TM30 & small hotels/guest houses up country

I suspect many places are still not aware of the reporting requirements. It just depends upon whether the local immigration offices have informed them about it.

Even some of the smaller place may know about it now and are set up for the online reporting. 

• Thanks 1

I would think that if it is a small hotel in the country and they don’t take your passport then they aren’t reporting TM30’s anyway and they wouldn’t be concerned about foreigners staying there.

If a condo owner doesn’t want to rent to a foreigner then that is a slightly different situation. The foreigner is presumably staying for a long time (year?) and the landlord is technically responsible for reporting every return to the condo. If the renter is a frequent traveler then that may be more trouble for the condo owner than they are interested in putting up with. A hotel owner is already committed to short stay customers and the reporting requirements. Condo vs hotels - different business models.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Martyp said:

...the landlord is technically responsible for reporting every return to the condo...

According to section 38 of the immigration Act, the arrival of a foreigner at a residence must be notified to immigration by the house-master (householders) or the owner or the possessor of the residence.

Neither of the two English translations of the Immigration Act I have on file mentions "landlord". 

10 minutes ago, Maestro said:

According to section 38 of the immigration Act, the arrival of a foreigner at a residence must be notified to immigration by the house-master (householders) or the owner or the possessor of the residence.

Neither of the two English translations of the Immigration Act I have on file mentions "landlord". 

Call it what you want. The person who owns the condo and is renting it out can file the TM30 for the person renting the condo. My landlord (the condo owner) did this for me last Tuesday at CW Bangkok after I returned here from the US Sunday night. Also, in the case of CW, I could have filed the TM30 myself by bringing a copy of my lease.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Call it what you want. The person who owns the condo and is renting it out can file the TM30 for the person renting the condo. My landlord (the condo owner) did this for me last Tuesday at CW Bangkok after I returned here from the US Sunday night. Also, in the case of CW, I could have filed the TM30 myself by bringing a copy of my lease.

All of which has nothing to do with the op.

So OP, back to your question. You will have zero trouble as you put it "out in the sticks". Wed I go up country Petchabun. Then up mountain. Done many time. Stayed few flash hotel. Last time there was Thai imm meeting there. Anyway I never need show passport. Depends on local. Pattaya I almost need always pp even cheap joints. Koh samed ZERO several years. In any event its not important. I go CW Tues for extension. Asked my condo do tm30 for this Monday return from Saigon. That should cover it as I have print out. 

Get on your bike and relax

Has anyone ever seen a "No foreigner" sign in real life? Who worries about that? Same thing about those small hotels or guesthouses never reporting foreigners. I know loads of small hotels and guesthouses that never reports anyone. Who cares? Why do people worry about it? If they report you or not,so what? Some places might start reporting guests online when or if they learn how to do it. There must be more important issues than the TM30 report. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Has anyone ever seen a "No foreigner" sign in real life? Who worries about that? Same thing about those small hotels or guesthouses never reporting foreigners. I know loads of small hotels and guesthouses that never reports anyone. Who cares? Why do people worry about it? If they report you or not,so what? Some places might start reporting guests online when or if they learn how to do it. There must be more important issues than the TM30 report. 

Yes indeed. I also know many resorts/guest houses in rural areas across Northern Thailand where there are no reporting formalities.  So different from the cities and southern seaside resorts!! TM30 - never completed one in 20 years! 

48 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

CM IO said........we are not enforcing TM-30 for visiting other provinces.

Per the article here on TV about 3-4 weeks ago.........they expect to abolish TM-30 in about 2 months time.

lets see if they really do it

They never said anything about abolishing TM30, they talked about major changes. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The reason some people worry about a TM30 is that sometimes you need one. I just got my 1-year extension at CW a couple of hours ago. I included my TM30 with my other documents and they definitely wanted it. But yes . . . as far as the OP is concerned there should be no problems finding hotels/hostels that accept foreigners and nothing to worry about regarding the TM30 if he is not doing something at the Immigration office that requires it.

