Multiple Pricing Charged Depending on Nationality by a Bangkok Hospital.

Dazinoz

Firstly I would like to say that this is not about the Bangkok Hospital but a popular cosmetic surgery hospital in Bangkok.

I know there is dual pricing and farangs often pay more for things but this is about different levels of charging and very blatant.

Before the story just a little about my girlfriends IDs. She is from Myanmar and has been in Thailand some time and had basically lost all of her limited IDs. A few years ago I helped her get her pink Non-Thai ID which lists her as from Myanmar. A little while later she obtained her Thai motor bike license using the pink ID as the primary ID for her license. Apparently on that is lists her as Thai Yai.

Ok, we decided to drive from Chiang May to Pattaya for a holiday. She had been wanting to do a cosmetic eye procedure for some time. She had been looking at videos on Youtube on the procedure and about the hospital. She asked me could she get it done so I said for her to contact them. So we decided to goto the hospital on the way to Pattaya and talk to the doctor. On arriving she showed her Thai driving license. She got to see doctor, she was given a quote and an appointment made for a day on our return trip from Pattaya.

On procedure day we arrived and on booking in she gave her pink ID. I saw her too late or I would have said use license the same as before. After sitting awhile a lady came and talked to her in Thai then left. I noticed she was holding the pink ID and a copy of my gf license from first visit. I asked my gf what was that about. She said license showed Thai Yai where pink ID showed Myanmar and why didn't she tell them first time. I said what's the difference. Then we were called to a desk with 2 ladies. We were advised it would cost 20% more because she was from Myanmar. I kept asking why as they are still the same eyes. An older lady was called to the desk, I assumed a supervisor. She spoke a little english but talking was mostly in Thai. She did make a comment to me that my gf had to pay more, like us farang, as she was not Thai. She told my gf it was 50% extra for farang. My gf asked me what I though and I said it was wrong and I wasn't going to pay. She told them to give her deposit back and she would get it done here in CM. They relented and did the procedure for the original quoted price even though one of the ladies kept insisting she pay the extra.

Personally I did not want to use that hospital at all after that but my gf had her heart set on the procedure and it would have been a fairly icy trip back to CM.

since you are complaining about a scumbag/bad practice  hospital don't you think it would be better to name it thus in future no one will get that "special" treatment/price. In my humble opinion if not wanting to name them why complain than

You can't expect poor countries like Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia to pay the same rate as western countries, do you?

Their currencies are weak and their salaries are pittance.

So it is understandable that they pay less than farangs.

11 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

since you are complaining about a scumbag/bad practice  hospital don't you think it would be better to name it thus in future no one will get that "special" treatment/price. In my humble opinion if not wanting to name them why complain than

See post #4

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You can't expect poor countries like Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia to pay the same rate as western countries, do you?

Their currencies are weak and their salaries are pittance.

So it is understandable that they pay less than farangs.

So why should they pay more than Thais?

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Is it quite normal that all foreigners in all countries pay more than the citizens. 

Never seen it happen in Australia. Not saying it doesn't happen just never seen it.

3 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Have you noticed how one is not supposed to post any racist comments on this board, yet it is ok for Thai hospitals to be racist.

+20%,.... double charging is the norm for Farangs.

If I had it done it would have been an extra 50%.

Just now, EricTh said:

Is it quite normal that all foreigners in all countries pay more than the citizens. 

The question is how much more. 

Not where I am.

Simply would not be permitted.

Would actually be an offence if even tried.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

The question is how much more. 

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

Never seen it happen in Australia. Not saying it doesn't happen just never seen it.

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Have you noticed how one is not supposed to post any racist comments on this board, yet it is ok for Thai hospitals to be racist.

+20%,.... double charging is the norm for Farangs.

1 hour ago, naboo said:

Not where I'm from.

1 hour ago, seasia said:

Not where I am.

Happens to Thai people in caucasions countries.....

NHS hospitals in England will have a legal duty to charge overseas patients upfront for non-urgent care if they are not eligible for free treatment. ... The announcement from Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt comes amid recent headlines about the cost of tourists using the NHS

Residents of some countries may qualify for access to Medicare via Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA). The Australian Government has RHCA with the governments of the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Malta, Italy, Belgium, the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand. Not Thailand. 

The U.S. health care system is not ‘free healthcare’ – not for visitors or for citizens of the U.S. This can be the most confusing fact of all for those coming from countries where healthcare is free (or, more accurately, paid for by taxes).

Further, foreign visitors on short-term visas as tourists, i.e., not students or temporary foreign workers, do not have access to buy their own health insurance from the healthcare marketplaces.

1 hour ago, seasia said:

Not where I am.

Foreign students studying at universities in Canada, USA, Australia all have to pay higher tuition fees than the citizens. So this is price discrimination.

Not sure about other countries.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

don't you think it would be better to name it thus in future no one will get that "special" treatment/price. In my humble opinion if not wanting to name them why complain than

Because he knows the defamation laws in Thailand, naming and shaming can get you in prison even when your claim is true.

45 minutes ago, Yinn said:

NHS hospitals in England will have a legal duty to charge overseas patients upfront for non-urgent care if they are not eligible for free treatment. ... The announcement from Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt comes amid recent headlines about the cost of tourists using the NHS

Residents of some countries may qualify for access to Medicare via Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA). The Australian Government has RHCA with the governments of the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Malta, Italy, Belgium, the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand. Not Thailand. 

The U.S. health care system is not ‘free healthcare’ – not for visitors or for citizens of the U.S. This can be the most confusing fact of all for those coming from countries where healthcare is free (or, more accurately, paid for by taxes).

Further, foreign visitors on short-term visas as tourists, i.e., not students or temporary foreign workers, do not have access to buy their own health insurance from the healthcare marketplaces.

But this was not healthcare, which is usually subsidised by the tax payers of the country, it was a cosmetic procedure in a private hospital/clinic.

Foreign students studying at universities in Canada, USA, Australia all have to pay higher tuition fees than the citizens. So this is price discrimination.

Not sure about other countries.

No price discrimination at all.
The real costs per year/per student for a Swiss uni is about 15k CHF, tuition fee for Swiss residents is less than 1k.
Foreigners should pay 15k, but pay much less.
That’s why Swiss unis are full of foreigners, subsidized by Swiss taxpayers.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, HLover said:

Scumbag practices

I agree 

4 hours ago, HLover said:

The Hippocratic Oath, that is what I was about

It has nothing to do with cosmetic surgery. Hippocrates himself, if living today, would be against such practices in general (cosmetic surgery).

On 10/5/2019 at 8:42 PM, Yinn said:

"Happens to Thai people in caucasions countries....."

Don't mix up  deposit with the double pricing.....!! I am sure they don't use higher price for foreigners  Thai or other , only the difference local country people are covered by their national insurance by their local nationality  ….compared with the 30 baht rule in Thailand , only for much higher treatments care , so deposit could be asked , but that is NOT the THAI double pricing use for foreigners 

Keep hard squeezing the golden goose ,and no golden egg's coming out anymore 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 7:06 PM, Dazinoz said:

Never seen it in the US either. That would fall under racial or ethnic discrimination and would almost certainly result in the healthcare provider getting their day in court.

David

Is there any medicare-like type website in Thailand? - that might itemize general (&private)  hospital attendance and surgical procedures costs?  

DILaw has just approached mum saying she's going to be billed 60000baht for a cyst op (dunno if ovarian or cervix) 

I reckoned it might be that she had her visiting Korean BF with her at the time of the initial enquires... and thing$ got bumped Up? 

Archived