Trump signs proclamation restricting visas for uninsured

Trump signs proclamation restricting visas for uninsured

art

WASHINGTON -  Immigrants applying for U.S. visas will be denied entry into the country unless they can prove they can afford health care, according to a proclamation signed Friday by President Donald Trump.

The new rule applies to people seeking immigrant visas from abroad — not those in the U.S. already. It does not affect lawful permanent residents. It does not apply to asylum seekers, refugees or children.

USA has turned health care and insurance into the biggest single rip-off in history.

The charges bear no comparison to the actual costs, if they did all nurse would be multi-millionaires and wards men and kitchen staff all would be driving BMWs.

IMO

The jest of this it is going to make getting a B1/B2 or a K1 or a CR1 or IRI even harder.

Anyone applying for an entry visa must show they will have coverage within 30 days of entering the country or that they have the money to cover "reasonably foreseeable medical costs." It does not specify the dollar figure needed but says a consular officer would determine if an applicant met the requirements before issuing a visa and that the secretary of state might "establish standards and procedures." 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ts-must-have-health-care-coverage/3879541002/

Rather difficult, if not impossible, for people to get a US insurance policy when not yet living in the US.

Temporary travel policies can be gotten  -- there are several specifically designed for foreigners travelling to US -- but unclear if this will be accepted.

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Rather difficult, if not impossible, for people to get a US insurance policy when not yet living in the US.

Temporary travel policies can be gotten  -- there are several specifically designed for foreigners travelling to US -- but unclear if this will be accepted.

According to this article , immigrants have 30 days after arrival to get insurance.

Immigrants must now show that they will obtain health insurance within 30 days of their arrival in the US or otherwise demonstrate that they will be able to pay

President Donald Trump issued a proclamation Friday night barring immigrants who do not have health insurance and cannot afford to pay medical care costs from getting visas of almost any kind to enter the US.

Immigrants must now show that they will obtain health insurance within 30 days of their arrival in the US or otherwise demonstrate that they will be able to pay for their medical expenses. The executive order does not lay out clear procedures for determining whether immigrants meet these requirements — it will be up to individual consular officers charged with evaluating visa applications and the State Department. 

Trump said the move is a means of cutting costs to American citizens, who he said pay higher taxes, premiums and medical costs to cover hospital fees for those who cannot afford care

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/4/20899610/trump-deny-visas-uninsured-low-income-immigrants

Keep your eye on the US Embassy in Bangkok for update and I'm sure that UJ will be on this as this could impact quite a few in Thailand.

Oct. 5, 2019 at 10:18 a.m. GMT+7

The White House late Friday issued a proclamation saying it would deny visas to immigrants who “will financially burden” the U.S. health-care system starting Nov. 3, demanding that foreign nationals prove that they have insurance or are affluent enough to cover their own health-care costs before entering the United States.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/trump-will-deny-visas-to-immigrants-who-lack-health-care-coverage/2019/10/04/81e4f48a-e710-11e9-b403-f738899982d2_story.html

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not for tourists right?
It seems Stephen Miller never sleeps.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

According to this it may.

President Donald Trump issued a proclamation Friday night barring immigrants who do not have health insurance and cannot afford to pay medical care costs from getting visas of almost any kind to enter the US.

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/4/20899610/trump-deny-visas-uninsured-low-income-immigrants

Always look at the actual text for actual answers.

It says, "this proclamation does not affect the entry of aliens entering the United States through means other than immigrant visas."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-will-financially-burden-united-states-healthcare-system/

As most of you know, US immigration law draws a bright line between immigrant visas for residence in the US and non-immigrant visas for visitors. So no, it does not affect those travelling to the US for tourism.

As to the mechanics and what insurance works, also see the text of the proclamation.

2 hours ago, taxout said:

As most of you know, US immigration law draws a bright line between immigrant visas for residence in the US and non-immigrant visas for visitors. So no, it does not affect those travelling to the US for tourism.

Anybody who travels to the US for a holiday and doesn't have travel insurance has to be bonkers.

Traveling thinking of immigrating all should take out a travel insurance as u see here many have nothing get sick get accident then complain like hell that the were not looked after .or can not pay bill.

at the moment it is not compulsery to show health coverage but soon it will be ,

if people apply for a buisness work visa in many countries you must prove u have a medical insurance 

in the last 3 months i have had to show entering Russia and Mexico  

there was talk a while ago that the Thai Immergration was going to ask the same  also like the 20000

I don't really see the issue. My wife and son's policy with AIA here covered all his cost when he broke his arm 10 years ago. Most travels insurance companies will cover cost, too. 'Long term', like you I don't see how it enforceable.  I see where he's trying to go with though and don't see it as a bad thing.

11 hours ago, maxisrael said:

No problem for me i will NEVER EVER go to the USA.

No loss. I have a love/hate relation with it. I love so many of my friends that I have there. I hate the the politics, the leftist, the MSM and ....  

On 10/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, Sheryl said:

And probably rather difficult for immigrants to be working or making money to afford such things?

18 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

The same could be said about tourists in Thailand or those who choose to stay here long term.

I have said that on here before. Happy to repeat it for travelling to any country.

21 hours ago, atyclb said:

as i recall many years ago to get a tourist visa to enter germany one needed to show medical insurance (thai passport)

It's the law even for visa free for the whole Schengen area. This doesn't seems to be enforced in general unless you need to apply for a visa. I got a work permit in Germany and they only accepted specific 1000 euro per month German insurance. Pretty expensive for a mid 30 Canadian with perfect health working on a computer. 

Archived