Do Thai's think we are as dumb as we think they are?

Grumpy John

OK, it's not about all Thai's but....dare I say a lot of Thai's.  I started thinking about it after something happened that may have been intended as a joke.  I have rain guages at my wife's orchards and at our house.  Over in Phetchabun the furthest from the house, I went Tuesday to check as I do each day and lo and behold there is 20mm in the glass.   But it hadn't rained overnight.....well not in the village.  On closer inspection I  see the water is greenish....not clear.  The same colour green as the water in the barrel that collects water from the sala roof a few metres away.  So I came to the conclusion one of the corn huskers (???) working just over the hill had been over for a visit.  The bottom line is, did some Thai think I  was so stupid I would fall for it? I may not be a member of the Einstein family but I am not dumb enough to fall for that. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run a live wire into the base of said glass. When this Thai pours water in again, then ....... BOOM! he'she is dead and can no longer mess with your guage ????       OR

Just ignore it, they are messin with you and havin a little bit of fun at your expense ( they think)  RElax - Chill - Have yourself a nice cold beer ...... and breathe. It's all good. ????

You live in Thailand.

Can you read thai? If no you are illiterate.

Can you understand Thai? If no you are deaf? 

Can you speak Thai? If no you are a mute person. 

Can you write thai?

An illiterate, mute, deaf person will have problems in Thailand. Your knowledge will be very small. 

Same if a Thai go to live England and lazy to learn how to read signs, speak to people, listen to the news.

Everyone will think he the idiot.

How can he live?

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

You live in Thailand.

Can you read thai? If no you are illiterate.

Can you understand Thai? If no you are deaf? 

Can you speak Thai? If no you are a mute person. 

Can you write thai?

An illiterate, mute, deaf person will have problems in Thailand. Your knowledge will be very small. 

Same if a Thai go to live England and lazy to learn how to read signs, speak to people, listen to the news.

Everyone will think he the idiot.

How can he live?

Can't argue with anything you say Yinn (and I plead guilty to all charges), but the OP was talking about people trying to fool him by interfering with his rain guages - and thinking he was stupid enough not to notice.

Damn!  I thought I would stir up far more controversy than I have.  I will have to give far more thought to my next potentially controversial post......but not now.  It's way to early in the morning and I have only taken my first sip of expresso coffee.   Hmmm!

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

Your knowledge will be very small. 

Being 19 years here I acquired a lot of experiences. 

Nevertheless there are many things I still don't understand why/the way how, things are done here. 

I consider it as stupid. 

My wife since 19 years, is a good Thai person, she tell me not to worry about it, as she understand my opinion. 

She says : " Despite being 19 years together, many times I  not understand why/the way how you do things here, I consider it as stupid". 

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Can't argue with anything you say Yinn (and I plead guilty to all charges), but the OP was talking about people trying to fool him by interfering with his rain guages - and thinking he was stupid enough not to notice.

I answer the part “dumb as we think they are”. 

My answer. I think he more dumb. 

Yinn same the genius.

50 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yinn same the genius.

Hi Yinn, can you explain the different types of what is apparently a curry that is steamed in a Bambboo packet. The one I have been eating out of the Burmese market is like pork, coconut and bamboo shoots, very spicy and totally nomnom. What is it called.

Im pretty dumb when it comes to basic stuff like that. In exchange, I can teach you unique USA knowledge that you would never know like how to time Ma Duece, how to take corners at 200kph in a 911 Turbo, how to clearly express that your accountant is an *ss*ol* at tax time, how to use a gas station coffee urn, how to fire up a snowblower, how to gut a moose, what to say to a cop on a traffic stop when you have a Glock in the glove box, how to order real Taco Bell, how to barbeque a steak correctly, what the best hot dogs are (Sabrett, Sahlens, Hebrews) and how to cook each one and how to use a toilet if there is no attendant to collect 3 baht (10 in the Raumchitt)..hint...there arent pay toilets in 99% of the USA.

23 hours ago, thequietman said:

Run a live wire into the base of said glass. When this Thai pours water in again, then ....... BOOM! he'she is dead and can no longer mess with your guage ????       OR

Just ignore it, they are messin with you and havin a little bit of fun at your expense ( they think)  RElax - Chill - Have yourself a nice cold beer ...... and breathe. It's all good. ????

Indeed so, I would also add that he needs to be doing more in life than checking rain gauges on a daily basis. They probably think that he's the dumb one for doing that. 

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Hi Yinn, can you explain the different types of what is apparently a curry that is steamed in a Bambboo packet. The one I have been eating out of the Burmese market is like pork, coconut and bamboo shoots, very spicy and totally nomnom. What is it called.

Sound good. But have many different one. What the name?

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Im pretty dumb when it comes to basic stuff like that. In exchange, I can teach you unique USA knowledge that you would never know like how to time Ma Duece, how to take corners at 200kph in a 911 Turbo, how to clearly express that your accountant is an *ss*ol* at tax time, how to use a gas station coffee urn, how to fire up a snowblower, how to gut a moose, what to say to a cop on a traffic stop when you have a Glock in the glove box, how to order real Taco Bell, how to barbeque a steak correctly, what the best hot dogs are (Sabrett, Sahlens, Hebrews) and how to cook each one and how to use a toilet if there is no attendant to collect 3 baht (10 in the Raumchitt)..hint...there arent pay toilets in 99% of the USA.

