Retirement extension

I did my last extension in April 2019 with the income letter from the USA embassy and have been out of the country since May so I may have missed this topic if it has been covered already.

If my intention is to put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for my next extension, is January soon enough or should I have had the money in the bank since my last extension in April??

thank you in advance for helpful replies.

Did you sign and get a copy of the requirements at the time of your April extension? I seem to recall a lot of people being presented with the new rules at the time of their application. Particularly after March.

You should probably mention what Immigration office you are using.

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

If my intention is to put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for my next extension, is January soon enough or should I have had the money in the bank since my last extension in April??

To be safe, I would do 3 months prior to when you apply for your next extension. Maybe someone could post the rules. Seems like I also read 2 mths, but that may be only for first extension. 

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BertM said:

To be safe, I would do 3 months prior to when you apply for your next extension. Maybe someone could post the rules. Seems like I also read 2 mths, but that may be only for first extension. 

No.

The current national rules are two months before for both initial and subsequent extensions. So most offices are following that but there may be some exceptions enforcing incorrectly. The OLD rule was two months before for the initial, and three for subsequent. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Just fyi...

Posted Friday at 03:09 PM by roo4

Also, be aware that Samut Prakan Immigration insists that the 800,000 baht be lodged in the bank for 3 (three) months before applying for a retirement extension for the second year and all subsequent years.

Officials there only accept the 800k on deposit for 2 months in the case of FIRST TIME applicants.

I had personal experience of this anomaly, to my cost, in May this year.

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

No need to have  it in the bank now.

The rules that went into effect on March 1st state it only needs to be in the bank for 2 months from the date you apply. It took a while for a few offices to get the message but I most of them are going by the new requirements.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Since you received an extension after March 1, 2019, the money should have been in the bank since your last extension in April.  In 2020, Immigration will do a lookback to see if your Thai bank account was in compliance for the last 12 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The rules that went into effect on March 1st state it only needs to be in the bank for 2 months from the date you apply. It took a while for a few offices to get the message but I most of them are going by the new requirements.

Someone posted recently a copy of the 'Royal Thai Police statement #35/2561 dated January 2019, which set out the NEW rules that you are inquiring about  in which it states 2 months seasoning prior to you application for renewal of extension of stay on the grounds of retirement. Maybe someone can obtain a copy of this and post it on here for us all to see and we could print it out? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Since you received an extension after March 1, 2019, the money should have been in the bank since your last extension in April.  In 2020, Immigration will do a lookback to see if your Thai bank account was in compliance for the last 12 months.

Read the OP again.

10 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

I did my last extension in April 2019 with the income letter from the USA embassy

He used the income option so no need to have the money in the bank now.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, Martyp said:

Did you sign and get a copy of the requirements at the time of your April extension? I seem to recall a lot of people being presented with the new rules at the time of their application. Particularly after March.

You should probably mention what Immigration office you are using.

No copies of requirements were offered or signed. Chaeng Wattana now but possibly Phuket next year

On 10/6/2019 at 8:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Joe and everyone else for your comments.

Edited by 5633572526