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be in the sticks, almost any hotel/resort doesn't bother outside Bangkok and the tourist areas, over the weekend I stayed in Surin 3 rooms, 3 farangs, no ID, a fourth farang booked the rooms from overseas and then gave them to me when he couldn't make it. Yet to see on my next extension but only done one TM30 in 11 years. Ive booked numerous farang friends into local hotels never asked for ID

Edited by Bluetongue
SPELLING
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Maestro said:

No but if somebody rent, then we would believe that the owner is the same as landlord.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

My usual place of stay in Samui did not even know what a TM30 was last July when it was in the news. All you need to do is ask them if they report. If they do you need a TM30 when you return home. If not reported, do nothing.

It depends on where home is, even if they reported you. 

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Yes, and the tenant is the possessor. 

Did I say anything different? I was just quoting that it did not have to stand landlord due to that is same as owner.

Where are you going with your comment? What do you want to say?

As the OP, the thread seems to have gone in a few different directions.

Originally I said, "I'm just concerned that it might become more difficult to just turn up somewhere and stay?"

UbonJoe said that he thought many places weren't aware of the requirements. He did say perhaps some may be reporting online. Not sure how likely that is though, as it wasn't easy to register as a hotel for TM30 reporting, I was involved in that a few years ago. It could have changed now.

Last year we stayed at four places in the middle of nowhere, which we either cycled past or saw listed on map Apps. None of them asked for a passport.

When out cycling for a few days, it's not so easy if you're refused somewhere to stay, then need to find somewhere else sharpish.

You never know, perhaps someone might produce an add-on for a mobile map App showing 'ferang-friendly' places to stay - whether registering you or ignoring the requirement - I'm not bothered either way regarding that, as long as I don't get refused because of it.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

If they reported you there will be an entry on the Immigration computer (assuming it works in a logical way). Easier to do the TM30 on return if they have.

how can you know if they have reported you or not.

if you then go to cw to report yourself home and there is no entry on the computer that you ever left would you not become liable for a fine?

it seems to me that you may be dammed if you report yourself and again may be dammed if you did not report yourself.

17 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

As the OP, the thread seems to have gone in a few different directions.

Originally I said, "I'm just concerned that it might become more difficult to just turn up somewhere and stay?"

UbonJoe said that he thought many places weren't aware of the requirements. He did say perhaps some may be reporting online. Not sure how likely that is though, as it wasn't easy to register as a hotel for TM30 reporting, I was involved in that a few years ago. It could have changed now.

Last year we stayed at four places in the middle of nowhere, which we either cycled past or saw listed on map Apps. None of them asked for a passport.

When out cycling for a few days, it's not so easy if you're refused somewhere to stay, then need to find somewhere else sharpish.

You never know, perhaps someone might produce an add-on for a mobile map App showing 'ferang-friendly' places to stay - whether registering you or ignoring the requirement - I'm not bothered either way regarding that, as long as I don't get refused because of it.

And how many remote guesthouses have you seen that don't accommodate foreigners? 

12 hours ago, jobsworth said:

how can you know if they have reported you or not.

if you then go to cw to report yourself home and there is no entry on the computer that you ever left would you not become liable for a fine?

it seems to me that you may be dammed if you report yourself and again may be dammed if you did not report yourself.

Go back to my original post where I said:

All you need to do is ask them if they report.

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Err, that's why I'm asking, given the publicity over the past year regarding reporting foreigners.

I haven't seen anything written about "No foreigners" in any article.

Reporting or not is an entirely different question,and not really important. You shouldn't worry about that. 

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Err, that's why I'm asking, given the publicity over the past year regarding reporting foreigners.

Your post is a little confusing because you are conflating guest hotels with a report about a few condo's not renting to foreigners. Guest hotels are used to frequent short term guests and foreigners. Maybe in remote areas they are not so used to foreigners but if they are in business as a hotel they will be aware of the reporting requirements. If they copy your passport then they either report your stay on-line or they at least record it somewhere in case they get a police inquiry. Some very small places neglect to ask for a passport at all. This has happened to me twice.

The problem with foreigners in condos is substantially different. Some foreigners travel fairly frequently and most condo owners are not available daily to track the arrivals of the people renting to them. Usually it is rent and forget until you need to sign the next years lease. It is a legitimate problem for condo owners to comply with TM30's. In many places the renter can file the TM30 but it is a hassle for them too. The solution to the condo problem is on-line filing which as been problematic for everyone involved.

I would not let reports about foreigners being refused for condo leasing worry  you about finding a hotel on your bike travels. They are different issues. Problems are possible but unlikely