Driving motorbike for youngsters in Thailand

glegolo

5 hours ago, papa al said:

?? Your 'logic' escapes me.

What is the number then?

Personally,

... have seen quite a few Thais splated on the road,

but don't recall seeng any juveniles among those.

...been hit by other drivers/riders thrice;

2 adult women and a drunk 20 y/o guy.

Anybody out there been smashed by a child?

They tend to be sober.

R. Smith?

Methinks thee doth protest to mutt.

According to WHO stats: 15,800 youths involved in an accident when riding, 700 killed.

(not passengers - youth in this case refers to illegal underage riders) - but if you haven’t seen any the WHO must be wrong. 

Valid point on kids / youths generally not being drunk.

I wonder how A ‘true stat’ balances out to number of underage riders vs number of accidents / deaths vs comparison with numbers adults on motorcycles. 

Now, if you think 12-15 year old kids are safer than adults on motorcycles then I’m really not expecting our logic to be aligned and can see why my logic or any for that matter may ‘escape’ you papa.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand Population 2019

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/thailand-population      

Age structure: 0-14 years: 16.93% (male 5,933,269/female 5,649,86

15-24 years: 14.17% (male 4,943,583/female 4,752,038)
25-54 years: 46.32% (male 15,677,322/female 16,009,399)
55-64 years: 12% (male 3,851,575/female 4,358,837)
65 years and over: 10.58% (male 3,165,799/female 4,072,449) (2017 est.)

https://www.indexmundi.com/thailand/age_structure.html

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

- but if you haven’t seen any the WHO must be wrong. 

Again, your 'logic' eludes me.

&

"Now, if you think 12-15 year old kids are safer than adults"

Now where did papa proport that?

Oh, you confabulating.

10 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

IMG_4294.thumb.PNG.7dc7f01b32c3892dcc84baef6a349362.PNG

An SR 400 engine in a 1960’s 125 MZ frame, just spotted for sale on FB south Thailand..... a new level of stupidity

Sent from my FisherPrice telephone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1. Why?

2. Are you drunk?

3. If not, i think you posted in the wrong thread.

12 hours ago, papa al said:

Well, like 90% of the population here ride bikes

and maybe 2% in the west,

so....

What Papa Al is saying, is virtually everybody (bar the extreme HiSo  & Amart class) rides a 2 wheeler. That's like 60 million people on motorised 2 wheelers.

Say, being conservative, 20 mil on the road per day.

Just look at the figures of year in year out 1 million + sold.

I doubt colder (safer/sensibler) countries like Germany and the UK have on any given summer's day more than 100k 2 wheelers on the road combined.

20 mil vs 50k (1/2 of 2 countries mentioned) = bit of a difference.

19 hours ago, emptypockets said:

As I said earlier...all you poor Dudley Dorights need to get a life.

I sincerely hope you know what you accomplish by using that term.

First you admitt that it´s the right thing, otherwise you would not use Do-rights. After that you put it in a sentence where you dispise people that do the right things.

That would mean that you dispise doing the right things and following the laws. Wonder what kind of person that makes you out to be?

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That would mean that you dispise doing the right things and following the laws. Wonder what kind of person that makes you out to be?

Not a Sheep - or a lemming - to blindly follow others off a cliff just because it is the 'Right' thing to do

15 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Not a Sheep - or a lemming - to blindly follow others off a cliff just because it is the 'Right' thing to do

Now it´s about sheep and lemmings? How can it be right to follow others or even one person off a cliff? Are you suicidal?

I never assumed it was one or the other, unlike you. Now however having realised your error you are back pedalling. I have not read anywhere on here that the guys who teach their offspring to ride at below 16 or 18 are doing it dangerously. 

I learned to ride a motorcycle (650 BSA) at about 14/15, in a field. So why should others not do the same. 

You also do not seem to understand that there are two parts to riding a bike safely IE. the actual control of the bike under various conditions and then there is the riding on the road with traffic and other road users. Both are equally important. A farang who can drive a car in god knows where and thinks he can in Thailand is a danger to himself and others when he ventures onto the road on his brand new Wave, because he doesn't know the first thing about actually riding a bike. 

I believe the OP simply wanted to know the age requirements for riding motorcycles in Thailand

On 10/14/2019 at 3:29 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Now, if you think 12-15 year old kids are safer than adults on motorcycles

Definately safer than the amount of adults that drive around drunk over here,to be honest they are more of a concern to me than youngsters riding bikes????????????

On 10/14/2019 at 3:29 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Now, if you think 12-15 year old kids are safer than adults on motorcycles

Yeah i do.

In some instances.

A 15 y/o Thai kid who has been riding a 9 bhp step thru since he was 12, IMO, is infinitely safer on the road than some Newbie Felang who's just moved out here, bought himself a brand new 150 PCX and has never ridden a powered 2 wheeler before, bar when he was on holiday 30 years ago in Torremolinos.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:21 PM, glegolo said:

Now my question that is very important to me.... She is having her 17th birthday now 31st october.. Is she allowed to drive a 125cc?? Or must she stick to our 110 cc Honda Click??

