Laos - 1 year business visa, WP & ID card received - easy!

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Mavideol, sorry cannot help about exporting money from Laos, because I have no intention of going down that route and my income is modest in any case ????

Also, with the banks that I asked about opening an account, I was also told by them that the fixed term deposit accounts were only available to local Lao nationals or resident foreigners who had a business or marriage visa, WP (if not on a marriage visa)and local ID card, all which fits my own situation.  

Thanks. Your information is really appreciated. The situation in Thailand being what it is, it's nice to know that there are some reasonable alternatives.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The situation with the bank interest accounts seems to be similar to Myanmar, where I worked for several years.  High interest accounts were only available for foreigners with PR (easily obtained after 3 years living in Myanmar).

On 11/6/2019 at 6:23 AM, simon43 said:

As for scamming tuk-tuks, I haven't yet found one in Luang Prabang like that.  In Vientiane yes, but in LP I use tuk-tuks to/from the airport for 50,000 kip maximum = 170 baht, which seems reasonable for an airport run.

see how you go at;  taxi scammers at bkk airport

my google maps says 10 minutes to airport from LP center so say 10 km?

my info is you can carry max 2 million baht from Thailand across the friendship bridge per cross if you want more spread it out over days

fx at the laos  money changers in Vientiane is both cheap and available without restriction for my meager amounts both into and out of kip. didn't ask about big amounts as didn't score a visa nor bank accounts.

Cambodia is paying at least 6.5% for 4 year fixed USD, see for example ftb bank fixed more for khmer reil.

not aware of any in/out restriction in cambo but you will need a 6 month visa or work permit to open at most banks

. khmer visas are somewhat easy at an agent and cheaper than laos all up. have been told work permits can be purchased if you dont qualify for retirement 55yo plus

money laundering scam limitations are in effect if you send to some countries

Simon - Just out of interest did you have to prove that you teach online?

I went to LP many years ago and fancy another look for a few days next year. I've seen you about on here down the years and you seem like a good affable 'lad' I will drop you a line before I come and maybe have a beer when I'm there? 

12 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Simon - Just out of interest did you have to prove that you teach online?

No.  There seem to be a few different types of one-year visa that are issued:

- One year business visa for 'retirement', no WP.  (No WP would seem to make opening a local bank account rather difficult).

- One year business visa with WP, but no company/business papers (ideal for teaching online)

- One year business visa with WP for operating a bricks & mortar business, (in this case, one would need to register a Lao company etc, a route that I didn't investigate).

Due to my woeful track record of failed marriages, I haven't inquired about Lao marriage visas.....

This is just my take on it.... It seems that the issue of business visas for foreigners is still a little 'laid-back', just as I remember things many years ago when I stayed here.  As long as one quietly goes about one's life in the country, there are no problems.  Volunteer work is welcomed, (unlike Thailand). TM30 and regular reporting is not required.

Now if you want to come and live in Laos, bang the local women, take drugs, be obnoxious etc, then I suspect that your time in the country will be very limited!  My understanding is that the jail in Vientiane has living conditions that are far worse than the Bangkok 'Hilton' prison - the last Brit who was jailed in Vientiane died of neglect......

Anyway, I have only been living in LP for the past 4 months, so very early days.  But so far, everything has been great.  Business visa and WP obtained, bank account opened, including high interest account, house rented, expat medical insurance sorted out (I already had this, but recently changed to a different international company).  Daily food/provisions all OK, fibre-optic internet line working every day with no breaks, electricity supply very stable, (occasional 3 minute outages that my UPS manages all OK).  Ham radio licence obtained from the Lao government, (I'm the only ham in the country).

No-one has put any 'obstacles' in my path - either intentionally or unintentionally.  No-one addresses me as 'falang' - I have a name.  No-one has said 'cannot' to me ????

It's like a breath of fresh air.....

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

No.  There seem to be a few different types of one-year visa that are issued:

- One year business visa for 'retirement', no WP.  (No WP would seem to make opening a local bank account rather difficult).

- One year business visa with WP, but no company/business papers (ideal for teaching online)

- One year business visa with WP for operating a bricks & mortar business, (in this case, one would need to register a Lao company etc, a route that I didn't investigate).

Due to my woeful track record of failed marriages, I haven't inquired about Lao marriage visas.....

