TM30 & small hotels/guest houses up country

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

Your post is a little confusing because you are conflating guest hotels with a report about a few condo's not renting to foreigners. Guest hotels are used to frequent short term guests and foreigners. Maybe in remote areas they are not so used to foreigners but if they are in business as a hotel they will be aware of the reporting requirements. If they copy your passport then they either report your stay on-line or they at least record it somewhere in case they get a police inquiry. Some very small places neglect to ask for a passport at all. This has happened to me twice.

The problem with foreigners in condos is substantially different. Some foreigners travel fairly frequently and most condo owners are not available daily to track the arrivals of the people renting to them. Usually it is rent and forget until you need to sign the next years lease. It is a legitimate problem for condo owners to comply with TM30's. In many places the renter can file the TM30 but it is a hassle for them too. The solution to the condo problem is on-line filing which as been problematic for everyone involved.

I would not let reports about foreigners being refused for condo leasing worry  you about finding a hotel on your bike travels. They are different issues. Problems are possible but unlikely

Thanks for your reply.

I had no idea there was any difference between renting a condo or a hotel room. I saw it as someone wanting to rent a condo or a hotel/guest house for a night or two.

I mentioned the condo because that was the post someone mentioned a sign "No foreigners".

I had assumed it could be the same problem - the owner couldn't be arsed to report the foreigner on a TM30.

Staying out in the sticks doesn't in a guest house worry at all if they want to report me or not.

I was interested to know if it might be likely they would refuse me due to the reporting situation being publicised in the national press.

Hopefully not.

22 hours ago, Martyp said:

The reason some people worry about a TM30 is that sometimes you need one. I just got my 1-year extension at CW a couple of hours ago. I included my TM30 with my other documents and they definitely wanted it. But yes . . . as far as the OP is concerned there should be no problems finding hotels/hostels that accept foreigners and nothing to worry about regarding the TM30 if he is not doing something at the Immigration office that requires it.

I am talking about the OP and other tourists not about expats. I promise you that no one has ever seen a "No foreigners" sign in real life. And it doesn't even matter if they reported you or not while travelling in Thailand. If they did, you might have to submit a TM30 when you come back, if they didn't, no TM30. There are thousands of small hotels and guesthouses all over Thailand that never reports anyone. 

• Like 1