Sisaket-Khukan Foreigners.

Huckenfell

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

I moved to Thailand over 20 years ago. I have been happily married for 17 years and we moved up to my wife's village here in the Amphur of Khukhan 11 years ago. So I can claim a reasonable knowledge of the area, given I live in a small subsistence farming village. 

There are a good few westerners living around the province that speak English. Understand that because of the remote nature we are spread out and you need to travel to meet up. There are many opportunities to meet like minded people and most I have met and now consider friends, are just normal guys enjoying living here. 

To me, enjoying living in places like this is entirely up to me. They are small, close knit communities that are very traditionally Buddhist and animism governs the culture. You will not change that and unless you adopt or at least understand how to live in that environment, I doubt you will be happy to stay home most days. 

Khukhan is not like big city Bangkok or tourist resorts like Pattaya, it is a small rural town. 

Yes mate, i hope to meet up with you some time in the future. I have lived 2 years in Kanchanaburi and 12 years on Koh Samui. I have been to Khukan twice for 1 month at a time, so have got a good idea of life in Isaan unlike so many of the Pattaya Cowboys who actually know everything even after only 12 months  lololol. So Hoo Roo for now.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes mate, i hope to meet up with you some time in the future. I have lived 2 years in Kanchanaburi and 12 years on Koh Samui. I have been to Khukan twice for 1 month at a time, so have got a good idea of life in Isaan unlike so many of the Pattaya Cowboys who actually know everything even after only 12 months  lololol. So Hoo Roo for now.

Been to Pattaya just once (2nd time doesn’t count as you were just passing through) and you conclude that it’s nothing but a big brothel zone. Been to Isaan twice (2 months in total) and you think you know all about living in Isaan.
Wow, just wow.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Been to Pattaya just once (2nd time doesn’t count as you were just passing through) and you conclude that it’s nothing but a big brothel zone. Been to Isaan twice (2 months in total) and you think you know all about living in Isaan.
Wow, just wow.

Who said that i think i know all about living in Isaan, NOT ME.  however i do have mates who have lived there for years and are quite happy, they are not keen on the "Brothel Zone" either, there is nothing in Pattaya that would interest me.

11 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Who said that i think i know all about living in Isaan, NOT ME.  however i do have mates who have lived there for years and are quite happy, they are not keen on the "Brothel Zone" either, there is nothing in Pattaya that would interest me.

I used to think like that about Indian food.

Then I tried it a few more times (not every week) and got to like it.

Now I like it hot.

Pretty much everything that I could possibly find in Sisaket Khukan, I will be able to have in Pattaya. The converse is not so. Do you occasionally enjoy a good variety of western food or Asian food? You would be hard pressed to have a lot of choices in Isaan. It is definitely a big compromise to live in Isaan compared to other more developed areas such as Pattaya.
For your information, I don’t and have never lived in Pattaya though I do visit often. I live in CM, previously in BKK.

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Pretty much everything that I could possibly find in Sisaket Khukan, I will be able to have in Pattaya. The converse is not so. Do you occasionally enjoy a good variety of western food or Asian food? You would be hard pressed to have a lot of choices in Isaan. It is definitely a big compromise to live in Isaan compared to other more developed areas such as Pattaya.
For your information, I don’t and have never lived in Pattaya though I do visit often. I live in CM, previously in BKK.

Western Food is in abundance in Issan. You appear to be making an assumption based on little, or no, knowledge.

7 hours ago, puchooay said:

Western Food is in abundance in Issan. You appear to be making an assumption based on little, or no, knowledge.

As i said from the very beginning, but no one seems to remember, at 84 years of age all i am wanting is a quiet life with some care and attention. Too many here think that it is all about women and having an exciting time regardless of what it costs them, so i am not in the least interested in listening to or conversing with them, they are a world away from me so i cannot imagine why they want to convince me otherwise, they are just wasting their time. They are all thinking that they are doing or living something new, something which i experienced when most of them were still in 'nappies'  just too many 14 day millionaires with brains in their balls, i see them all the time here on Samui.

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

As i said from the very beginning, but no one seems to remember, at 84 years of age all i am wanting is a quiet life with some care and attention. Too many here think that it is all about women and having an exciting time regardless of what it costs them, so i am not in the least interested in listening to or conversing with them, they are a world away from me so i cannot imagine why they want to convince me otherwise, they are just wasting their time. They are all thinking that they are doing or living something new, something which i experienced when most of them were still in 'nappies'  just too many 14 day millionaires with brains in their balls, i see them all the time here on Samui.

