Water heater - life expectancy

djayz

4 - 5 years ago when I moved into my wife's house, I had to replace the water heater in the shower as it had stopped heating. I replaced it with one from Panasonic and now that one isn't heating the water either. On average, how long are these heaters expected to last? I can't believe they're only good for a few years. 

I have a Stiebel 6kw still going after 9 years.

I have a second Stiebel 6kw currently on its 4th year.

I have a crappy panasonic literally outside exposed to elements and it too be going 9 years.

We bought a 2nd hand Mazuma just for hand wash, still going after 3 yrs

And finally have a new mazuma 4kw running two years.

Cant believe I have five. The only thing I have ever had to do is to clean the filter inside the old Stiebel about 6 yrs ago.

So I think they are pretty resilient

Oddly enough, having read this thread a couple of days ago, and thinking hmm, mine must be 12 years old at least, and still fine, it has now stopped working. The little green light on the front labelled ELB has stopped working , although the power is still getting to it as the circuit breaker test button - ELB - still works and resets. I'm reluctant to poke around - electricity isn't my thing (red to red and black to black, switch it on and stand well back) so unless any expert can suggest a solution it will be off to Sinthanee to buy another one!

Based on some of the replies re life expectancy, I'm really confused as to why our Panaaonic won't heat after only 4-5 years service. 

As suggested, I'll flush with vinegar and/or Vixol next week, but fail to see how any calcium build up would prevent the machine from actually heating. 

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Oddly enough, having read this thread a couple of days ago, and thinking hmm, mine must be 12 years old at least, and still fine, it has now stopped working. The little green light on the front labelled ELB has stopped working , although the power is still getting to it as the circuit breaker test button - ELB - still works and resets. I'm reluctant to poke around - electricity isn't my thing (red to red and black to black, switch it on and stand well back) so unless any expert can suggest a solution it will be off to Sinthanee to buy another one!

I have one about 12 years old with similar symptoms but it still works fine.

My water pump died and I replaced it with a new cheapo one and it sort of worked.

I bought a new set of hoses. The original pump came back from Somchai fixit (600 baht) and the difference in pressure was amazing. Now I have to turn the heat up higher or not turn the tap onto full bore.

1 hour ago, JAG said:
11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Bunged up with calcium. Flush with Vinegar.

I'm not very clever at this sort of thing, could you explain how do do that please?

Best way. First turn off the power, disconnect the shower head and check the flow rate(time filling a bucket)

Disconnect take it off the wall, turn it upside down, fill with vinegar, wait several hours, reconnect the water hose in the reverse direction and flush, put the supply back onto the usual side and repeat the first flow check, if you didn't leave the vinegar in long enough, repeat.

If the flow is good put it back on the wall and reconnect.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Best way. First turn off the power, disconnect the shower head and check the flow rate(time filling a bucket)

Disconnect take it off the wall, turn it upside down, fill with vinegar, wait several hours, reconnect the water hose in the reverse direction and flush, put the supply back onto the usual side and repeat the first flow check, if you didn't leave the vinegar in long enough, repeat.

If the flow is good put it back on the wall and reconnect.

Thank you very much. That will keep me busy at the weekend!

33 minutes ago, JAG said:

Thank you very much. That will keep me busy at the weekend!

That makes two of us ????

How exciting! I can hardly wait!!! ????????????????????

• 3 weeks later...

The Panasonic Hot Water heater in Bangkok Korat Hospital worked fine. The sticker states installation in January 2005.  The water in that hospital must be filtered. The electricity might be a more stable voltage than many homes in a village in Isaan. 

Archived