Opposition to nuclear reactor project in Nakhon Nayok province

webfact

Opposition to nuclear reactor project in Nakhon Nayok province

Nakhon-Nayok-Nuclear.jpg

A group of residents of Ongkharak district in Nakhon Nayok province are camping in front of the Thailand Nuclear Technology Institute to oppose the institute’s plan to build a 20-megawatt nuclear reactor on its compound in the district.

The anti-nuclear protesters are demanding a meeting with the executives of the institute on Monday for an explanation about the project and to express their concern over public safety regarding the location of nuclear waste storage.

One of the residents, who are all members of the Khon Rak Nakhon Nayok Natural Heritage citizen’s group, told Thai PBS that the location of the reactor was unsuitable because it is close to the Nakhon Nayok River and is on flat land, which is vulnerable to flooding and is not in compliance with guidelines set by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/opposition-to-nuclear-reactor-project-in-nakhon-nayok-province/

thaipbs.jpg

The institute's other reactor has been running quite happily since 1962 at their Vibhavadi Rangsit site (Next to Kasetsart University).

This isn't a power plant, but given the choice I'd rather be near a nuclear plant than a coal plant, even one operated by Thais.

The flooding aspect would certainly be a worry, did the site flood in 2011/12?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the location of the reactor was unsuitable because it is close to the Nakhon Nayok River and is on flat land, which is vulnerable to flooding and is not in compliance with guidelines set by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

I'd expect the government to go through a public process and develop a comprehensive Environmental Assessment Report to address all such concerns. However, the 2017 Constitution weakened the public's ability to directly redress any shortcomings in full government disclosure.

Such lack of required transparency (was there an EAR?) may be driving these protests regarding the most basic questions that has been a typical government practice under the previous PM Prayut regime. Hopefully, the elected parliament of all political parties will demand the current Prayut government to fully present the government's position on this proposed nuclear research facility.

Otherwise, government evasion of a thorough public review will raise the perception of corruption.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

The institute's other reactor has been running quite happily since 1962 at their Vibhavadi Rangsit site (Next to Kasetsart University).

This isn't a power plant, but given the choice I'd rather be near a nuclear plant than a coal plant, even one operated by Thais.

But but but we need clean power to save the earth!

8 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Go SOLAR ...

I read somewhere that it takes more energy and materials to make a solar panel than it will ever save.

However, I just bought a solar powered power bank for my phone from Lazada....Bht 200, and IT WORKS. So that's my bit for saving the planet.    LOL

That river often floods.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

why not build a few  floating nuclear power plants. Russia and China got a few . One good thing about that is IF they get too Hot when something goes wrong there will be enough water in the ocean to cool it down so that it won't explode ,than they can fix it .

Strange how someone would rather live next to a nuke plant than a coal fired power plant.

Maybe India and China should slow down on building all their new coal plants.

I live fairly close to a coal fired power plant and have no fears that one day it

could have a melt down, and affect lots of people downwind from it.

Geezer

On 10/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, digger70 said:

why not build a few  floating nuclear power plants. Russia and China got a few . One good thing about that is IF they get too Hot when something goes wrong there will be enough water in the ocean to cool it down so that it won't explode ,than they can fix it .

yeah! - just ask the Japanese!  - about what happens when the seawater floods the cooling pump generators...

Archived