City designates 3 no-parking areas to ease traffic

Rimmer

City designates 3 no-parking areas to ease traffic

p2-N-Oct-04-04-City-focuses.jpg

PATTAYA:--The city has designated 3 areas where parking will no longer be permitted. Crews will be sent out to paint red and white stripes in a move to facilitate better traffic flow throughout the city.

The 3 areas are Thepprasit Road at the flea market, Jomtien Beach Road between Soi 18 and Soi 19, and all areas along Pattaya Beach Road where construction of the flood prevention system is ongoing.

The announcement came Oct. 4 at a city hall meeting with relevant officials.

The stated aim of the measures is to keep buses and taxis from jamming up the roadways by parking in inappropriate areas, especially during the city-wide construction currently underway until next year.

Pattaya Police said they cannot station officers at those sites 24-hours a day, but will increase their patrols and issue fines to anyone ignoring the no parking restrictions.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-10-06--

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Pattaya Police said they cannot station officers at those sites 24-hours a day, but will increase their patrols and issue fines to anyone ignoring the no parking restrictions.

Great revenue opportunity for City Hall if only they can get the fines paid...

2 hours ago, tgw said:

there is still the sidewalk... no doubt the "completely independent" enforcement officers will have no objection - most indians walk on the traffic lane anyway.

Lots of people walk on the roadway because sidewalks on the east side of beach road are too narrow for the volume of pedestrians. Also the sidewalk is blocked by poles, telephone booths, and vendors and their tables displaying their goods.

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Lots of people walk on the roadway because sidewalks on the east side of beach road are too narrow for the volume of pedestrians. Also the sidewalk is blocked by poles, telephone booths, and vendors and their tables displaying their goods.

I believe the telephone booths have been removed.

The strange thing is, I always manage to use the sidewalk.

13 hours ago, Rimmer said:

and all areas along Pattaya Beach Road

I will believe it when I see it. From the coaches to the rental bikes, they have been saying the same for years. Oh, no parking on the 3 main arteries into town would help too!

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

no parking on the 3 main arteries into town would help too!

The one insurmountable problem they have is there is no where else to park, no planning, no forethought & sheer greed has led to every spare m of land being built on with no thought for the future, add to that no decent "public transportation" they are fighting a losing battle - of their own making!

16 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Man-power such a big problem of course.  Example:  3 police and their 3 motorbikes yesterday eve across from terminal 21 .  One blowing his whistle and holding his hand to slow traffic once in a while to purportedly help pedestrians to cross second road, the other 2 police were hanging back straightening their uniforms and making sure no one stole their motorbikes I guess.  Totally unnecessary IMO (traffic was no worse than usual) have only seen this on Sunday. 

Then recently they are along beach road "waving along" at traffic who ignore them as they must keep a sharp eye out of their own as they are being funneled from 3 lanes to 1. 

My favorite useless job observed, is a guy at Central festival who does this.  Just stands there blowing his whistle and purportedly helping traffic flow by "waving along" the people exiting from the parking lot onto second road.  Never understood this job.  Guy seems to just blow his whistle indesciminantley looking at no one, and waving his hand like a traffic cop whenever he feels like it.  Drivers are not hearing the whistle or following his useless hand gestures, they are all busy merging into traffic using their own 2 eyes.  

and just who is going to enforce "no parking"

I see loads of vehicles parked where red and white paint is, especially opposite a U turn. They park and not allow free flow of traffic, causing problems.

Never see any coppers to book them never ever.

Perhaps a new thing should be brought in, A SQUAD (and a big SQUAD) of TRAFFIC WARDENS....like we have in the Uk..be employed to book motorbikes with illegible rear number plates, and other vehicles that HAVE NO TAX/Insurance stickers on the left hansdide of windscreen.

Also to book all those that DOUBLE PARK...and just put their hazard warning lights on.

These light are NOT for this purpose.....but Thais do NOT KNOW THIS !!

"No parking" is optional and seemingly ignored. Wearing of helmets is mandatory when driving/riding a scooter and is also ignored. These feeble attempts by an impotent administration, coupled with poor enforcement and public apathy, makes all these declarations a waste of time.