I think you need to work out who to quote when you defend yourself. My comment was in relation to a comment made by another member, not you. Please try to follow who is saying what so that your posts make sense in relation to the one you are quoting.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, puchooay said:

It is my understanding you are not a native English speaker.

This comment is not racist and should not be deemed as such.

It is a good idea not to question a native English speaker's knowledge when you, yourself, are not a native speaker. You may end up looking foolish.

Is it a good idea not to question a native speaker's knowledge?

You can't be serious. 

I'm not in the mood to waste my time; otherwise, I'd explain that to you.

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

I think you need to work out who to quote when you defend yourself. My comment was in relation to a comment made by another member, not you. Please try to follow who is saying what so that your posts make sense in relation to the one you are quoting.

WEll if you can work out that it does not concern you then all you have to do is ignore it.  Surely you can tell if i am referring to you or not. So please excuse me and my apoligies if you feel insulted in any way, it is not what i intend. I just do not feel comfortable when a 30-40 yr old thinks that i have to behave or feel like them or in fact have the same immature desires.

I am making the assumption based on my personal observation and experience. I would love to stand corrected though, if you would be kind enough to direct me to the following:
- 2 french restaurants
- 2 Italian restaurants
- 1 German restaurant
- 1 Mediterranean restaurant
- 2 Japanese restaurants
- 2 Indian restaurants
- 1 Korean restaurant
- 2 international buffet (with oysters, Alaskan king crab etc)
ideally within 20 kms of a major Isaan town such as Yasothon or Sisaket

Much obliged.

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Is it a good idea not to question a native speaker's knowledge?

You can't be serious. 

I'm not in the mood to waste my time; otherwise, I'd explain that to you.

No need to explain. Your clear misunderstanding, as highlighted in your replies, speak volumes.

42 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I am making the assumption based on my personal observation and experience. I would love to stand corrected though, if you would be kind enough to direct me to the following:
- 2 french restaurants
- 2 Italian restaurants
- 1 German restaurant
- 1 Mediterranean restaurant
- 2 Japanese restaurants
- 2 Indian restaurants
- 1 Korean restaurant
- 2 international buffet (with oysters, Alaskan king crab etc)
ideally within 20 kms of a major Isaan town such as Yasothon or Sisaket

Much obliged.

Not forgetting, of course, Thai and Laos. Anyway, referring to your list. French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Indian, German and British fare all available. Also Mexican and Scandinavian. 

Give me 50kms and I could tick the box of most of those. At 20kms half, albeit in the singular on the majority. Not forgetting, of course, Thai, Laos and British.

100 km round trip 4-5 times a week just for dinner? Rather defeats the concept of retiring comfortably doesn’t it? I live about 15 km from Central CM and hardly bother to drive into CM for my dinners, having plenty of the options I mentioned above within 10km of where I live.

It was mainly for this reason (and the weather) that I decided on CM vs Isaan when I relocated from BKK 2 years ago.

Mind you, I’m not knocking Isaan at all. I still have a house there which I visit occasionally (2-3 times a year). All I’m saying is that the options are a lot more limited compared to Pattaya/CM for the non-sexpat

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

100 km round trip 4-5 times a week just for dinner? Rather defeats the concept of retiring comfortably doesn’t it? I live about 15 km from Central CM and hardly bother to drive into CM for my dinners, having plenty of the options I mentioned above within 10km of where I live.
It was mainly for this reason (and the weather) that I decided on CM vs Isaan when I relocated from BKK 2 years ago.

Actually I re thought my post and that brings things down to similar distance to yourself. Your post is now a mis quote. Never mind. Anyway, I would not want to nor do I need to travel far at all 4 to 5 times a week for good food. As an example, Indian food here in Thailand, or anywhere else outside of the Sub Continent, is not going to be a patch on true Indian food. I would much rather create the more authentic taste that I prefer at home.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:04 AM, Huckenfell said:

OMG!  not an Arsenal supporter.   But why should i bother to look at a trolls avatar, it could be anything,  Why are you afraid of bumping into me ?

Huckenfell, I withdraw the hope I don't bump into you comment. I think we got off on the wrong foot.

You posted: "I have no desire to live in a big brothel zone" in response to someone who was promoting Pattaya as a place to live

Happy Grumpy posted in response to you " So you're moving to Isahn? "

I commented "Racist ... but amusing nonetheless!" - in response to Happy Grumpy. My assumption was that his comment was to cast Isaan as a big brothel zone, so I was accusing him of a racial slur, though I found his quick-fire response to be quite witty, if one set aside the stereotyping.

