Chiang Mai - holiday golf

Jip99

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 6:23 PM, Jip99 said:

Thanks for the replies. My friends have no knowledge of courses around ChIang Mai so I was hoping to get a couple of recommendations.

We normally go every year in October, unfortunately this year is out due to rotator cuff operation.

You are more lazy than the locals!!!!, look back to my post on October 13 of 2017...Also a post a couple months earlier

Enjoy, About eight pages back.

Also if you search I have written about a few golfing trips we have had around Thailand

Edited by JAS21

Depends on their budget. Hang Dong and Gymkhana are the cheapest, 9 hole courses. Chiang Mai Highland and Alpine are probably the pick of the bunch.

Only 9 holes, but Haripunchai in Lamphun is as good as any in terms of condition of fairways, greens and bunkers. Very difficult to find.Haripunchai.odt

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Depends on their budget. Hang Dong and Gymkhana are the cheapest, 9 hole courses. Chiang Mai Highland and Alpine are probably the pick of the bunch.

Only 9 holes, but Haripunchai in Lamphun is as good as any in terms of condition of fairways, greens and bunkers. Very difficult to find.Haripunchai.odt

Haripunchai, You didn’t mention the fact that there is water on almost every hole and probably not much fun for the average golfer unless he has an unlimited supply of few balls????

Edited by JAS21

First place I would take them is a morning at Star Dome Golf Club to check out the driving range and hit a few hundred balls... You can chat with the owners of a few shops to rent clubs for a week or so... (I don’t recommend the course at Stardome as it is small and crowded) Then you can hit a number of courses with a consistent set of clubs... 

As stated before Gymkhana and Hang Dong (canal rd) are both nice 9 hole courses... You can also check out Northhill and  Doi Inthanon

For a visitor I would at a minimum take them to Gymkhana for a morning on the driving range and lunch under the huge tree - the place is a historical landmark... (they are lacking not really having a pro shop to rent clubs but may lend you a driver to check out the  driving range)...

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Haripunchai, You didn’t mention the fact that there is water on almost every hole and probably not much fun for the average golfer unless he has an unlimited supply of few balls????

Quite correct, it is a testing course for anyone who doesn't have a single figure handicap. Which is about 95% of golfers. Mid-range in terms of cost, condition as good as Santiburi.

If an easy course is wanted, the OP's friends should play San Sai. Fairly dull, but.

• 2 weeks later...

Lanna is the place to go.  Big driving range, probably clubs for hire at golf shops, certainly hire clubs offered at Green Fee desk, three 9 hole layouts, and generally not crowded in afternoon. Can take the bus up the highway only 3km from town.

For hackers, the very best.