None of the cities or for that matter Thailand has not planned for cars and other vehicles to park , They are still in the Bullock and cart age . except for a few Big super markets they have some parking . Down here the hospitals are the worst, must drive around for Hrs than still have to park a Klm away sometimes more . Shopping in the city is a no no unless you on a motor bike , than you might find a parking spot.

11 hours ago, Skallywag said:

My favorite useless job observed, is a guy at Central festival who does this.  Just stands there blowing his whistle and purportedly helping traffic flow by "waving along" the people exiting from the parking lot onto second road.  Never understood this job.  Guy seems to just blow his whistle indesciminantley looking at no one, and waving his hand like a traffic cop whenever he feels like it.  Drivers are not hearing the whistle or following his useless hand gestures, they are all busy merging into traffic using their own 2 eyes.  

This chappie received his whistle (a very expensive one I might add) for his birthday earlier this year but his wife would not allow him to use it in or around the house and suggested he either shoved it up his never come down or go to Central and annoy the folks there....he chose the latter :clap2:

6 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Man-power such a big problem of course.  Example:  3 police and their 3 motorbikes yesterday eve across from terminal 21 .  One blowing his whistle and holding his hand to slow traffic once in a while to purportedly help pedestrians to cross second road, the other 2 police were hanging back straightening their uniforms and making sure no one stole their motorbikes I guess.  Totally unnecessary IMO (traffic was no worse than usual) have only seen this on Sunday. 

Then recently they are along beach road "waving along" at traffic who ignore them as they must keep a sharp eye out of their own as they are being funneled from 3 lanes to 1. 

Whistles.

In UK it's often said some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

In some other countries -----

All that BRAND new red 'n' white no parking along Jomtien Beach Road - fully loaded with parked cars and motorbikes this morning. And was ANYONE parked across the street where it was LEGAL? Of course not.

Good,people keeping the local economy alive.

Parked across the street on someones private land ? Not free.

Motorists pay road tax,and fuel tax already but it seems thats not enough,government/city hall want tourists but provide no where to park...maybe everyone should be an Olympic cyclist or Tour de France champion..be gone yee dinosaur fuel combustion engine fiends [emoji39]

Nice they are banning parking on Beach Road during the road work--finally and after bad traffic jams. If they were smart they would make the ban permanent and they could widen the sidewalks on the shops side to handle the crowds and either have a covering for shade or add trees.

21 hours ago, CGW said:

The one insurmountable problem they have is there is no where else to park, no planning, no forethought & sheer greed has led to every spare m of land being built on with no thought for the future, add to that no decent "public transportation" they are fighting a losing battle - of their own making!

Well I am unsure that City Hall have an obligation to provide parking for those who have businesses along the 3 main roads into town, they are the people who park and double park there, along with the odd customers. But isn't this what we see in other major cities around the world? I certainly agree there seems to be no effort to build appropriate parking around town, greed has driven that. The planners should buy up some parcels of land and create parking, but are too busy planning their own futures. 

On 10/6/2019 at 10:19 PM, Banana7 said:

and people sat on mats....scoffing thai food and drinking !!

On 10/7/2019 at 9:06 AM, CGW said:

where are the TRAMS going to operate....??

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The planners should buy up some parcels of land and create parking, but are too busy planning their own futures. 

Planners? is there such a position in Thailand, if it is they are not doing a very good job or they don't listen to what people would like to see happen! Possibly they have misunderstood the term "planner" instead of adding green spaces and parking spots they have sold the land to the highest bidder and built yet another shopping centre, or maybe that is the plan :wink:

14 hours ago, newnative said:

Nice they are banning parking on Beach Road during the road work--finally and after bad traffic jams. If they were smart they would make the ban permanent and they could widen the sidewalks on the shops side to handle the crowds and either have a covering for shade or add trees.

Just make beach road pedestrian all the way along.

Wouldn't take much to have a shuttle tram down the middle, fenced off except for on/off stops and on/off areas the only crossings as well.

Of course they need to fix the drains and areas that flood every year first so, now I've said that best forget the whole idea.

3 hours ago, essox essox said:

where are the TRAMS going to operate....??

The Baht Bus system is much better for the consumer..cheap,frequent,stops where you want it to, can be hired to go anywhere/change route as needed...they tried a shuttle bus x 2 that I can remember..didn't last long and nor I suspect would the trams.

Archived