Pension check and Bangkok bank

equal

Bangkok Bank New York has for months been advising they will no longer accept normal payments made by ACH (normal bank to bank transfers in USA) unless in International format (which US banks do not use for personal accounts).  So if your pension can not send SWIFT international directly to Thailand the best alternative appears to be deposit to a US account and then use Transferwise to forward to your Thai account.  No longer using New York office.

Many US Government deposits are made in the International format now so New York can accept them.

There is alot of mis information about this posted. US gov checks, provided they were given correct format to go through International format ie name address ...still continue without issue. As far as how to get a non gov check to go through them....what is the origin is it from USA? Were you told why it was rejected? If format was wrong, originator has to change it.

Take a look at your pension providers website.  There is probably a form you can download for direct deposit of your pension check. 

Ours very clearly states that they will only deposit in a U.S. bank and asks for the routing number of the bank and the account number.  No way our pension provider is going to use the format that Bangkok Bank now requires, so we've switched our pension checks to being deposited to a U.S. financial institution and using Transferwise.  

It appears this effects some banks and not others. I have not experienced any issues with my US SS deposits being made to my Thai account via the NY branch of Bangkok Bank. My other pensions deposit into a US account and I ACH those funds to Thailand via Bank of Bangkok NY. I have not had any problem transferring funds this way. Perhaps BoA automatically changes format on ACH's to Bangkok Bank as I have not changed anything or had any interaction with the bank of this topic. 

1 hour ago, NaamGin said:

It appears this effects some banks and not others. I have not experienced any issues with my US SS deposits being made to my Thai account via the NY branch of Bangkok Bank. My other pensions deposit into a US account and I ACH those funds to Thailand via Bank of Bangkok NY. I have not had any problem transferring funds this way. Perhaps BoA automatically changes format on ACH's to Bangkok Bank as I have not changed anything or had any interaction with the bank of this topic. 

If you have foreign address most likely SS is in international ACH format.  As Bangkok Bank NY is only rejecting a small number so far, but will not allow any new ACH to be set up, it appears you have been lucky thus far - but in near future it is likely that all will be rejected if not in international format unless they receive another extension to deadline.    

On 10/6/2019 at 1:58 PM, lopburi3 said:

If you have foreign address most likely SS is in international ACH format.  As Bangkok Bank NY is only rejecting a small number so far, but will not allow any new ACH to be set up, it appears you have been lucky thus far - but in near future it is likely that all will be rejected if not in international format unless they receive another extension to deadline.    

I believe that the international format is just an automatic. My account is Uncle Sam depositing, you still use the bangkok bank route number, the format has to do with your deposit from USA showing the right format, it does, providing name and address. Incidentally, I did this online, and the written form was never even sent by bkk. They said as I did that online...that was all they need. The formatting is what the source provides. In my case US government.

The Bangkok Bank NY is a US routing number so processed the same as any other domestic deposit - government must know you are located outside USA to get into the international format and not all can even do yet.  SS can and do for most with a foreign mailing address, but many with SS payments have used a US address and they may not be in international format so they have had to contact SS to get it done. 

Archived