This is just my take on it.... It seems that the issue of business visas for foreigners is still a little 'laid-back', just as I remember things many years ago when I stayed here.  As long as one quietly goes about one's life in the country, there are no problems.  Volunteer work is welcomed, (unlike Thailand). TM30 and regular reporting is not required.

Now if you want to come and live in Laos, bang the local women, take drugs, be obnoxious etc, then I suspect that your time in the country will be very limited!  My understanding is that the jail in Vientiane has living conditions that are far worse than the Bangkok 'Hilton' prison - the last Brit who was jailed in Vientiane died of neglect......

Anyway, I have only been living in LP for the past 4 months, so very early days.  But so far, everything has been great.  Business visa and WP obtained, bank account opened, including high interest account, house rented, expat medical insurance sorted out (I already had this, but recently changed to a different international company).  Daily food/provisions all OK, fibre-optic internet line working every day with no breaks, electricity supply very stable, (occasional 3 minute outages that my UPS manages all OK).  Ham radio licence obtained from the Lao government, (I'm the only ham in the country).

No-one has put any 'obstacles' in my path - either intentionally or unintentionally.  No-one addresses me as 'falang' - I have a name.  No-one has said 'cannot' to me ????

It's like a breath of fresh air.....

Tbh that all sounds good, may well be an option later on and to be honest appeals more than Cambo and Vietnam. Another thing I like about Laos is some great western restaurants, well in Vientiane anyway. May well be up there next year, you didn't answer my second question but understand 2 questions may have been a bit taxing for you ????

7 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

you didn't answer my second question but understand 2 questions may have been a bit taxing for you ????

".. I will drop you a line before I come and maybe have a beer when I'm there? "  That's a statement with a question mark at the end ????

In any case, if you're ever in LP, please drop me a message and I'll certainly meet up for a beer (?)

46 minutes ago, simon43 said:

".. I will drop you a line before I come and maybe have a beer when I'm there? "  That's a statement with a question mark at the end ????

In any case, if you're ever in LP, please drop me a message and I'll certainly meet up for a beer (?)

Mmmm, well you're the teacher, but I do think that can be interpreted as a question as it was clearly directed at you ????

39 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Mmmm, well you're the teacher, but I do think that can be interpreted as a question as it was clearly directed at you ????

Definitely not a question, merely a mis-punctuated statement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 8:14 PM, simon43 said:

Nothing is being wrecked (yet) in LP by Mr Xi et Al. The authorities are no doubt aware of the UNESCO status of the old town.  No one is allowed to smoke outside, the Chinese workers building the railway are accommodated out near the sports stadium and the high speed train station for LP has deliberately been built about 10 Km away from the town.

I see Chinese railway workers and Chinese tourists.  No flag-following hoards, no drunken driving (the main road in the old town is closed to traffic in the evening), polite Chinese couples etc.

It ain't Sihoukville....

555, so funny...

the guy is saying that he found paradise... until next time when he lands again and understand that he is staying in a $hithole...

Next time will be Portugal or France ?! 555+

Thank you for the laugh !

On 11/7/2019 at 5:39 PM, simon43 said:

Now if you want to come and live in Laos, bang the local women...then I suspect that your time in the country will be very limited! 

What happens if it's just one local woman whom i ultimately bang ?

What are your chances of running into trouble then ? 

I'm aware of the can't-have-a-Lao-gf-in-Laos law, but how typically is this thing really enforced in a place like, let's say Savannakhet or Pakse ?     And how severely is this law enforced ?   

Does anyone here have any remotely recent experience with having the "forbidden" Lao girlfriend ?    

I like parts of Laos considerably...and Lao women often seem very appealing, both physically and how they carry themselves...i also can speak and read basic Lao. If my situation in TH bites the dust, Laos could be of long-term interest to me. But it's no fun if you forever have to worry about the anti-girlfriend swat team kicking down your door.

Also, can you circumvent this strange law if you just fool around without partaking in full-fledged intercourse ? 

How far does this law actually go ?   Can you get pinched just for walking down the street with a Lao lady?  Sharing a plate of somtam?  Riding a scooter together?

On 10/7/2019 at 5:07 AM, simon43 said:

You need to pay it every year, and IMHO, that's a very cheap price anyway for a multi-entry business visa, ID card and work permit!

1,500 baht per month is okay. I truly hope that you'll enjoy your time in Laos.

