Almost denied entry METV DMK

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

If Thailand would do away with non O retirement extension, and only allow Elite visa holders to stay, how many retirees will be still here? 

My guess would be less than 5% for sure.

55 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Actually the cost of the Elite Visa vs Non O retirement isn't that great. If I were living in the Bangkok area, an Elite Visa might make sense with the perks, but I live 600 KM north. Italy would be OK but I don't speak Italian.

Really? How much is an "Elite Visa"?

According to the Aussie website it's $600 for a multiple entry 5 year Retirement Visahttp://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/95163-VISA-FEE.html

Now please tell me how I can get an "Elite Visa" for  5 years for $600? Actually, that means it costs $125/year for a retirement visa if you break it down. Cheaper than a 6 month METV which costs $300!! So how do I get an "Elite Visa" for less than an METV? I'm sure lots here wanna know...

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, amykat said:

Yes, once you dig into it and confront Fred he has to check out.  He just wants to lecture people from his pulpit with his control freak nature.

Man yelling "get off my lawn, young people!". What makes him even more upset, young people are still playing ball outside his house, happy ????

Must be infuriating!

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

What you are asking is this country following rule of law. It has never been that, and it very likely won't be, at least during our lifetime. 

That is Thailand, we know it, and love it nevertheless, what's strange, we have Westerners here defending this lawlessness and corruption. Why do they do it? Is it just taking out their misery on others, feeling some relief from their sadness, when they see others not having it too easy?

Exactly. Thai officials bending the rules or asking for tea money is one thing, Western expats who haven't been through the big Thai brain washer since childhood defending those criminals quite another thing. The former is to be expected and part of the Thailand package, the latter is mind-boggling. Sad creatures they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, flouting, I'm not saying that applies to you necessarily but that's what foreigners trying to live here are doing when they do it on tourist visas. 

"...so everyone knows where they stand".

Here's where you stand; if you're a tourist on a tourist visa or VE don't try to live here on it, nor make so many lengthy trips that it appears that you might be!

Then they need to make that clear, and decide how long and how often a Tourist Visa should be.

Instead of leaving it to one person who does not like the look of your face.

I flew in on a METV from Australia late July and the female officers at DMK did deny me entry and forced a return back to Aus on same flight at considerable cost. All to do with too many back to back METV s and it didnt help my case that I didnt have 20,000baht in my wallet and an onward ticket. I have been renting a house down south over a year and do border crossings via Satun. The only upside to this is they didn't void my METV at DMK which was still valid for entry at another port. Regardless what they say, Unless they voided your visa you can still re-enter the country as I did coming back through the Satun port.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, treetops said:

I honestly don't know the answer, but a tourist as I see it does not stay 6 or 9 months at a time.  Elite Visa is not a tourist visa so probably more appropriate.

I currently have a METV, used so far for one trip where I entered and exited Thailand multiple times.  I intend to do the same before the visa expiry in January.  I think that is closer to the intended purpose of the METV than staying the 6 or 9 months mentioned.

9 hours ago, lupin said:

you do understand you cannot work in any way shape or form in Thailand on the Elite Visa right? It falls under the classification of a tourist visa and specifically states this on application/terms and conditions and on their website faq. You can apply for a NON -B and a work permit... and your PE MEMBERSHIP will remain valid, but you cannot use the visa or renew the extension until the NON-B (and work permit) is canceled.

On 10/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, SteveK said:

"if we give you 60 days you go to Cambodia, not come back to Thailand?"

Why are they so scared of people spending lots of time (and money) in Thailand?

In my case, Thailand has definitely "lost" many tens of thousands of USD, literally, that I would have been even more happy to spend traveling within Thailand.  It's not my loss, as I equally enjoy my travels around the region to other beautiful countries.  But the fact remains that even more of my foreign sourced income would be contributed to the Thai economy if circumstances did not force me to go on visa runs.

Re the original post, the simple fact is that the OP chose the absolute worst airport to fly into as a person with a history of tourist visas.  Even BKK would have probably been easier, and some other airports or land borders would have been highly unlikely to even bat an eyelid at a METV...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Why does seeing a fellow foreigner having hard time make you happy? It is off topic, but I sincerely like to know!

He is not a 'fellow' foreigner, simply another foreigner who he has no affiliation with whatsoever. There could be some negative sentiment towards people who he feels abuse the hospitality of Thailand by flaunting their systems. 

It rubs off on all foreigners.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2019 at 7:39 AM, FredGallaher said:

Why did you give up the Non O retirement visa? It seems like the ideal visa for you. Was the lack of the embassy letter an issue?

No, I can manage the money topic....I got tired of the BS at Ranong Immigration. The ONLY IO working that desk at the time would refuse to speak English and somewhat make it up as she went along. No matter how prepared one might be there was always something else to return for. Delivered with a smug <deleted> attitude. Comparing notes with my mates their reply was "Oh, you mean the c*nt?" I am on my 3rd cycle of NO extension of stay and life is much better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

So now you understand that you aren't entitled to live long term in Thailand. It is unfortunate that some consulates are issuing inappropriate visas, but the visa applicant now knows and plan accordingly. After all first time visitors seem to have no problems, it's only those doing repeat visits that are being questioned or turned around. It could be that those processing the paperwork at most consulates aren't always Thai and/or are clerical staffwhereas at the airport the IO is actually a police officer with much greater authority. It like consulate shopping to get the best deal.

