Where can I get a quartz movement for clocks?

smo

A really lo-tech question. I have a vintage (pre-quartz) battery-operated clock that badly needs a heart transplant, ie a new movement. Can anyone tell me where I can get a totally mundane quartz movement for everyday wall clock? A friend tells me to go to Yaowarat but I am thinking there ought to be some kind of art and craft store in disguise somewhere around town  ("...if you can't find whatever you want in BKK, you can't find it anywhere") maybe at Fortune Town... Last resort would be lazada. Any suggestion? Thanks,

16 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Might want to consider just cannibalizing a 99 baht wall clock from one of those ubiquitous electronics shops on just about every soi in the city rather than waste time searching the city for “parts”.

Thanks, whowooda thought! Virtually "hiding in plain sight!"

Any watch/clock shop should have some,I bought a few off Aliexpress,

as I had a few wall clocks to fix,dont like throwing things away,when

they can be fixed,about 40 Thb each. they come with new pointers too.

Regards worgeordie

Ikea used to sell a great white 10" kitchen wall clock for B40, One "AA" battery lasts nearly 18 months. Six years now and the two I have still keep perfect time.   Last time I went there they no longer sold them.  Now they sell a different black model with just 4 Roman numerals on the face, not nearly as easy to read when bleary eyed, before the day's first coffee:  B90.   

All good things come to an end. 

Ok, this is what transpired: last night I stopped by a 20baht store and got one plastic clock with a quartz movement. This morning I went to a watch repair store stuck away in the back of the mall (first looked for a clock store that I had seen before but it has disappeared.) The man helped pull out the recalcitrant hour hand (which requires a pair of cutter which I don't have), and when I asked him if he could put in a quartz movement for me, he nodded. He also said (I was guessing, however correctly) that he would have to use the cheapo looking hands (read ugly) that come with the new movement. How much? 650 baht. How so? he uses made in yeepoon movements only because these last forever, unlike those made in China. I declined.

Then I went home and did the transplant myself from the 20baht clock (see pic - I'm going to order some thing that look a bit more stylish than them crude hands that are on display right now, but at least the clock running quartz-precise.) Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions. Otherwise I would have made the trip to Fortune Mall and not sure if I got anywhere more accomplished!

ps - one new thing I learned: clock repair shops are usually tucked away in the back/ground floor of the mall, you usually see them on the way out to the back parking lot. I don't drive, thus they escaped my notice until now.

WP_20191007_17_49_54_Pro_LI.jpg

Archived