BANGKOK
bbi1

Sin Sod - who here got married without paying and what makes it not apply?

Did you pay sin sod when marrying?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 years ago, I paid for our wedding party, but no sin sod. 

• Like 2

No.

The father wanted 5.000 euro - 555 yes euro, very modern man.

I just laughed it away, the family never asked again.

We got married in Bangrak, no family involved, I paid about 10.000 baht in a restaurant in BKK (mainly friends), and another 10.000 baht for a simple monk wedding in the village. Most of that money was used to "make merit" with the monks, something I still regret.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

No alimony is when you get divorced not when you get married

No, thats when the checkbin gets filled out. Start saving for it as soon as you say I do.

• Haha 2

Paid a substantial sin sod.

To my surprise, a couple weeks after the wedding, it was all given to us as a wedding gift. 

12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

A dowry system, right or wrong has NOTHING to do with cattle or buying people. Traditionally its viewed as security for the wife against death or seperation of the husband. 

Oh really? The number of abandoned wives and hence fatherless children would suggest it's a tradition that doesn't work too well.

And I am not talking abstractedly at all. It's a very real and serious problem in this country.

Perhaps this 'sin money' could be put to better use supporting the new family instead of 'buying' papa a new car!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I paid 50K but it was optional. I wasn't even asked for it. I brought up the subject myself. My wife was university educated, no child and 26 years old. I would say the family is low middle class. 

Edited by Tayaout

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

41 years ago, I paid for our wedding party, but no sin sod. 

Hah! We never even bothered with a wedding party.

(Snip)

No sin sod, topic never came up although she bitched about it later

No payment of any money on divorce.

• Haha 1

How good are your negotiating skills!

We got married when we were both living in England which was her idea over doing it in Thailand. I didn't pay anything and it was never mentioned. I always perceived it as an outdated ritual that is better left to the Thais for their showing off. If her family ever asked for it, I would have said in Western culture the bride's family pays for the wedding ceremony (which she knew already).

Not sure whether or not it made a difference, but we were 29 and 28 when we got married a few years ago so it was different to a lot of relationships here. She is very westernised (been to university in England) and didn't seem to care about the idea of showing off a sinsod. I am not sure whether or not her family and her had more private conversations about me not paying it, but I don't care. 

Perhaps I did pay a form of sinsod as during our time living in England for a few years I was teaching and she was studying her Masters degree and only working part time so I was paying for the majority of our expenses (bills, transport, holidays etc). 

Edited by BobbyL
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Similar(ish) to Denim's above.

After 8 years living together we decided it would make visa applications easier if we formalized our happy relationship.  She had never been married, no kids and has a good (but low paying) job. 

She entered some complex negotiations with her Mother that made the Brexit issue look simple - and I bought some gold and emptied the cash machine adjacent to the hotel where we had the ceremony.

We got dressed up like Aladdin and Jasmine, put gold and cash on a fancy plate, knelt until my legs went dead, had a great party with her large extended family, sang karaoke, drank enough to make our ancestors proud, then after breakfast next day I got all the gold back except for a personal gift for her Mother, plus all the cash.

I was prepared to give some Sin Sod, but was not an active member of the negotiating team, and was surprised and slightly embarrassed that I got almost everything back. 

I'd paid for the party and hotel bookings plus vans and an impressive amount of Chang Beer, but I think the right woman will protect your (joint) assets.

I just got married recently and had a similar experience. Mom was given an envelope with money in it and it was given back to me after the ceremony had concluded, just as I was promised.

• Like 1