Is Pattaya now set for the era of the Indians?

rooster59

Is Pattaya now set for the era of the Indians?

By Dan Cheeseman

10bfd8a6-a48a-11e9-9a3c-98259c87fba2_image_hires_130101.jpg

It was only last month that I had a fascinating interview with local entrepreneur Mike Weller who was gushing at just how big the Indian opportunity now is in Pattaya.

I was a bit taken back by posters across the social networks where I shared the post that simply would not accept the Indians were bringing any value to Pattaya. Claiming Thailand would regret squeezing out the Western market and turning to the Chinese and Indians. It came across as sour grapes to me and also a delusion of grandeur from many of the Brits and Aussies that for some reason hold themselves on such a high global status.

I am a Brit and in the past probably have fallen victim to such delusions but am now refocused and aligned to the shift in the global market. I can see just how real this Chinese and Indian market has become and see no reason for it to not to continue growing.

It is well documented what is happening in Thailand with the Chinese tourist and investor but still, the Indian market gets skirted over by many who refuse to accept anything other than the stereotypical images.

f8fb604aa20b630b019f772795aed705.jpg

But they are wrong to do so and I think the winners in Pattaya will be those that embrace the Indian market as there is an increasing percentage who have good money in the pocket and are ready to spend it.

Just this week I was with a hotel developer and they exactly spoke of the shift in investors that parallel what we are seeing through tourism. They said before the Western market was good but now that has cooled, then the Russians came but that too has eased off; both due to changes in exchange rates from their end. Then the Chinese started to buy but as their exchange rates became less strong against the baht and getting money out of their country that slowed, but now has recovered somewhat.  He then said what others have also been saying, that the Indians were now becoming a very important market for selling too.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/10/02/is-pattaya-now-set-for-the-era-of-the-indians/

cropped-Logo-Alternative.png?fit=300%2C5

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Indian friends are already moving beyond the package style beach holidays and are travelling throughout Europe.

Bali has been an Indian resort destination for a while, with Indian families replacing the Aussie Surfers, but India develops fast, and the Middle Classes who can afford to travel are now looking for more culture and history.  So for Pattaya this may be another short-lived trend.  

But at least the Indian tourists speak English, so those businesses who replaced the Russian signs with Chinese can now dig out their old English signs.

Seems not enough for a photo opportunity.

Instead decorating the article with the typical Chinese crowd from the speedboat.

Let's hope the Indians do not care for boat trips :shock1:

If you want to see Indians go to "little Bombay" (as I call it), Soi 16 off Pattaya Klang (Central rd.). Amazing. Indian food from all regions e.g.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

...I think the winners in Pattaya will be those that embrace the Indian market as there is an increasing percentage who have good money in the pocket and are ready to spend it....

On wich figures, numbers or studies is based this statement?

Sound more like a desperate mantra..

19 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I wonder why would Indians come to Thailand. They have plenty of beaches, it's warm and I hear they also have Indian food.

Anyone notice that it is only large groups of Indian men that travel to Thailand - just why is that ?

Because their own women hate them and pattaya women like them even less, they will soon get the message, they mostly hang around massage parlors looking for cheap relief

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Instead decorating the article with the typical Chinese crowd from the speedboat.

And the photo is also a perfect illustration of how the things (Do not) work here

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/a-year-later-speedboats-ignore-beach-ban-with-impunity-254486

Thais have a born hatred against anything dark skinned, Southasians in general and Indians in particular. Lets wait and see until the first clashes make headlines. Indians are known to be outspoken and hence some fun and games can be expected anytime soon.

1138921516_Lookattheboardforexchangerates(speciallytheIndians).jpg.90dbe2781490785dd36e6a6df9d256b2.jpg

19 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Who cares what the nationality of people are when they come  to visit Thailand 

some people need to get a life 

Sir.....Any one who is not a older overweight balding english speaking tattooed caucasian beer drinking male SCARES ME.... 

Open your eyes: Indian people do not really visit Thailand, the Land of Smiles. They do not come to Chiang Mai or travelling the contry for culture. These people come to Pattaya. All they seem to want is to use the services Pattaya is well known for. They lodge around VC hotel, a doubtful area, go to the bars, share everything: One coke, one lady. Many hot nights with women so very different from the ones back home. Bargain hunting in the red light area seems to be one of their major activities.

2 minutes ago, xxeo said:

Open your eyes: Indian people do not really visit Thailand, the Land of Smiles. They do not come to Chiang Mai or travelling the contry for culture. These people come to Pattaya. All they seem to want is to use the services Pattaya is well known for. They lodge around VC hotel, a doubtful area, go to the bars, share everything: One coke, one lady. Many hot nights with women so very different from the ones back home. Bargain hunting in the red light area seems to be one of their major activities.

Seen many Westerners, I've been here since 1977, do lots and lots of bad, bad stuff. There's no point tarring nationalities.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you want to see Indians go to "little Bombay" (as I call it), Soi 16 off Pattaya Klang (Central rd.). Amazing. Indian food from all regions e.g.

Yes at amazing prices 

Archived