I think you may have thought I was commenting on you and accusing you of being racist and amusing, which I was not - my remark was addressed to Mr Grumpy. That's why I could not understand why you posted " I guess you have never been to Isaan. So please mind your own business." I thought that to be rude and unnecessary, which is why I hoped not to bump into you.

For the avoidance of doubt I will have no problem bumping into you if we can start with a clean sheet and take each other as we find. Life's too short!! If you need an introduction to things Kantharalak I'll be happy to meet up and provide a tour.

[First time I've been accused of being a troll on ThaiV or anywhere]

This topic brings a smile to my face as do many that seem to get off topic as soon as they start. We were asked if there are other expats living in the chosen area where one of us, the OP, is planning to live. I put my hand up, yep, I have lived here quite happily for years and know of quite a few similar people in the area. 

Yet we seem to have turned this into a competition of which location is best? Which has the best food, entertainment etc... Why?

Are there any other TV members who live around here who would like to announce themselves? So far the list is pretty short!

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

Actually I re thought my post and that brings things down to similar distance to yourself. Your post is now a mis quote. Never mind. Anyway, I would not want to nor do I need to travel far at all 4 to 5 times a week for good food. As an example, Indian food here in Thailand, or anywhere else outside of the Sub Continent, is not going to be a patch on true Indian food. I would much rather create the more authentic taste that I prefer at home.

From what i see on Samui, all the Indian restaurants are run by Nepalese.

3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Huckenfell, I withdraw the hope I don't bump into you comment. I think we got off on the wrong foot.

You posted: "I have no desire to live in a big brothel zone" in response to someone who was promoting Pattaya as a place to live

Happy Grumpy posted in response to you " So you're moving to Isahn? "

I commented "Racist ... but amusing nonetheless!" - in response to Happy Grumpy. My assumption was that his comment was to cast Isaan as a big brothel zone, so I was accusing him of a racial slur, though I found his quick-fire response to be quite witty, if one set aside the stereotyping.

I think you may have thought I was commenting on you and accusing you of being racist and amusing, which I was not - my remark was addressed to Mr Grumpy. That's why I could not understand why you posted " I guess you have never been to Isaan. So please mind your own business." I thought that to be rude and unnecessary, which is why I hoped not to bump into you.

For the avoidance of doubt I will have no problem bumping into you if we can start with a clean sheet and take each other as we find. Life's too short!! If you need an introduction to things Kantharalak I'll be happy to meet up and provide a tour.

[First time I've been accused of being a troll on ThaiV or anywhere]

Thanks mate, here's hoping we catch for a beer sometime. Sorry to offend you but i initially asked a simple decent question and suddenly became victim of all sorts of sarcastic replies, it was completely uncalled for by some replies, although not all. So once again thanks.

30 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

This topic brings a smile to my face as do many that seem to get off topic as soon as they start. We were asked if there are other expats living in the chosen area where one of us, the OP, is planning to live. I put my hand up, yep, I have lived here quite happily for years and know of quite a few similar people in the area. 

Yet we seem to have turned this into a competition of which location is best? Which has the best food, entertainment etc... Why?

Are there any other TV members who live around here who would like to announce themselves? So far the list is pretty short!

Have to have an Aussie BBQ one day !

17 hours ago, puchooay said:

But in CM they have that awful Burning season.  I was talking with a couple who had cut short their holiday in CM because of it and flew down to Samui, From what they told me it was rather nasty.

But in CM they have that awful Burning season.  I was talking with a couple who had cut short their holiday in CM because of it and flew down to Samui, From what they told me it was rather nasty.

Yes, it was bad this year, apparently the worst on record. It wasn’t just CM, it was pretty much the whole of Northern Thailand. If it’s that bad again this year, I will move somewhere else for those few months.
On the other hand, I find the weather in Isaan unbearable for most of the year (too hot and humid). Guess one can’t have it all

On 10/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, Huckenfell said:

Yet another "Know it all" who thinks that everybody should think in his negative way.

I think with the username  Max69XL should give you a clue with what you are dealing with. A complete c@@k head. I'd hate to tell them I live in an even smaller place close to Sisaket called Sangkha. Only  half a six pack drive...easy. The veins in their foreheads would pop. Yeah I'm an Aussie too mate. F em.

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I think with the username  Max69XL should give you a clue with what you are dealing with. A complete c@@k head. I'd hate to tell them I live in an even smaller place close to Sisaket called Sangkha. Only  half a six pack drive...easy. The veins in their foreheads would pop. Yeah I'm an Aussie too mate. F em.

Looks like another Pattaya 14 day millionaire.

Archived