BANGKOK
Hal65

How is the standard of medical care so high?

Thailand isn't known for its strong tech industry. I also hear mostly negative things regarding its education system. Indeed, the few university grads I've met from top BKK universities did not feel comparable to even graduates of ordinary Western colleges.

Why is the medical industry so different? Especially compared to other options such as the Philippines?

• Confused 2

after stays in private and govt. hospitals I would agree wholeheartedly.  Just because some charge a great deal more than others doesn't ensure the care is better.  I shake my head when some posters say that they chose Tland because the care is "so great".  

As an limited example, a good friend who wanted lasik surgery did research and found that the bkk hospital so revered by some on here were the best, great equipment etc. for this, however the job was botched and his eyes were so damaged that he killed himself in misery over the pain.

He later, before suicide. found that the machine used had not been calibrated in years and filed a complaint for this to no avail.  So sad as he was a very upbeat positive person before this.

• Sad 4

I have never seen data on the effectiveness or safety of Thai medical care.  On the other hand, I have read of a wide scale study evaluating the standard of care in the US which found that 40% of treatments were sub-standard.  Another US statistical study found that the number of deaths in US hospitals due to treatment errors to be much higher than previously estimated at around 400,000 per year.  The WHO rates Thailand as # 47 with the US at # 37 and France at # 1.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Lol

If you convert Hilton into a hospital and put the same crappy doctors inside does that mean the hospital care is great? 

Where are the crappy doctors?  I've had good luck with them.

The real question...the elephant in the room...if medical care in Thailand is mediocre at best...where do they get the gall to charge farangs multiples of what they charge Thais for the same mediocre procedure...?

Farangs are being used and abused IMHO...

• Like 2

OP asks: "Why is the medical industry so different? Especially compared to other options such as the Philippines?"

The Philippines are much poorer. And you can get very decent medical care in the Philippines,  at prices that are not as inflated as in Thailand (where private medical care is much more expensive than in Western Europe, as read in many posts).

Other South-east Asian countries are mostly much less developed than Thailand (Vietnam, Cambodia,  Indonesia) or more developed (Malaysia,  Singapore), so not really comparable. 

In comparable middle-income countries in South America you are able to find the same levels of care as in Thailand (but even more expensive).

I am not talking about care for the general population. 

"Why is the medical industry so different?" Because in medicine,  beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Many patients strongly believe in doctors,  procedures and whole medical fields that are useless,  if not harmful. To heal a patient,  the patient must believe in his doctor.  Whereas a car will move whether the driver believes in it or not. 

Thailand, the kingdom of make-believe, is uniquely positioned to sell medical services.  Many, many patients confuse beautiful exteriors of a hospital with top-notch medicine (another poster mentioned those beautiful nurses in Bangkok Trat Hospital).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IraqRon said:

after stays in private and govt. hospitals I would agree wholeheartedly.  Just because some charge a great deal more than others doesn't ensure the care is better.  I shake my head when some posters say that they chose Tland because the care is "so great".  

As an limited example, a good friend who wanted lasik surgery did research and found that the bkk hospital so revered by some on here were the best, great equipment etc. for this, however the job was botched and his eyes were so damaged that he killed himself in misery over the pain.

He later, before suicide. found that the machine used had not been calibrated in years and filed a complaint for this to no avail.  So sad as he was a very upbeat positive person before this.

Don't go to 3rd world countries for medical care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Saltire said:

I used to believe that Thailand was the place to go for treatments till I had to do so. I lived in Cambodia so it was seen as a much better option (definitely true even now). After 2 MRI scans one in the 'best' hospital in Chiang Mai and one in the 'famous' Bangkok hospital, no one could diagnose my spinal issue. This did not stop one of them trying to sell me a fusion procedure of costing $50k USD which I declined.

3 months later I completely resolved the condition (sciatica) with 7 acupuncture sessions in Cambodia by a Swiss practitioner at a total cost of about $200 and have been pain-free for 5 years.

In future I will put more effort into researching consultants as opposed to hospitals and their facilities.

Good for you for turning that down...since they didn't diagnose you correctly, they probably would have botched the operation also...backs are nothing to take lightly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I have never seen data on the effectiveness or safety of Thai medical care.  On the other hand, I have read of a wide scale study evaluating the standard of care in the US which found that 40% of treatments were sub-standard.  Another US statistical study found that the number of deaths in US hospitals due to treatment errors to be much higher than previously estimated at around 400,000 per year.  The WHO rates Thailand as # 47 with the US at # 37 and France at # 1.

Even in the US, try and opt for big city hospitals if you have the chance, insurance, etc. The local hospital care would scare me.

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The real question...the elephant in the room...if medical care in Thailand is mediocre at best...where do they get the gall to charge farangs multiples of what they charge Thais for the same mediocre procedure...?

Farangs are being used and abused IMHO...

I guess it still is probably cheaper than 1st world country care. As long as there are people willing to pay, they will keep pushing the envelope.