It's really good that now everyone knows what to expect.

Oh RIGHT! You know more about the requirements for a tourist visa that the people working at the consulates. Did you know that I had to show financial means? A return ticket and submit my passport for their scrutiny. You apparently do not agree but people who come here for months at a time on a METV are living within the description of the visa. I do not work here. I am happy to leave and explore other parts of Asia. I abide by all the rules and laws. 

Saying that we know what to expect - you mean expecting to perhaps have to pay a bribe to get in? I wondered if I would be refused entry and or asked for a bribe to be allowed entry. If you seriously think that the police are simply doing the real vetting then you CHOOSE to overlook the bribery topic. And if they were actually vetting then wouldn't it also follow that ALL METVs with history here would be turned away. 

16 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

So now you understand that you aren't entitled to live long term in Thailand. It is unfortunate that some consulates are issuing inappropriate visas, but the visa applicant now knows and plan accordingly. After all first time visitors seem to have no problems, it's only those doing repeat visits that are being questioned or turned around. It could be that those processing the paperwork at most consulates aren't always Thai and/or are clerical staffwhereas at the airport the IO is actually a police officer with much greater authority. It like consulate shopping to get the best deal.

It's really good that now everyone knows what to expect.

It always depends on from what point of view you look at it.

There is no law or ministerial order prohibiting people to enter unlimited times with a tourist visa.

At most border crossings people don't have any problems to enter Thailand (if they have a tourist visa or are still allowed to get a visa exempt).

There are only a few entry points where some IOs deny people. They clearly show that what they do is against official rules, because they tell people a reason which is no valid reason for denial, but then stamp a different reason in their passport.

On the one side we have tourists which followed all officially set rules, and on the other side we have an IO who is abusing his power to arbitrarily deny a person even though officially he was never given this power.

It's indeed a bit strange how many people here (who are probably on some kind of non-o visa) side with the IOs breaking the official rules, but then we have other topics where they blame IOs when they have problems getting their extension.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Really? How much is an "Elite Visa"?

According to the Aussie website it's $600 for a multiple entry 5 year Retirement Visahttp://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/95163-VISA-FEE.html

Now please tell me how I can get an "Elite Visa" for  5 years for $600? Actually, that means it costs $125/year for a retirement visa if you break it down. Cheaper than a 6 month METV which costs $300!! So how do I get an "Elite Visa" for less than an METV? I'm sure lots here wanna know...

4 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

That's a good start. Take all the Thai bashers and complainers with you.

I'm still awaiting for @FredGallaher to answer my question where you can get an "Elite Visa" for 5 years for around $600. You haven't answered my question.

23 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I'm still awaiting for @FredGallaher to answer my question where you can get an "Elite Visa" for 5 years for around $600. You haven't answered my question.

Obviously, you cannot get a Thailand Elite visa for $600. However, to pretend the total cost of an O-X visa is $600 is disingenuous. To get that visa, you also need to make an unsecured loan of millions of baht at minimal interest to Thai banks, and buy a usually unnecessary health insurance policy from an approved provider. It may end up more expensive than the TE visa when a full analysis is done.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Follow the Sydney Consulate link provided to in the first post and it mentions 5 year Retirement Visa for that  amount, not an Elite visa, not exactly the same thing ..

5 minutes ago, ja99 said:

Follow the Sydney Consulate link provided to in the first post and it mentions 5 year Retirement Visa for that  amount, not an Elite visa, not exactly the same thing ..

That's why I was curious how FredGallaher could say an Elite costs similar. Thought that he must have known about some special place where Elite visas are being given at a massive discount.

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Obviously, you cannot get a Thailand Elite visa for $600. However, to pretend the total cost of an O-X visa is $600 is disingenuous. To get that visa, you also need to make an unsecured loan of millions of baht at minimal interest to Thai banks, and buy a usually unnecessary health insurance policy from an approved provider. It may end up more expensive than the TE visa when a full analysis is done.

Actually, no need for health insurance policy to get a retirement visa. Just 800k THB or monthly salary of 65k baht. I would assume that if someone is getting their 1st retirement visa then they won't have a Thai bank account at all, so an 800k THB equivilant in an Aussie (or other) bank account would be acceptable when applying. (Btw you make unsecured loans to any bank for minimal interest whenever you deposit money in any bank account around the world, not just Thailand)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96010-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html

The following documents must be provided in 2 sets (1 original set and 1 copy set):

• Passport or travel document with minimum validity of 18 months,
  • Download and complete Retirement Visa application form
  • Must be an Australian national or permanent residents currently residing in Australia
  • A bank statement in the past six months showing a deposit account with the minimum fund of THB 800,000, or an income statement with a monthly salary of THB 65,000 or a deposit account plus monthly income THB 800,000 a year.
  • A police name check certificate issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application.
Edited by bbi1

Immigration is so full of nonsense, if they gonna play me one more time, I'm ditching this country like a bar girl, no joke.
I don't care that they don't care. The point is I know, I do not wish to lower myself longer just to keep living here, neither do I wish that future for my son. 