How do you think the water come in the OP? What happened?

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

I wish I knew. I guess I need to take a pic. I bet there are local variations.

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I dont care. I didnt even read the OP. I just thought the title was good for discussion. ????

Especially because I look and act fat, dumb and helpless, thereby bringing out the mothering instinct in vast numbers of market Aunties, Grandmothers and even a few pretty nice looking ones, who, Im sure say, "poor falang, he is so dumb he doesnt even know what *insert name of food here* is, I hope he likes it, he is so cute and helpless I gave him extra".

Yeah dude. I can only pull it once and after that its regular price, regular portions and Im obligated to buy. Thats how they lure dumb farangs like me in. Give him a free sample of something really F'in tasty and then look piteously at him until he buys. No wonder Im a disgusting fat body. Pass by the Auntie that gave you extra last week and she lays a curse on you, but usually its "Helloooooooooooo, how you, you like my *insert some disgustingly delicious food*, you want?" Smiling and holding out a packet of something. Oh, OK, ya got me.

You better be ready to walk the walk if you talk the talk. My favourite..."Thai spicy OK?". OK. Now, with that response, in her head she is saying, yeah, you dumbas*  farang, you say Thai spicy OK? OK, let me show you how we do it in Issan, I"ll make you scream you silly B*tch", then she lays a plate in front of you where the steam makes your eyes burn, now you are screwed falang, better not scream and clutch your throat with your Gogogf watching, damn what an idiot I am, why did I say OK........

Lucky for me after all these years, you cant burn me out Auntie. Lay those peppers in there. After I had my attempted widowmaker last year, my usual Auntie cook told me that I needed to eat more peppers and she hasnt quit since. Good for you! Good for *pokes me in chest*. Good! You eat! Am I as dumb as she thinks I am? ????

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

what the best hot dogs are (Sabrett, Sahlens, Hebrews)

They totally need to get some Hebrew National hotdogs here instead of the mystery meat I see everywhere.  Thais don’t know what they’re missing.

Can’t Jingthing rally the Jewish community and make it happen?

56 minutes ago, Airalee said:

They totally need to get some Hebrew National hotdogs here instead of the mystery meat I see everywhere.  Thais don’t know what they’re missing.

Can’t Jingthing rally the Jewish community and make it happen?

You can get Kosher at the restaurant at Chabad House in Khao San. I never checked to see what hot dogs they had if any....but...it looks like I gots to go find out.....

On 10/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, Yinn said:

You live in Thailand

Thai government say all foreigners are the tourists. So, you wrong. Not live in Thailand. Only visit Thailand. 

Wrong again. Even most Thai does not know much about Thailand because of the bad Thai education. 

Even the foreigner can speak Thai, him mostly hear the conversion about food and gossip. 

????

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thai government say all foreigners are the tourists. So, you wrong. Not live in Thailand. Only visit Thailand. 

Where you live Fex?

Someone ask you. What you say. 

Another boring way to argue? Again. 

work visa, retirement visa, is not same tourism visa. 

Most foreign man same age you already retirement. Happy good life.

Keep working Fex. In the pollution right? Country you hate everyone. Pitiful guy.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Wrong again. Even most Thai does not know much about Thailand because of the bad Thai education. 

Even the foreigner can speak Thai, him mostly hear the conversion about food and gossip. 

????

No. You only speak simple thai. So the thai just speak to you simple word. 

On 10/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, Pilotman said:

Did he though?  he is the one checking rain guages each day.  Can't do anything about rain. 

True,  but we can take readings and write it down in a big book with the title "Rainfall,  temperature and humidity for Neon Maprang" together with the date and time.  The Thai weather bureau doesn't seem to record rainfall for our tambon. 

On 10/5/2019 at 11:39 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

To quote George Carlin: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

And that applies obviously to people all over the world.

Western average person IQ 100, Thai average person IQ 90.

They're starting from a much lower point. so you'd need to change your GC quote (considering the bell distribution curve) to ......

"Think of how stupid the average western person is, and realize 3/4 of the Thais are stupider than that"

On 10/6/2019 at 12:35 PM, Yinn said:

It's one of the mysteries of  Thailand!  My guess is the Thai joker got the green water out of one of the buckets or half chemi drums catching rainwater off the sala roof. So,  my next question is: why the he11 would anyone catch water that no-one will use? It just sits there and goes Green.  Even the dogs won't drink it! I take a bottle and a dog bowl for them and a Thai water bucket with ice water for me. 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They're starting from a much lower point. so you'd need to change your GC quote (considering the bell distribution curve) to ......

"Think of how stupid the average western person is, and realize 3/4 of the Thais are stupider than that"

I used to have an IQ of 110.....but  I think I have killed off a few million (billion) brain cells....and IQ points with drugs and alcohol in years gone by.  Been off the booze for 15 years and drugs for.....what time is it now?   ????

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Western person move to Thailand average IQ 85.

Archived