Judge shoots self in court after being forced to change verdict

rooster59

Judge shoots self in court after being forced to change verdict

Kanakorn-Pianchana.png

A judge, Mr. Kanakorn Pianchana, shot himself in the chest in an apparent suicide attempt after delivering a verdict in Yala’s provincial court this afternoon (Friday).

Spokesman for the court said that Mr. Kanakorn is now out of danger after being rushed to the provincial hospital, adding that the judge might be suffering from stress.

A statement, purportedly written by Mr. Kanakorn, has been widely shared on social media and claims that he had been approached by someone who forced him to change the not guilty verdicts against five defendants, condemning three of them to death and sending another two to prison, despite the lack of sufficient evidence to convict any of them.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/judge-shoots-self-in-court-after-being-forced-to-change-verdict/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-10-05

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A statement, purportedly written by Mr. Kanakorn, has been widely shared on social media and claims that he had been approached by someone who forced him to change the not guilty verdicts..."

There's a couple of very important words to bear in mind with this article, "purportedly" and "claims".

One would assume someone connected very high up threatened him and he bowed to the pressure.

Now that he didn't succeed in his attempt to end it all, will he be coming forward with naming the perpetrator. I won't hold my breath. 

"despite the lack of sufficient evidence to convict any of them" 

The judge believed there was not enough evidence but at last three of them were condemned to the death penalty.
One can understand that the judge was upset and more could feel guilty for not having had the courage or the strength to refuse such an injustice.  
My wife saw the story on TV it could be a minister who gave this order?  But since the judge is not dead the story is far from finished

"The judge claims that other junior judges in the court of first instance, like him, are also subjected to the same pressure" !?!? we all suspected this in many cases but now we are sure !!!

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A statement, purportedly written by Mr. Kanakorn, has been widely shared on social media and claims that he had been approached by someone who forced him to change the not guilty verdicts against five defendants, condemning three of them to death

And I wonder just how many times judges here have been told what the verdict should be. 

Methinks in order to restore the eh 'good name' of the Thai judicial system that eh the errant Judge will be pronounced sufficiently stressed to spend time in a psychiatric facility and will return to apoligise for his ill founded indiscretion due to stress and then retire or the inballance in his brain will be ballanced by a small lump of lead.

1 hour ago, phetpeter said:

If true, he should state the name of the person who initiated he change the verdict, so the person can tell everybody why he has done it. Not just state 'someone'

Maybe he thought if he says someone and kills himself that his family would be safe from reprisals if he was to mention names. Just a thought

1 minute ago, alzack said:

THE ARMY  has substantial connections & influence. 

Has nothing to do with the army, he was clear in his statement, senior judges who oversee verdicts prior to ruling, and forcing junior judges to make different verdicts if its not to their liking. 

Who puts pressure on senior judges? may be Mr Baht

10 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

He should have followed his conscience and handed out the appropriate verdict. If that wasn't the one he was expected to give he would be dead soon enough. No need for him to lay hand himself. 

I am sure that threats may have been in place against those close  to him if he didn't deliver? 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A statement, purportedly written by Mr. Kanakorn, has been widely shared on social media and claims that he had been approached by someone who forced him to change the not guilty verdicts

If I was in his shoes and going to kill myself, I would make sure to name the person who did make me change the verdict, not only in that statement but wherever I can think of...

3 hours ago, car720 said:

We joke and laugh about it because T.I.T. but in reality the same type of gangsters that are running this guy are running every government in the world.  What chance the little guy?

If it were gangsters, wouldn't they want the verdicts to be Not Guilty?

The fact that they wanted guilty verdicts, suggests that pressure came from Government.

Archived