Medical Insurance

tgeezer

Plenty of people have gotten health insurance at that age but not usually from a Thai company.

For that matter even younger people are often better off getting coverage from a Western based company. There are specific expat policies that are designed to cover people living outside their own country. You don't need a "Thai" policy to be covered in Thailand.

Owing to universal free health cover for Thai citizens, the local private health insurance market is small and not well developed. It is also not very well regulated, and not very good value for money due to the small numbers in the pool of insured persons.

Cigna Global based in UK is one company known to cover up to almost any age.

An expat policy will cost a great deal more than a travel policy as they are designed to cover all medically necessary hospitalizations etc whereas travel policies cover emergencies only and even then, often just stabilization until you can be transported home. Travel policies don't therefore cover cataract surgery, hip/knee rplacements, long term cancer treatment, long term dialysis and the like whereas regular insurance does and costs much more accordingly.

Age above 70 an expat policy will cost you around USD 4000 - 4500 a year, maybe a bit less if you take a large excess.

Likely not worth getting if here only 5 months a year and willing/able to get all elective care back home.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Thank you. I think that I will carry on with travel Insurance.  

As long you read and really understand the the contracts of travel insurance then it's fine.

But you wrote for 5 months per year, so this should be covered by travel Insurance. But you still need to read and understand carefully the agreement. What is included and which exceptions are made in this travel insurance. 

Archived