I had to see a doctor at Savannakhet hospital a couple of years back and what I've seen was terrible. 

No this, no that. No anything. But the beer and baguettes are great.

Stay healthy. 

555, so funny...

the guy is saying that he found paradise... until next time when he lands again and understand that he is staying in a $hithole...

Next time will be Portugal or France ?! 555+

Thank you for the laugh !

[/quote]

What a total prat you are ????.  Learn to read.

I never said Luang Prabang is paradise - it has pros and cons, like any other destination.

I already discussed Portugal and France in another thread, and explained why I rejected them.

At least my current location is better than yours ==> living under a bridge

If you want to contribute something useful to this thread, please explain why you consider Luang Prabang to be a $hithole.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, Black arab said:

Simon, very interesting thread. Question, do the atms charge similar to thailand when taking money out.

Cheers.

Fraid so.  Typical charge is 40,000 kip, which is about 136 baht....

46 minutes ago, no friend u said:

you dont consider the laws against banging local women as intentionally placed obstacles! cute

I gave up wasting my time with greedy wives and hookers long ago ???? .  If I wanted to 'indulge', in LP, it's easy - just ask a taxi driver, (er.. for the best massage shop or bar, not for sex!).  When I lived in LP in 2013, I had no problems to find 'company' by discrete means...

Thanks for taking the time to post this and the updates Simon43.

I am in the process of marrying my Lao GF (it's quite a lengthy process, but getting there step by step), after that, we may move to Laos and LP is the only place I have so far visited that I feel I could live. 

We'll definitely make a few more visits before making any decisions - I hope I might have the chance to buy you a bottle of cider or two while picking your brains one day! 

On 11/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, TenDreams said:

Thanks for taking the time to post this and the updates Simon43.

I am in the process of marrying my Lao GF (it's quite a lengthy process, but getting there step by step), after that, we may move to Laos and LP is the only place I have so far visited that I feel I could live. 

We'll definitely make a few more visits before making any decisions - I hope I might have the chance to buy you a bottle of cider or two while picking your brains one day! 

Good luck with the Lao wedding.  I ended up marrying my Lao GF in the UK, as it was easier and cheaper.  The only downside being that the marriage is not recognised in Laos, which means we have to be nice to the village Headman whenever we stay in our house there.

• 1 month later...

After submitting my passport and 2 photos a couple of weeks ago, today I received from Lao immigration my passport with a one-year LA-B2 business visa, my foreigner work permit and foreigner ID card.  My application was made on the basis of teaching online from my rented house, and not working in a B&M business.

Im digging up this post to ask and clarify a few details as I'm really interested in establishing in Luang Prabang as well :

- Where did you submit your passport to ? Did you simply walk into the immigration office in Luang Prabang or Vientiane by saying that you'd like to apply for a LA-B2 visa and they told you that all you need to give is your passport and 2 pictures ? For info, I work from home as well as a freelance translator and renting a house for 1 year in Luang Prabang wouldn't be a problem for me.

- After I've made a bit of research, I've seen on the internet that you need at least a invitation letter from a company based in Laos in order to "sponsor" your visa.

I'd be happy to hear more from you as I find your post really informative so far.

Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Im digging up this post to ask and clarify a few details as I'm really interested in establishing in Luang Prabang as well :

- Where did you submit your passport to ? Did you simply walk into the immigration office in Luang Prabang or Vientiane by saying that you'd like to apply for a LA-B2 visa and they told you that all you need to give is your passport and 2 pictures ? For info, I work from home as well as a freelance translator and renting a house for 1 year in Luang Prabang wouldn't be a problem for me.

- After I've made a bit of research, I've seen on the internet that you need at least a invitation letter from a company based in Laos in order to "sponsor" your visa.

I'd be happy to hear more from you as I find your post really informative so far.

Thanks in advance.

Can I also add a question about taxation? I’m interested to know if his online revenue is taxed as income in Laos?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Did you contact them in advance or you simply walked into their office to meet them in person ?

What would you recommend to go through all the steps ?

I'm gonna be in Luang Prabang in March for two weeks and don't want to waste time and would like to know the best way to handle in the application in order to be successful.

I contacted them months in advance (I was living in north Thailand at the time).  I made perhaps 5 inspection trips to Luang Prabang before I finally moved, in order to check on internet speeds, tax affairs, visas, PR etc.

Archived