't know what they did but well, unless we want to be completely unprepared, it is good to start to think about how we can prepare ourselves in different ways so that it doesn't comes like a surprise and we say that "we didn't know it was gonna happen"

You could carry on these chaps efforts........

end.png.f42055d5350b8b9e7e9606b38b1a84a4.png

if only a thread like this would become popular like all of the.... my sneaky visa run/denied for no reason topics. 

about 12 or so years ago on a website  thailandfriends or something close to that. i tried to organize a garbage pick up party sort of thing. no one showed up and i ended up walking along a beach in rayong doing it by myself. posted pics online and was made fun of etc by some.

hashtagtrashtag or something ya ?

4 minutes ago, sillyfool said:

if only a thread like this would become popular like all of the.... my sneaky visa run/denied for no reason topics. 

about 12 or so years ago on a website  thailandfriends or something close to that. i tried to organize a garbage pick up party sort of thing. no one showed up and i ended up walking along a beach in rayong doing it by myself. posted pics online and was made fun of etc by some.

hashtagtrashtag or something ya ?

Did the locals not help you.....?

11 minutes ago, transam said:

You could carry on these chaps efforts........

end.png.f42055d5350b8b9e7e9606b38b1a84a4.png

Haha, a little exaggerated there. The end is far from near, I think, but anyone that still denies climate change must be living under a stone. Ignorance might be a bliss sometimes but it's not gonna help anyone else than yourself, so yeah, if you want to be an egoist go ahead.

1 hour ago, Cristiancjb said:

Haha, a little exaggerated there. The end is far from near, I think, but anyone that still denies climate change must be living under a stone. Ignorance might be a bliss sometimes but it's not gonna help anyone else than yourself, so yeah, if you want to be an egoist go ahead.

But what did the dinosaurs do wrong.....?

I believe Earth was once covered in ice too, seems to me Earth just does it's thing. It also seems man has only been doing it's thing on a bigger scale for a couple of hundred years that folk are worried about, before that it was just basic living...

The oil, coal, gas age will end in a similar time scale, during that time man must progress or go back to camp fires, perhaps nuclear fusion will be sorted before that....  ????

1 hour ago, Cristiancjb said:

No one is denying that climate changes as it always has and always will. They stopped calling it global warming when the globe didn't get hotter, but they should have thought of some other term to describe man made climate change.

Anyway, so what? Nothing is going to happen as the politicians don't believe it no matter what they say. None of them have stopped flying, and none ride a horse to work.

6 minutes ago, transam said:

But what did the dinosaurs do wrong.....?

I believe Earth was once covered in ice too, seems to me Earth just does it's thing. It also seems man has only been doing it's thing on a bigger scale for a couple of hundred years that folk are worried about, before that it was just basic living...

The oil, coal, gas age will end in a similar time scale, during that time man must progress or go back to camp fires, perhaps nuclear fusion will be sorted before that....  ????

It's ironic, but the people that will probably survive are the "nutters" that live in self sufficient communities and have lots of guns to kill the city dwellers looking to steal their food after it all goes bad.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's ironic, but the people that will probably survive are the "nutters" that live in self sufficient communities and have lots of guns to kill the city dwellers looking to steal their food after it all goes bad.

For sure, the ones with the cash, after all, our planet and the humans on it are only interested in cash, the way we live revolves around cash.

The basics revolve around cash, a roof over our head and health care, both are now about making money out of both...Sad really....

1 minute ago, transam said:

For sure, the ones with the cash, after all, our planet and the humans on it are only interested in cash, the way we live revolves around cash.

The basics revolve around cash, a roof over our head and health care, both are now about making money out of both...Sad really....

Actually no. The ones with lots of cash will starve like all the rest- can't eat money, which will be worthless when it really hits the fan.

My life has prepared me to survive, but sadly I'm too old to do so now, so I'll be starving too.

For a group that will survive, look no further than the Mormons. Their faith requires them to store a year's worth of food, water etc. However, they will only survive if they have sufficient weapons to drive away the marauders, and if they have the will to use them.

Think it can't happen? Think about what would happen if trucks couldn't bring food into a big city like London or NY. No one grows food in the city anymore, and how many days supply are in supermarkets? If the stoppage happened for a month or more= no food for love nor money.

Archived