Fitting seats inside a pool

HTC

I am currently having a tile pool built.

The design from the start was to have two seats in the pool. These are simple columns.

The pool is being tiled now. I asked how the seats will be fitted.

He says they will drill down into the pool floor and fit metal rod(s) to stop the seats from falling over.

I have two questions.

1. Will drilling holes cause the pool to leak?

2. This will be a salt pool. Will the metal rods get wet and then rust?

Many thanks.

Are the seats going to be tiled concrete cubes or something similar?

If so they will likely drill holes in the slab (not all the way through) for the seat re-bar cages and concrete the lot, provided they get a good concrete-concrete join nothing is going to leak or rust.

Seats in a swimming pool. Right up there with wooden gazebos when it comes to useful functionality.
If you saw my pool, you wouldn't be doing laps in it. Too small. More of an oversized jacuzzi haha.

2 hours ago, Bagwain said:

We just finish a refurb and it included 2 seats and a table installed. No issues. M.C. Logo inserted ontop of the table. That took some working out. 

1558759713013.jpg

20190608_123353_1600x777_1600x777.jpg

20190608_123400_1600x777_1600x777.jpg

20190912_113846_1600x777.jpg

20190912_113833_1600x777.jpg

We used PebbleSupreme for the coping, steps & Jacuzzi

Iridescant Blue.jpg

PS-Iridesent-Blue-Sea.png

I suggest its better & cheaper to make seats separate & just place where you want them.  I think I am correct that water weighs 1 Kg/ltr & 1000 ltr = 1 cubic meter.

If so, thats 1000 kg / mtr3 for water (minor change for salt water).  Concrete weighs over twice that (2400 kg / mtr3), so will sit pretty well on bottom of pool with no rebar attachment.

Can do similar with table, especially if top it above water & has dead weight with no boyancy to counter it.   You can even calculate how strongly they will sit on bottom - how much force it takes to move them.  I suggest 50kg for seats (weight of a bag of cement) & 150 kg for table - stable, taking 3 people to move it.

You could manufacture the whole seat out of the pool in the style shown in our TV friends photos - even ad swivel sets, then concrete reo-epoxy glue them straight to the concrete bottom ... but you'd have to have a dry pool to do that. Concrete reo-epoxy glue is indestructible and unbelievably strong but has to be applied to dry surfaces.

I would never trust any straight steel/non-galvanised reo bar added to a pool after it has been built - no matter whether it has been painted with a rust-proof coating or sealed inside a concrete tube as shown in the photos.

I personally would never ever, ever risk drilling into the pool-walls or bottom after it is completed, and I was a builder for 30 years (not pools but I sub-contracted a few excellent Aussie pool builders over these years) and they would never dream of drilling holes into the bottom of a pool once it is sealed, or adding non-galvanized steel as an afterthought.

Gal steel won't rust, but if contacted by pool chemical waters will oxidize, and leach over time due to the harsh chemicals ... uncoated reo steel will as it oxidises expand and crack the structures it is put in, this includes the very bottom of your pool! 

Non-galvanised steel added as an afterthought is a risk way too far and a recipe for later disaster.

Probably non-existent in Thailand but in many places ALL steel used in a pool must be earth bonded with a 6sq mm earth back to the main board.

If in the case described here where steel is added at a later date, provision is usually made for it before-hand.

But , as they say, along with absence of pool fencing, TIT.

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Probably non-existent in Thailand but in many places ALL steel used in a pool must be earth bonded with a 6sq mm earth back to the main board.

If in the case described here where steel is added at a later date, provision is usually made for it before-hand.

But , as they say, along with absence of pool fencing, TIT.

My pool area has fencing and a Magna Latch child safe lock on the gate, I looked at the Australien rules and followed these.

Besides all the rebar in the pool and in the surrounding coping are wired to the ground rod and there is RCBO in the main board.

The seating area in my pool is made like steps, also so that smaller children can stand on these, the pool is 1,35 m deep all over exept on the steps.

5 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Which company built your pool

I built my pool together with local builders, they had never made a pool before, but I had. I made the plan and supervised the build. The plumbing and electrical I made myself.

But sorry for answering if it was the OP you asked.

7 hours ago, 1130bobs said:

I suggest its better & cheaper to make seats separate & just place where you want them.  I think I am correct that water weighs 1 Kg/ltr & 1000 ltr = 1 cubic meter.

If so, thats 1000 kg / mtr3 for water (minor change for salt water).  Concrete weighs over twice that (2400 kg / mtr3), so will sit pretty well on bottom of pool with no rebar attachment.

Can do similar with table, especially if top it above water & has dead weight with no boyancy to counter it.   You can even calculate how strongly they will sit on bottom - how much force it takes to move them.  I suggest 50kg for seats (weight of a bag of cement) & 150 kg for table - stable, taking 3 people to move it.

Over the top!!

However we did consider T/G's dancing on the table.

So the top could hold a baby elephant!! 

????????????

I've decided to give the seats a miss.

Looking at my pool today, it's too small and I can sit on the steps or side.

Certainly not going to drill into the tiles, after reading above comments.

Thanks.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:51 PM, HTC said:

I've decided to give the seats a miss.

Looking at my pool today, it's too small and I can sit on the steps or side.

Certainly not going to drill into the tiles, after reading above comments.

Thanks.

They would have been alright if the correct epoxy was used with the steel inserts!

On 10/10/2019 at 1:08 PM, Bagwain said:

They would have been alright if the correct epoxy was used with the steel inserts!

Exactly my sentiments

If I had a pound for every hole that I have been responsible for drilling in a pool tank I would be an extremely rich man. Even richer for the odd 200mm ones drilled into pool walls.

Archived