Where can I find Mayalap?

cheeryble

some years ago I bought some "bunches" of what I'm told is called Mayalap.

I'd seen a couple of hill tribe type ladies stripping the thin smooth bark off......leaving a pale, bleached looking finish.......and bought some, cheap as chips.

I like it very much for decoration and it seems to last v well.

I prefer it to the heavier bleached stuff one can buy in Ban Tawai.

IMG_7510.thumb.JPG.6e1c2a679aba582e0d8b4493e996b0ad.JPG&key=772f25d5b29d82d5489f470805cd25bcb46a304f6fdd9632c8171e63bbcdaf7c

IMG_8473.JPG

I bought a load 8 yrs ago from the small artificial Plant area superhighway past Tesco, just past chang puak where Nim transport is.

Told me they were imported from Germany and quite expensive for twigs.

But still perfect all these years later, even twigs are German engineered, 

Aren't those the twigs that the hill tribe ladies sell every day at Kad Luang? They sit out by the end closest to the postal museum.

Wow sounds hopeful
Kad Luang is .warorot right?
I gotta go there tomorrow.
Postal museum I don’t know.
Google map/ streetview would be much appreciated
In fact if the ladies are there every day they might be on the streetview :)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I bought a load 8 yrs ago from the small artificial Plant area superhighway past Tesco, just past chang puak where Nim transport is.

Artificial plant area sounds good.
Presumably heading west?s
Past Changpuak rd?
Nim better look up

Imported from Germany? Haha vorsprung durch technik

On 10/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, cheeryble said:

Wow sounds hopeful
Kad Luang is .warorot right?
I gotta go there tomorrow.
Postal museum I don’t know.
Google map/ streetview would be much appreciated
In fact if the ladies are there every day they might be on the streetview ????

Yes it is.

The Postal Museum is at the end of the market, almost across from the Mae Ping Post Office. The hill tribe ladies sit out on the curb near the temple and the very last shop (across from the river side of the road). Coincidentally, that last shop which also sells flower vases, etc. also sell the twigs.

If you reach the postal museum you have gone about 70? meters too far.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@18.7898008,99.0023189,3a,75y,233.02h,97.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbGrom4VudIMGy1eFS-AlzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edit: my wife thinks they sit out by the beverage seller 15? meters closer to the postal museum.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:05 PM, eyecatcher said:

so they are the BMW of twigs?? or mercedes??

Are these supposed to be special kind of plants? Can I just go to the wooded area cut some young branches bring them home and skin them then dry them in the sun. Would that be the same?

If no, why?  If I could do that may be my missus could make some side income and also sell couple of ceramic vases as well. Good thinking no?

Actually Thailand is a land of opportunities, just that those top people are " dogs in the manger." They wouldn't let you make money unless they have a share in it.

If Farangs are allowed to do certain small business the Thais themselves would also benefit because Farangs will employ locals to do some work and pay them.

Is like the Jews in Spain during the early century the Spanish were so jealous of the jews success in business that they expelled them from Spain, as a result those jews went to Holland, France , Germany and these countries became prosperous. Spain became very poor until today.

Burma is another example, they expelled the Indians after independence, all the business big and small were done by Indians. The British in Burma during colonial times remarked that everything was done by Indian, from laundry to tinsmith. After the Indian left the economy of Burma collapsed.. When UNESCO education gave money to schools because pupils didn't have proper pens ,papers, tables in Schools what the military government did was they keep all the money for themselves and gave back US$1. 25 cents to each pupils. So pupils were still writing with pencils for a long time.

Today may be the situation has improved tremendously with Ang Sung Su Ki  I am not sure.

So don't expect much from a military government be it Thai or Burmese .

On October 6, 2019 at 6:41 PM, eyecatcher said:

My mistake, yes its  before you reach the Tesco not too far past Suksawad ply.

Those sticks look like willow, or even the rampant orchid tree.

Screenshot_20191006_183458.jpg

TRIED NIM SEE SENG YESTERDAY......NOT GOT MOSTLY FUNERAL STUFF

Archived