I start to feel selfish, to even still be here, towards my son, as his country of birth has nothing to offer him except BS and drama.
Hope they will have fun with their Chinese, Indians and Arabs.

Edited by tabarin
  • Haha 2

Few months back, I was also given the same treatment, I am back now with a none O I got from the Uk...

However the officers put a note on the system so say a. I can never enter the kingdom with a tourist visa again, and b. I could extend my tourist visa or tourist stamp ever again.

I went down to my local immagration to try to extend here in isaan and they confirmed that they cannot do it even though they wanted too, essentially the officer (high up tom boy) had placed these blocks on my passport and they seemed to be scared to cross her, essentially the lady said she would loose her job. 

Anyway the reason I am telling you this is becuase I was told by many she would have been bluffing me, but no they can put holds on you getting in again on a tourist visa/stamp plus even extending. I was luckily granted 20 days and had to book a flight in-front of them (which I never got on).

All in all I guess it worked out well as I was taking the <deleted> being here 6 years as a tourist and I feel alot more comfortable now on a none o, at-least im not worrying every month anyway.

I do think they should start to set out the rules on paper to save people being deported, I also think they need to be more professional about how they handle it. It seems like alot of it is luck of the draw and the mood of the officer that particular day.

I am seeing posts everyday now on facebook on people getting denied entry now, alot have started to fly to Chiang Mai hoping they will get through but I think even thats going to end soon, if they just stated the rules for everyone to clearly read this might not happen so much. I have been told so many different things by officers, the lady who put a block said the new rules are tourists are allowed max 60 days per calendar year in Thailand, whilst other officers have said 2 tourist visas in a row max (that would be 90 + 90 days with extensions)

Everything is still oldskool here, even when being interviewed in DM the room reminded me of a 1980`s school class room, still using paper and pen, stupid old posters on the wall with numbers written on them... anyway I would say they are really enforcing this crackdown on turfing tourists out, I saw several people being turned away, old, young... one guy had only been here once in the past.

I can see them cracking down on the education visas now as all the tourists seem to be jumping on them, I am sure they will make it much more difficult to obtain one, I am pretty sure they are going to spread this out to all airports etc too. 

You can go to your local immagration and ask them to check your file, I did and they showed me my block etc which the officer in DM had wrote on my file. Quite nice up in isan but couldnt help me as much as they wanted too, 

Cheers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FredGallaher said:

I never said that an Elite visa cost A$600. It cost more. But if you want to live here you have to stop complaining and pay up.  I only said that I could pay if I needed to. However, I realize it too much for others so they need to find a less expensive place to live.

All the complaining is really about the inability to pay, isn't it?

I think its more about how its not very clear, and the fact its generally up to the officers mood whether you get it or not. Its all very unprofessional, and as alot of families etc here can be quite distressing, not everyone has bucket loads of money and that's maybe why they decided to reside in Thailand years back for the cheaper cost of living, and then almost over night they are told to leave or given very little options to stay. 

It would be far easier if they just printed the new rules, rather than the IO saying stupid stuff like they did to me 'falang want to live here go home' etc, in some ways im happier now I have a none O even though I was forced to get one, but they could have handled it more professionally it was like being back in school, but when people have kids waiting on the other side its no joke for them. 

1 minute ago, FredGallaher said:

Good to see that you mended your ways and did it correctly. What kind of Non O did you get. I hope it wasn't a Non O Ed visa, unless it was based on university studies. Good luck!

Thanks, It was a none O as I have my son in school here who I support.

3 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

What kind of Non O did you get.

There is only one kind of non-o visa other than a non-oa visa.

1 minute ago, ryanhull said:

I hope it wasn't a Non O Ed

There is no such visa. I assume you mean a non-ed visa.

5 minutes ago, ryanhull said:

It would be far easier if they just printed the new rules

Immigration police doesn't have the power to do this, this would have to be done by the ministry of interior.

Looks like the MOI doesn't want to set such rules, and Immigration can't do it officially so they can't print them.

23 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

So you need to show 500,000 baht in the bank to renew.

The A$ and UK pound have been doing very poorly contributing to higher costs. This is no reason to complain about Thailand. I wish you and you son well.

I didn't need to show any funds at all, got it from Hull (my home town) done in 3 days. Needed the following:

received_1363102543847032.thumb.jpeg.4ebb096d610e364f44d1107fd197cc2d.jpeg

4 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

If you want to extend your'll need to check the rules. I thought it was 800K (retirement), 400K (married to Thai), and 500K ( taking care of minor child). However, I'm not a expert. Best to check with your immigration office.

Or just go back to the UK and get another? ???? 

Showing the funds isn't really an issue but I plan to take my lad to the UK for Christmas so ill just get another from Hull again,

To be honest with all this funny business going on with people being denied etc I can see them changing the rules AGAIN soon, who knows what the next day has in store for us in Thailand heh,