Regardless of her legal entitlements, if her safety was of my concern, I would just restrict her to the smaller crotch rocket for now. Maybe when she's had a couple of years more experience, she can have a few cc's more.

Kudos BTW on her actually getting a license. I have 5 regular bike riders here, including Mrs NL who have been riding bikes in LOS for a collective +75 years and none of them has ever bothered to get tested and get a license. One of the few times I get all shouty with them is when they whine about being nabbed at a traffic stop or having to drive the great-circle route home to avoid one.

Sloths.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Regardless of her legal entitlements, if her safety was of my concern, I would just restrict her to the smaller crotch rocket for now. Maybe when she's had a couple of years more experience, she can have a few cc's more.

Kudos BTW on her actually getting a license. I have 5 regular bike riders here, including Mrs NL who have been riding bikes in LOS for a collective +75 years and none of them has ever bothered to get tested and get a license. One of the few times I get all shouty with them is when they whine about being nabbed at a traffic stop or having to drive the great-circle route home to avoid one.

Sloths.

????????????I must confess my Thai licence expired 2 years ago,last month I been trying to get my Thai friend to come and get license with me ..her reply I not had one for 15 year I not need one????????????????

On 10/6/2019 at 5:55 PM, Kwasaki said:

If your that worry let your daughter ride it when it's 31st of the month.

Depends on the road dangers of where you live and how you have taught where they can go and where they cannot from an early age.

Where I live my son& daughter were riding at about 10 year old. 

Out on the main roads????????????????????

On 10/6/2019 at 10:13 PM, Matzzon said:

No, I do not know anything about Thailand after over 23 years here. Never been living in Pattaya. Your starters is just a lot of bull, as is letting 10 year olds drive motorbikes.

I do know that Thais let their children drive, but I had some hope that you might be smarter. See, so wrong I was.

I never thought I would ever be agreeing with you.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, EVENKEEL said:

I was riding my mini bike on the road age 10 0r 11, 90cc motorcycle age 12 on the road. I gave the step son my Raider 150 when he was around 15 or 16 to get to school.

There's nothing wrong with kids learning at an early age to ride if done correctly.

There is plenty wrong with letting underage kids ride motorbikes out on the road and putting innocent lives at risk.

On 10/15/2019 at 5:41 PM, possum1931 said:

There is plenty wrong with letting underage kids ride motorbikes out on the road and putting innocent lives at risk.

Sorry.  Has anyone said that is what they are doing?

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Sorry.  Has anyone said that is what they are doing?

I'm sure they have, though maybe not in so many words.

I will ask you, how many have said that their underage riders

only ride on private ground.

Just now, possum1931 said:

If even a small minority of posters can condone the Thai government and their ridiculous reporting nonsense, then

how many will condone underage, uninsured, unlicenced motorbike riders using the main roads?

39 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Most Moobahns are in areas with private roads. Even urban areas of Bangkok have private roads, not public. So lots of places to teach youngsters to ride motorbikes without going on public roads.  

28 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Most Moobahns are in areas with private roads. Even urban areas of Bangkok have private roads, not public. So lots of places to teach youngsters to ride motorbikes without going on public roads.  

Yes, very true, but I still feel that the odd westerner lets their under age offspring ride motorbikes on main roads. 

Although there are no other Westerners in my town/village, there are many stupid parents handing the motorbike keys to their underage children.

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If even a small minority of posters can condone the Thai government and their ridiculous reporting nonsense, then

how many will condone underage, uninsured, unlicenced motorbike riders using the main roads?

On 10/13/2019 at 6:53 PM, glegolo said:

There it come, the truth is that you do just not like to be father or a stepfather. Maybe you are just to damn old to cre or even bother to care about children. Just dont give a damn and let the children do whatever they wish to do..... Just give up....

Yeah who can fight that lazy inconsiderate attitude. You just dont care about anybody else than yourself I guess...

glegolo

What on earth are you babbling about?.

I've been a father for nearly forty years and a grandfather for 8.

I have no interest in being a stepfather. 

All of my kids, and most of the grandkids ride motorbikes- - safely.

Get over yourself, we are not all ageing, economic refugee old guys who come to Thailand for paid for sex with much younger women (or in many cases any woman at all who will have them). Some of us still actually have meaningful, active lives with age appropriate partners.

We can think for ourselves and manage risk quite well.

Gee, some of us actually have friends who are male Thais!!

Some of us even enjoy the thrill or riding motorbikes. I've been riding since 10 years old.  I bought my first Harley 40 years ago, Nortons and Triumphs before that.

How about you??

Stick to the zimmer frame with 110cc motor that you cruise the streets of the expat ghettos on.

You do your thing....I'll do mine.

I neither request nor want your advice.

Archived