The only way to fast track a marriage (two foreigners) is to pay 12k+ to an agent?

MOEHARD

We recently tried to get married at Bang Rak but they said it takes 2+ months (instead of the original 1-day).

We have all of our documents from the embassy, translated, legalized, etc. We contacted Bang Rak Amphur (our Thai friend spoke with them) and they said it takes around 2 months. We have to drop off our documents and they will check them all with the embassies and then set up a date with us for the marriage.

HOWEVER, if you pay an agent, this process can be done in only a few days. This costs around 12k to 25k baht though which is a bit ridiculous.

Does anyone know if we can get married in one, or only a few days, without having to pay an agent 12k baht?

Hi - thanks for the help.

I didn't think this was an issue with which Amphur we chose (but it might be) - As far as we understood it they said all Amphurs need to check with the embassy to confirm the documents.

The reason I think this isn't 100% correct is that an agent says it can take only a few days to get married. I'm not sure if they are greasing the wheels or something but I'd rather not pay 12k baht.

Maybe I will ask our friend to call a few other Amphurs and ask them how long it takes.

Has anyone recently tried to get married (within 3-4 months) and it took just a day?

1 minute ago, MOEHARD said:

I didn't think this was an issue with which Amphur we chose (but it might be) - As far as we understood it they said all Amphurs need to check with the embassy to confirm the documents.

The reason I think this isn't 100% correct is that an agent says it can take only a few days to get married. I'm not sure if they are greasing the wheels or something but I'd rather not pay 12k baht.

Maybe I will ask our friend to call a few other Amphurs and ask them how long it takes.

Has anyone recently tried to get married (within 3-4 months) and it took just a day?

If not for the documentation I could have got married at Bang Rak the same day I turned up. There was a queue and one just waited one's turn. No delay at the other amphur.

Maybe things have changed.

Been married, divorced, married at Bangrak and its only taken an hour each time and that included a trip down the street to get photo copies we had forgotten to take.

Have you tried to go to the Umphur instead of relying on a "friend" to call and ask.

Apart from an agent trying to rip you off the only reason for a delay I can think of is if your future wife has been divorced as there is a 300? day waiting period unless she has a doctors certificate saying shes not pregnant.

10 minutes ago, Farma said:

Been married, divorced, married at Bangrak and its only taken an hour each time and that included a trip down the street to get photo copies we had forgotten to take.

Have you tried to go to the Umphur instead of relying on a "friend" to call and ask.

Apart from an agent trying to rip you off the only reason for a delay I can think of is if your future wife has been divorced as there is a 300? day waiting period unless she has a doctors certificate saying shes not pregnant.

Hi - sorry I actually misspoke. She was at the Ampur when she was asking them about it. We were on the way but turned around once she heard that.

When did you guys get married? I think things have changed quite recently, within the last 1-3 months.

They told us that they now have to verify the translated documents (even though the documents are from the Embassy, and officially translated, and the translation confirmed/legalized).

On 10/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, MOEHARD said:

Maybe that 3 arrested Indians were using an agent... one of them had "fake Indian embassy stamp" on his papers... Be careful with agents.

They will these days make it difficult as two foreigners.

I have experienced this. You will get a grilling even if all your paperwork is in order & they will try & find something wrong with it

Why not travel back to one of your home countries ? which is what they too will ask

Archived